Reapply this cycle with low DAT or go to Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wooofl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to dental schools for the 2019 cycle with a 3.4 GPA, sGPA 3.1, 15 AA, 15 TS. My DAT scores made me very discouraged about dental school. But I retook the DAT a couple of days ago and still didn't do so great. I've scored 17 PAT, 16 QR, 16 RC, 17 GC, 17 BIO, 19 OC, 18 TS, 17 AA. My GPA today is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.0. I've applied to pharmacy school and got accepted which I'm supposed to go there this year but I really don't want to do that. I'm African and English is my second language, so for me, it's not that easy getting a very high score on reading due to the timing but I believe I can improve my science, PAT, and QR scores. I'm thinking about retaking the DAT for the third time in August but I don't know if that would be too late for this cycle. Everything for my application is ready but I don't know if I should apply in June with those DAT scores / GPA. I have a biology degree, 300 shadowing hours, 400 volunteering hours, a research program, two school clubs, 4 LOR from science professors and a dentist, and a proclamation letter from a city mayor for a project I've done. What do you guys think I should do? Should I apply in June this cycle with these stats and maybe add that I will retake the DAT in August? Or should I forget about dentist school and just go to pharmacy school this year? I was also thinking about sending my application and just start pharmacy school but if I get an interview or an acceptance then I'll just drop out of pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if dentistry is truly your calling, then dont give up! I would suggest maybe a post-bacc or masters to get the GPA up. Taking the DAT in August might be too late, but i would highly suggest taking some time off to really work on the RC. I know its a score dental schools look at closely. I suggest reading scientific articles every day to build your confidence, and take timed practice tests to work on the timing aspect. As for the sciences, what were you using to study? I used the DAT Destroyer main book, Organic Chemistry Odyssey, and General Chemistry Destroyer while using the Odyssey and GC Destroyer to build a solid foundation before going to the main book. Don't give up! You've come too far

Whatever you do, don’t go to pharmacy school. Re-apply to dental school or find some other back up career. Just avoid pharmacy like the plague.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard very bad rumors about pharmacy schools. I applied last cycle and was accepted to dental schools, but I have gotten emails from few pharmacy schools, saying they would interview me "for class of 2024". Really? This tells me the first year pharmacy students are dropping out a lot; and the schools don't really care about who their students are and are just so desperate to fill up their class to make money. Also, I have heard pharmacy schools are so desperate that they don't even care if a applicant has a college degree or took PCAT. I would avoid pharmacy school at all cost.

Edit: Just to clarify. I never applied to pharmacy schools, only dental schools. Pharmacy schools are looking through dental school applicants to send their interview invitations, which is very sketchy...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Please don't go to Pharmacy school, it is an absolute waste of time unless you love that industry for whatever reason. Study like your life depends on it for the DAT so you can score a 20+ and you should be alright, try taking it in early August at the latest so that your app can be ready for reviewed by late August and you won't miss multiple interview invite waves. If you need tips on the different DAT sections head on over to the forum and post there or just go through the different threads, much luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Bashing pharmacy seems to be in vogue. Cashing in ~120K/yr is not too bad. A pharmacist has the luxury of pretty much choosing their own schedule, a luxury pretty limited in dental practice.

• Dislike
Should I send in my application in June with those DAT scores / GPA or wait till August?

Bashing pharmacy seems to be in vogue. Cashing in ~120K/yr is not too bad. A pharmacist has the luxury of pretty much choosing their own schedule, a luxury pretty limited in dental practice.
It’s not really about the salary though, it’s about finding a job in the first place, and it’s only gonna get worse from what the projections have shown.

If I were in your shoes...

I would take a year off, push my DAT date to next May, and apply as soon as application open June 2022. Only reason why I would do that is because this will be your 3rd attempt at DAT. It's not that you can't take DAT 4th or 5th time, but it seems like you're having a hard time preparing for DAT so I would really take some time to prepare well for the 3rd attempt. To take 4th DAT, I heard you have to go through some additional steps like showing rejection letter from previous year to show you're still attempting to go to dental school. Also, I would heavily emphasize your background and experience. Being an underrepresented minority is a great advantage and part of your character so I would use that to my advantage in the personal statement and interviews.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Doesn't mean this is the right way to do it, and there may be much better way to go. Who knows, if you give it a try this upcoming cycle, you might be able to get accepted. Take my advice as just one of many options.

Reactions: 1 users
3 pharmacists graduate for every 1 available job according to Reddit.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacist working in industry here. All the job stats forget about us, but it's very lucrative and there continue to be more job opportunities for pharmacists in pharma. It's also a great path for those needing visa sponsorship (not sure if this is your need, but you mentioned being African). Salaries for grads with fellowships/additional experience start around $120k plus sign-on bonuses, substantial annual bonuses and GREAT benefits. Some positions start around $150k because of high travel requirements. I wouldn't dismiss pharmacy school out of hand, though I would be VERY cautious about what school you go to. Schools are opening up pharmacy programs when they shouldn't be, because pharm students are relatively cheap to educate, versus other HCPs, so they can bring in more students per $ spent. The quality and credibility of the school you go to WILL impact your future career opportunities and network. Not sure if this is the case in DDS. I'll say, too, I graduated with about $80k in debt, no family support. I don't know many DDS who can say the same.

Looking at US Government Healthcare Workforce projections:

HRSA shows a slight projected shortage of general dentists and periodontists through 2030:

Pharmacists

... show a projected oversupply of:
50,720 FTEs [full-time equivalents] if the 2016 healthcare landscape remained the reality (demand is 360K FTEs)
18,640 FTEs with a more expansive view of healthcare [demand of 392K FTEs)

So that seems to suggest that anywhere between 5% and 14% of the pharmacist workforce might face significant difficulty in finding employment, based on those projections. I hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

“I’ll just drop out of pharmacy school”.

Don’t you see an issue with this?