reapplicant (right now) need some advice asap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm a reapplicant. I had a few interviews, got on a few waitlists, but no acceptances. So me and my friends made this video for a film competition, and I thought it was pretty good. I played a big part in writing and directing it. And I'm wondering if you guys would think it'd be a good idea to submit it in an update to the schools im waitlisted at. Do you think it would help me? I think it might show I'm creative and outgoing, and I have other interests besides strict academics. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's only 5 minutes. It's funny and clean.

Members don't see this ad.

It will be ignored. Try and figure out what your deficits (like interviewing skills) are and fix those.

Hey guys. So I'm a reapplicant. I had a few interviews, got on a few waitlists, but no acceptances. So me and my friends made this video for a film competition, and I thought it was pretty good. I played a big part in writing and directing it. And I'm wondering if you guys would think it'd be a good idea to submit it in an update to the schools im waitlisted at. Do you think it would help me? I think it might show I'm creative and outgoing, and I have other interests besides strict academics. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's only 5 minutes. It's funny and clean.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be okay to send in letter of interest/intent in video form, but maybe not this video because it is irrelevant to medical school (unless you can explain how this video and the production of the video show that you are a good candidate for their school). I know some schools are receptive to letters and updates and a video will definitely make your submission stand out, but just make sure it really highlights why you want to go to their medical school and how you can contribute to their school. I am also on a few wait-lists right now (no acceptances), so I hope we both get off this wait-list train soon!

that guy has a long neck

Didn't finish watching it, but got the gist. I wouldn't brag excessively about writing and producing that. It's pretty stupid and doesn't demonstrate an excessive amount of maturity for the folks who made it. Now if it somehow won some kind of honor that might be worth mentioning, without actually having to show or link it for the ADCOM's

Do you have any volunteering/research/teaching/shadowing you can update them with? A letter of interest with a little update is probably all you can do at this point anyways.

Definitely be prepping to reapply this year (unless you are taking an additional year off). Hopefully you have made up for weaknesses in this gap year. Make sure your MCAT is still valid too.

Good Luck!

...just watched part of the video...DON'T send this to an adcom. omg lol

...just watched the whole video...DEFINITELY don't send this to anyone affiliated with medical school ever. Maybe frame it as: "Produced/wrote a short film that was submitted to my schools film festival". But even then, having a good clinical experience or publication would be infinitely better than the video.

Yeahh.... so i have solid grades, solid mcat, good extra curriculars, a bunch of clinical volunteering, a bunch of non-clinical volunteering (I got most of that during this past year) and a decent amount of shadowing (I got some of that this year too). I also have a whole lot of teaching and leadership experience too. So, obviously med schools aren't going for the "traditional" stuff, that's why I think this video might have to come into play

Yeahh.... so i have solid grades, solid mcat, good extra curriculars, a bunch of clinical volunteering, a bunch of non-clinical volunteering (I got most of that during this past year) and a decent amount of shadowing (I got some of that this year too). I also have a whole lot of teaching and leadership experience too. So, obviously med schools aren't going for the "traditional" stuff, that's why I think this video might have to come into play

It's not going to change anything for the better, I promise you that.

Members don't see this ad :)
you really think because you made a random video with your friends then that makes you a better candidate in any way? We all have personal hobbies, pretty sure adcoms realize that. They don't want us to brag about it when we are trying to sell them that we would make good physicians.

DNA

Uhhh you must be trolling here. Either that, or your personality/immaturity is part of what is preventing you from being admitted. Med school is professional school, i.e. it is much more important that you are able to act like an adult and earn a patient's trust than whether you are cool/creative.

I thought this was funny but it would be app suicide to send it to a med school. Seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
No no no. This video should NOT get sent to school. As an update or for any other purpose. It doesn't compliment you in anyway.

so you're SURE this is NOT a good idea? because May 15 is rolling around pretty soon and I need everything I can to get off that list. I don't want to spend another year making 5 minute movies, I want to start practicing medicine.

so you're SURE this is NOT a good idea? because May 15 is rolling around pretty soon and I need everything I can to get off that list. I don't want to spend another year making 5 minute movies, I want to start practicing medicine.
I've never been more sure of something that I can not prove with data.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not a good idea. You're in that limbo land of the wait-list and I know you want to do something, anything, to grab a schools attention and get off that wait-list. Sending that video would get their attention all right, but not in a good way. You'll just be making their choice to not accept you that much easier.

Reactions: 2 users
ah man, I don't want that. you think anyone from an adcom would chuckle? how about the part where the guy says "NAH, F DAT!" that part gets me every time. do you think they'd laugh... or would they be like "nah f dis kid's application"

ah man, I don't want that. you think anyone from an adcom would chuckle? how about the part where the guy says "NAH, F DAT!" that part gets me every time. do you think they'd laugh... or would they be like "nah f dis kid's application"
Could you imagine saying that in an interview?
Interviewer Adcom: "can you step out there for a minute please? I need to talk to a patient."
User12: "Nah, F Dat!"

Oh, they'd laugh all right. Then flush your file into the toilet.
I think you'd be better off sending it to the USC or NYU Film programs.

Clearly you do not have the ability to critically appraise your own work. This video is STUPID... not funny... poorly made... immature. I hate to be so harsh, but you keep asking for some praise and honestly there's none to had. Do not submit this ADCOM's as they have told you multiple times. Accept that you might be a reapplicant (although being on the waitlist you still have a chance). Send this video and you most certainly will be reapplicant and one in which you might have a red flag at whatever school you sent the video to.

Reactions: 1 users
Clearly you do not have the ability to critically appraise your own work. This video is STUPID... not funny... poorly made... immature. I hate to be so harsh, but you keep asking for some praise and honestly there's none to had. Do not submit this ADCOM's as they have told you multiple times. Accept that you might be a reapplicant (although being on the waitlist you still have a chance). Send this video and you most certainly will be reapplicant and one in which you might have a red flag at whatever school you sent the video to.

So... you're saying I SHOULD NOT send this to any schools? is that what you're telling me here? how about a school that rejected me already? do you think it could sorta, I don't know, RESURRECT it from the rejection pile? I mean, we just had Easter a couple weeks ago, so you know, this is the season for that type of stuff to happen. this video might just bring that application back to life!

So... you're saying I SHOULD NOT send this to any schools? is that what you're telling me here? how about a school that rejected me already? do you think it could sorta, I don't know, RESURRECT it from the rejection pile? I mean, we just had Easter a couple weeks ago, so you know, this is the season for that type of stuff to happen. this video might just bring that application back to life!

Ok. Now I think you're trolling. 6/10 for subtlety.