Reapplicant needing some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m0nkeymanxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some help making a decision.
This is my third time applying. The first time, I didn’t get any interviews due to a low august MCAT scores. Second time, I had four interviews but I’ve been waitlisted at all. There was a problem with my letters and they got sent out early December, so my application was complete pretty late in the last cycle. I already submitted my AMCAS for the new cycle.
I’ve been out of undergrad for 2 years now and I was worried about what adcoms would think about the fact that I have been out of school for two years so I applied to a one year masters program at UMDNJ and was accepted. I also choose a master program because if I didn’t get accepted to medical school again this year I would have another degree to improve my application.
Now here’s the problem. I talked to one of the dean’s of admissions and was told that I really do not need to go to graduate school because of my decent gpa. I have a 3.5 undergrad gpa and 31 mcat (my verbal was still low, an 8). So what should I do? a) do I go stay at my current research job and get more publications plus make money, or b) go to grad school, get a masters, and take out even more loans.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry about the outcome of this cycle. I hope you still get in somewhere from one of those waitlists.

If I were you, I would continue my research job, and do some volunteer work in healthcare settings and APPLY as early as possible and to a broad spectrum of schools.

I really don't think you need to do a masters unless you really want to.

S.

m0nkeymanxx said:
Hey guys. I need some help making a decision.
This is my third time applying. The first time, I didn’t get any interviews due to a low august MCAT scores. Second time, I had four interviews but I’ve been waitlisted at all. There was a problem with my letters and they got sent out early December, so my application was complete pretty late in the last cycle. I already submitted my AMCAS for the new cycle.
I’ve been out of undergrad for 2 years now and I was worried about what adcoms would think about the fact that I have been out of school for two years so I applied to a one year masters program at UMDNJ and was accepted. I also choose a master program because if I didn’t get accepted to medical school again this year I would have another degree to improve my application.
Now here’s the problem. I talked to one of the dean’s of admissions and was told that I really do not need to go to graduate school because of my decent gpa. I have a 3.5 undergrad gpa and 31 mcat (my verbal was still low, an 8). So what should I do? a) do I go stay at my current research job and get more publications plus make money, or b) go to grad school, get a masters, and take out even more loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
m0nkeymanxx said:
thanks.. anyone else??

I am in a similar situation, I have talked to multiple adcoms now about this. The consensus is that with a 3.5ish GPA, 30 MCAT (my score), and good ECs, it is best to apply early and just broaden your experience during this year. For you the research, I will most likley just volunteer at a hospital. Good luck!

Your numbers are not bad at all and should allow you to get in somewhere. Make sure you have applied to a broad enough range of schools. Improve ECs (volunteer at a clinic, shadow docs etc)

In terms of doing a masters, if you don't get in this year, it may look rather lack-luster if you have not furthered your education. It seems you already have a solid research foundation so to work in a lab will not get you as far as improving something not quite as solid in your application. Honestly if you don't get in this year, there must be something holding you back. Figure out what that is, and then a way to improve that and make money at the same time.

If you choose the grad school path, look into the SMPs or Graduate level certificate programs. They 1 year long. If you go to AAMC website and search for post-bac you will beable to find a page that lets you search by level, type of program or state.

Thanks guys,

When I met with the dean of admissions of one of the schools i interviewed at he told me that my biggest problem last cycle was that my application was complete really late. He also did tell me that i need more clinical experience which i have been getting during this past year. i've already submitted my amcas to 27 schools compared to the 12 i applied to last cycle.
I guess my worries are that i won't get in this year and i will need something to improve my application next time. so the question is more along the lines of .. should i believe that i'm going to get in this cycle and make money through research or should i play the safe route and prepare for two years ahead because i know my grades is an area where i can improve (3.5 undergrad).

I think you should just go ahead and reapply. Make sure you turn in all of your 2ndaries early. No more than 3 weeks. I wouldn't do the master's program unless you are trying to raise your science GPA. If it's 3.5, I think that will be good enough for you to get in somewhere with your MCAT score. Even if you got your masters degree, it still does not guarentee you in getting into a medical school.