Reapplicant: Chances for MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammie25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to all the Pennsylvania and New York schools. Plus a few OOS ones, OHSU, UMass, Northwestern and Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on AAMC (just stats wise) you have around a 34% chance of getting into at least 1 MD school.

State Schools (Upstate, Downstate, SUNY, Stonybrook)
Western Virginia
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Chicago
Oakland Beaumount
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Geisinger
Quinnipiac
East Virginia
NYMC

Maybe these as well (these are more of a reach)
VCU
GW
Creighton
Tulane
Wake
Temple
Tufts
Georgetown
University of Miami
Drexel

Also through in at least 10 DO schools

@Goro and @Faha would give you the best advice.

2016 Mcat: voided first one, second one 502 - 2018 Mcat: 505 (I don't think I'll retake b.c I can't guarantee that I won't do worse)

cumulative GPA: 3.69 science gpa: 3.56

Organic Chem and Analytical Chem Lab Teaching Assistant - about 400 hours
Study Group Leader/Tutor for Orgo, Analytical and Gen Chem - about 150 hours
Undergraduate Research- about 750 hours (co-author on paper that will be published this year)
Medical Clinic Intern at Non Profit - about 300 hours (shadowed nurses mainly, sometimes doctors, worked with homeless individuals with mental illness, managed medications, wrote electronic prescriptions, scheduled appointments, taught health classes...)
Volunteered at Hospital - about 65 hours (more non-clinical, in-patient hospitality)
Service Learning Trip to Nicaragua - about 80 hours (helped around the medical clinic, worked in the clinic's pharmacy for a day, shadowed a nurse)

Currently I'm working full time as an Associate Researcher at Mount Sinai. I'll work here for a total of 2 years. Some of my work will eventually published, but probably not before this year.

Non science things about me: I worked at my schools Art Studio for about 380 hours. I helped people with art projects. I also occasionally taught pottery classes. I paint in my free time. I'll be taking a sculpture class in Fall 2018.

In 2016, I just applied to see if I would get in anywhere. I didn't and I also didn't apply broadly and only to MD. I would really appreciate some help / open to suggestions on applying this year. I'll definitely be apply to DO schools this year since I know I'll have a higher chance. I am Asian and a NY resident.
I suggest:
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
MCW (maybe)
Rush (maybe)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
SLU
WVU
U VM
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Your state school(s).

Okay thanks! Do you guys think it's worth throwing in some of the top med schools? Or would that just be a waste of time/money.

Okay thanks! Do you guys think it's worth throwing in some of the top med schools? Or would that just be a waste of time/money.
You already applied to top schools like all NY schools (I'm assuming all four Manhattan schools + Downstate, Einstein), Northwestern, Yale, right? I'd reserve that time and effort for others.

MCAT is too low to consider those schools as realistic options. Their average scores are close to the 520s.

505 is just scrapping by for MD to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.