Reapplicant; What to Add?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperlite913

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm here trying to make it so third time is the charm. I graduated in 2017, and have since worked as a medical scribe for 1-year, and a research associate for 2-years. I applied in 2018 with two interviews, and two waitlists. Since that cycle, I have exclusively worked as a research associate and retook the MCAT as my first take had expired. With the research experience and a decent MCAT retake, I really thought this cycle would be the one, but have only received one II so far. One thing I know I need to add, is that I did not add any DO schools and next cycle I will for sure be doing this. Burned out this cycle with 30 MD apps and basically never got around to it (lesson learned). Volunteering is my big deficiency now at this point and I'm working to address it, both for clinical and non-clinical.

My big dilemma right now is how to approach my employment. I am contemplating trying to jump in and get more clinical experience as an EMT, etc. etc., but as a CA resident, I also selfishly enjoy now having worked in research for 2-years with a decent salary. I understand the end-goal, but I was hoping I could get there with my scribing experience alone at this point.

Long story short, if I add some volunteer hours, do you think I might need to change employment and gather more clinical hours? Maybe shadowing alone could add some meaningful clinical hours without having to jump ship? Anything else here that I should be considering? Alternatives or suggestions?

Stats:
sGPA: 3.60
cGPA: 3.60
MCAT: 511 (expired), 516 (2021)
Clinical Experience: 1200hrs working as a medical scribe. Around 100 from a volunteer trip I took to Nepal.
Research: 4000+hrs at this point, RA in medical device research.
Non-Clinical Experiences: In total, probably around 100 non-clinical volunteer stuff (Habitat, Animal Shelter) and 100 for clinical stuff (DO school scheduling, same volunteer trip). This might not seem initially like a big deficiency, but most all of this has now been several years ago, and none of it really stands out.
Shadowing: This is also a question from me. I have NO shadowing experience, only experience I have is working as a scribe and doing some shadowing on my volunteer trip to Nepal. Big red flag here? Look to shadow more?
Residence: CA (Ties to NC)
Schools I applied to: I regrettably got way too excited by a semi-decent MCAT score and went a little top-heavy here. All submitted in July/August.
-ALL UC's (Donations, I know)
-Colorado, Utah, Oregon (I really wanted to stay west, but state schools, low yield)
-Hofstra, Einstein, Dartmouth, Miami, USF (the top-heavy schools I think I probably should've avoided)
-Albany, New York Med, Jefferson, Vermont, Wake Forest, Saint Louis, Quinnipiac, EVMS, Hackensack, Penn St, Arizona - Phoenix, VCU, Virginia Tech, Western Michigan (Schools I thought I had a legitimate shot with).

No DO's but will be adding some next cycle for sure..

Members don't see this ad.

A few thoughts:

• Given your significant scribe experience, I'm not sure you need to leave your well-paid job to volunteer or even to accept a lower paid clinical full-time position. You should commit to some clinical experience because based on what you've been doing, it seems like you're more interested in being a researcher than a clinician. Can you commit to one day a week? Could you reduce your hours at the research position and have more time for clinical work or for volunteering of any kind?
  • Shadowing? Some schools really want to see some shadowing. I've seen the figure 50 hours bandied about. Other admissions directors whom I've spoken with don't value shadowing much at all because you are entirely passive in the experience. Bottom line, to be on the safe side, try to add to your shadowing, but don't drive yourself nuts. As a scribe you are also "shadowing" and as you said you did some in Nepal. I think the non-passive clinical experience is more important.
  • You already realize that you aimed too high and intend to adjust to MD programs where you are more competitive and to add DO programs. Good move.
  • There is one big unknown in your post and that's the quality of presentation in your primary and secondary applications. I'm a little surprised you only received 1 II this cycle and wonder if you haven't presented your qualifications well. In a forum post it's fine to talk about X hours of this and Y hours of that. In an application, you need to focus more on what you accomplished, what you learned, and what you contributed. What change did you effect? How did you grow from each of these experiences.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user