Reapply? (Texas resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violinsmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some advice on what I could improve on my application in case I need to reapply. So far I have 1 II received in late July (TMDSAS) and 1 II received in Oct (AAMC). I am very grateful for the interviews that I have. However, I am surprised I haven't heard from more texas schools at this point in time, so I am worried about that, especially since TMDSAS seems to run earlier than AMCAS. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.86 (TMDSAS: 3.90), sGPA: 3.74
MCAT: 512 (taken 2x same score - maybe this is a factor?)
ORM

Clinical Experience: 500 hours (Hospice care, hospital volunteering, etc)
Non-clinical Experience: 300 hours (lots of community service work, specifically focused on a specific population of individuals in my city)
Research: 400 hours (all throughout undergrad, working with neuroscience research, however no pubs/posters/presentations. Working on a thesis this year though)
Shadowing: 50 hours (mixed online/in-person. I had difficulty with shadowing due to COVID)
Leadership: 3-4 leadership positions
LOR: maybe not the strongest?
Casper: 75th-100th percentile

School List:
ALL TMDSAS MD Schools (complete end of June)
  1. Tulane
  2. Emory
  3. George Washington
  4. MCW
  5. Loyola
  6. Temple
  7. Wake Forest
  8. Quinnipac
  9. Georgetown - received pre-II R
  10. Saint Louis University SOM
  11. University of Pittsburgh - pre-II R
AAMC schools complete mid-August

I had multiple people review my essays & also practiced my interviews (mock interviews). I'm just not sure why I haven't heard back from more schools at this point in time. Please let me know what I should focus on! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When did you submit your TMDSAS primary?

Did you apply to TCU/UNTHSC? University of Houston Med?

What was your MCAT section breakdown?

When did you submit your TMDSAS primary?

Did you apply to TCU/UNTHSC? University of Houston Med?

What was your MCAT section breakdown?
TMDSAS primary was transmitted june 14th secondaries for all TMDSAS MD schools were completed by end of June.

Yes, I actually received an II from TCU. I applied to U of H as well.

MCAT breakdown was (128/127/127/130) and (129/128/127/128) for each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS primary was transmitted june 14th secondaries for all TMDSAS MD schools were completed by end of June.

Yes, I actually received an II from TCU. I applied to U of H as well.

MCAT breakdown was (128/127/127/130) and (129/128/127/128) for each time.
@wysdoc Any thoughts on why no TMDSAS interviews for the OP?

It's really hard for TX residents to get out of state interviews. I assume you already know that? TX schools are so much less expensive that it is assumed by many ad coms that a TX applicant would always choose a TX school over an out of state one - save the Harvards/Stanfords/Hopkins of the world whose prestige is such a strong draw.

@wysdoc Any thoughts on why no TMDSAS interviews for the OP?

It's really hard for TX residents to get out of state interviews. I assume you already know that? TX schools are so much less expensive that it is assumed by many ad coms that a TX applicant would always choose a TX school over an out of state one - save the Harvards/Stanfords/Hopkins of the world whose prestige is such a strong draw.
Yes, I would really like to stay in state as well. Outside of the first interview in august I haven’t heard back from any other Texas schools :(

Your application looks fine on paper, but your perspective on this needs to change from "glass half empty" to "glass half full".

When the statistics say that 10% of applicants get a single interview and a single acceptance, 10% get more than one interview and a single acceptance, 20% get multiple interviews and multiple acceptances, and 60% get no acceptances, I don't think you should look at having 2 interviews with about half of the interview season remaining as a "failure".

Your application looks fine on paper, but your perspective on this needs to change from "glass half empty" to "glass half full".

When the statistics say that 10% of applicants get a single interview and a single acceptance, 10% get more than one interview and a single acceptance, 20% get multiple interviews and multiple acceptances, and 60% get no acceptances, I don't think you should look at having 2 interviews with about half of the interview season remaining as a "failure".
I completely understand. I think I’m affected by seeing others online/peers in real life receiving multiple and wondering what’s wrong with ny app, but thank you for the feedback.

Is there anything I could improve on for next cycle in case I need to reapply? I would like to be prepared! I am wondering if I should focus on clinical hours and changing up my rec letters. Thank you for your feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
I completely understand. I think I’m affected by seeing others online/peers in real life receiving multiple and wondering what’s wrong with ny app, but thank you for the feedback.

Is there anything I could improve on for next cycle in case I need to reapply? I would like to be prepared! I am wondering if I should focus on clinical hours and changing up my rec letters. Thank you for your feedback!
If you are still in school keep your grades up, and if not look for a job that will build on your people-facing experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Update for any other SDN members who are looking at this in the future: I ended up with 3 II's (2 TMDSAS II's, 1 AMCAS) after my cycle and matched to one of my top schools on match day. I also sent out an update letter to both TMDSAS schools (after confirming they accepted letters) a month prior to match explaining my significant updates (new clinical jobs, getting good grades in the Fall, new volunteer experiences, etc). I am not sure if this had an impact on my decision. I just wanted to say trust the process, but prepare to reapply. Good luck to everyone in the future!

Reactions: 2 users
Update for any other SDN members who are looking at this in the future: I ended up with 3 II's (2 TMDSAS II's, 1 AMCAS) after my cycle and matched to one of my top schools on match day. I also sent out an update letter to both TMDSAS schools (after confirming they accepted letters) a month prior to match explaining my significant updates (new clinical jobs, getting good grades in the Fall, new volunteer experiences, etc). I am not sure if this had an impact on my decision. I just wanted to say trust the process, but prepare to reapply. Good luck to everyone in the future!
Congratulations, @violinsmed
Riffing on my prior comments I will say your glass is now filled to the brim :highfive:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users