Reapplicant Opinions NEEDED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aburnet2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I applied to 3 MD school this last cycle not expecting much. 2 were state schools and one wasnt. Only got an interview at one state school and was ultimately rejected by all. I am applying to DO schools this year and one is my in state school (GA-PCOM) along with about five other DO's. Also, I am applying EDP to the one MD state school I got interviewed at.

3.46 sGPA
3.38 cGPA Strong upward trend from junior to senior year.
1st MCAT 21N (7ps, 6vr, 8bs horrible! didnt know what i was doing)
2nd MCAT 26Q (9ps, 6vr, 11bs) Tanked VR despite a steady 8-9 average in practice.

Clinical: (3000+ hrs and counting)
Worked in ER for over a 18 months as ER tech,
Worked on the floor (basically secretary/aide) in a hosiptal for past 8 months and still counting.

Volunteer: ( 140hrs)
Volunteered in a internal medicine MD office which was mostly clerical (25 hrs)
Volunteered in the ER before getting the job, (100 hrs)
Some summer camp volunteering from high school. (15hrs)

Shadowing: 158 hrs
150 cardiologist MD
8 surgical MD

I also have work experience in education from teaching biology workshops and two years of tutoring biology while in undergrad. At one point had three jobs (workshop leader, biology tutor, and home depot) was during senior year when I bumped up my GPA as well.

Good LOR: two from MD, two from Professors

Since applying I have started to shadow a internal medicine DO. I have started studying for the MCAT for the third time (so fun!!). I have been trying to get volunteering going in a non medical organization but have hit some speed bumps (they went on strike lol). Still planning to get at least some in before submitting apps in June. So I am wondering if I have a good shot this cycle since I am applying to DO. I am planning on hitting at least a 32 on the MCAT. My average on 2nd attempt was a 28 so I am sure I can do it this time around since its my third time going over the material.

I have been sacrificing getting a decent paying job for the last two years to get hosiptal experience. I graduated back in dec 2009. Since I am not really hurting in clinical experience I am considering switching to something that actually pays for a BS. Do I need to do a SMP or get a masters to boost my academic record? More volunteering? Where do you think I could use the most improvement? I am just not sure which route will be the most beneficial. Is continueing to work in a hospital, additional shadowing, and a little volunteering good enough to in between cycles?

Any constructive input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok so I applied to 3 MD school this last cycle not expecting much. 2 were state schools and one wasnt. Only got an interview at one state school and was ultimately rejected by all. I am applying to DO schools this year and one is my in state school (GA-PCOM) along with about five other DO's. Also, I am applying EDP to the one MD state school I got interviewed at.

3.46 sGPA
2nd MCAT 26Q (9ps, 6vr, 11bs) Tanked VR despite a steady 8-9 average in practice.

Worked on the floor (basically secretary/aide) in a hosiptal for past 8 months and still counting.

150 cardiologist MD
8 surgical MD

I also have work experience in education from teaching biology workshops and two years of tutoring biology while in undergrad. At one point had three jobs (workshop leader, biology tutor, and home depot) was during senior year when I bumped up my GPA as well.

Since applying I have started to shadow a internal medicine DO. I have started studying for the MCAT for the third time (so fun!!). I have been trying to get volunteering going in a non medical organization but have hit some speed bumps (they went on strike lol). Still planning to get at least some in before submitting apps in June. So I am wondering if I have a good shot this cycle since I am applying to DO. I am planning on hitting at least a 32 on the MCAT. My average on 2nd attempt was a 28 so I am sure I can do it this time around since its my third time going over the material.

I have been sacrificing getting a decent paying job for the last two years to get hosiptal experience. I graduated back in dec 2009. Since I am not really hurting in clinical experience I am considering switching to something that actually pays for a BS.

1) Do I need to do a SMP or get a masters to boost my academic record?
2) More volunteering?
3) Where do you think I could use the most improvement? I am just not sure which route will be the most beneficial.
4) Is continueing to work in a hospital, additional shadowing, and a little volunteering good enough to in between cycles?

1) Only if you want a better shot at an MD school. Your stats are fine as they are to get into a DO school somewhere, despite the VS of 6.

2) Definitely a good idea.

3) You are already attending to the lack of primary care shadowing and getting a DO LOR. I see the lack of nonmedical community service as the biggest issue with your ECs. I wouldn't mention the HS experience unless you do the same activity again. Your clinical experience is so good that the lack of research is unlikely to be an issue.

4) I think you'd be fine to get a better-paying job and get in some nonmedical community service on a regular basis, perhaps taking on a leadership role with time.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Only if you want a better shot at an MD school. Your stats are fine as they are to get into a DO school somewhere, despite the VS of 6.

2) Definitely a good idea.

3) You are already attending to the lack of primary care shadowing and getting a DO LOR. I see the lack of nonmedical community service as the biggest issue with your ECs. I wouldn't mention the HS experience unless you do the same activity again. Your clinical experience is so good that the lack of research is unlikely to be an issue.

4) I think you'd be fine to get a better-paying job and get in some nonmedical community service on a regular basis, perhaps taking on a leadership role with time.

Thank you both for the advise!

I was wondering your opinion on how much the 6 in VR will hurt me as far as DO goes, specifically PCOM-GA?

I am still going to retake the MCAT but I refuse to take it until I am sure that I'm ready. I am scheduled for the June 21st test but will push back if needed. I am not planning on it though. That is probably the latest I can take it without my app being late right? I was just curious how things might turn out if my new score doesn't come in until later like Aug or so. I am planning on applying as soon as possible. Probably submit early June for both.

I was wondering your opinion on how much the 6 in VR will hurt me as far as DO goes, specifically PCOM-GA?
Hopefully one of our DO application experts will come along to answer this school-specific question.

I was just curious how things might turn out if my new score doesn't come in until later like Aug or so.
Strive to be Complete at each school by 9/1. Even, then with strong enough stats, you can still have a good shot.

I'm not an expert haha, but I got 3 DO interviews, got waitlisted at 2 and accepted to 1 with a PS of 6, BS 9, and VR11. There are some schools that autoscreen the subscores, but since I got interviews at KCOM, KCUMB, and DCOM, I know those 3 don't. I think you would probably be ok at PCOM-Ga with your score, but I am not positive as I didn't finish my secondary for that school.

Thank you for your input, it is definitely encouraging. Congrats on your acceptance! LMU-DCOM looks like a great school. I will also be trying there since it is really close to my hometown in north GA.

I was wondering if any one else can comment on PCOM-GA's view on a 6 in VR?

Thank you for your input, it is definitely encouraging. Congrats on your acceptance! LMU-DCOM looks like a great school. I will also be trying there since it is really close to my hometown in north GA.

I was wondering if any one else can comment on PCOM-GA's view on a 6 in VR?

PCOM-Ga did an information session for some people in my MPH program today. The assistant director of admissions told us that EVERY application is reviewed and they look at the whole application and not just the numbers. She said they have accepted someone with as low as an 18 on the MCAT before (at least one of their 3 had to be a 6 or lower), but she qualified that this person was a more than exceptional applicant on all other fronts, but they obviously don't auto-screen so there's no reason to think it would preclude you from gaining admission.

Good luck!

Get a 30 on the MCAT, get good LORs, and write a solid PS and youll get into an MD school. Make sure you can expand on at least 2 of your experiences and relate them to your passion about medicine.

3.46 sGPA

150 cardiologist MD
8 surgical MD

I have been sacrificing getting a decent paying job for the last two years to get hosiptal experience. I graduated back in dec 2009. Since I am not really hurting in clinical experience I am considering switching to something that actually pays for a BS. Do I need to do a SMP or get a masters to boost my academic record? More volunteering? Where do you think I could use the most improvement? I am just not sure which route will be the most beneficial. Is continueing to work in a hospital, additional shadowing, and a little volunteering good enough to in between cycles?