Reapplicant, CA ORM 3.69/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
deleted ty!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can still get off the waitlist. There should be movement over the next month or two as students drop acceptances for their top choices.

One area of improvement I could see is non clinical volunteering out of your comfort zone. What was the activity regarding bringing gaming to patients? Was it fundraising related and then you’d bring them in and play with the patients? I think for this area, you want to be out of a hospital or clinic environment and working with those struggling in other aspects of their lives. Think homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, or helping foster youth.

Oakland is big on service due to their mission, so it was great you got an interview, but I can see that being one reason you were waitlisted. USC also cares about that. Practice interview skills just in case and double check your essays. Perhaps something small amongst those held you back.

Again, hopefully you get an acceptance soon. But here are suggestions for the school list:

Mount Sinai
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
USC
UCR if in Inland Empire, UCD if in Northern/Central CA
Kaiser
Hofstra
Boston U
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
California University
Oakland University William Beaumont
New York Medical College
Albany
Georgetown
George Washington University
Tufts
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Creighton
Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Western Michigan
USF
Hackensack
Colorado
VCU
EVMS
Drexel
TCU
Nova MD

DO: Try these

Western
All the Touros
PCOM
LECOM
AZCOM (watch the tuition)
KCOM
DMU
NYIT
Marian

work in mexico and peru don't count and could hurt because so many people are so naughty abroad.

it could still happen this year but honestly you're a kinda boring asian kid in cali with good stats and weakish ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will give you credit that maintaining a community garden in Mexico is unusual. Under what organization?

Bringing gaming to patients... what is the societal need? It's entrepreneurship and unusual, but I am trying to map this to community service. If I have trouble, many other screeners/faculty did.

That said, I hope you get an A from what you do have. You have a little theme with taking some risks and being a little unconventional with some activities, and this is not always something that helps in the process. Hopefully one of the schools that did interview you sees that as a strength.

Reactions: 1 users
You can still get off the waitlist. There should be movement over the next month or two as students drop acceptances for their top choices.

One area of improvement I could see is non clinical volunteering out of your comfort zone. What was the activity regarding bringing gaming to patients? Was it fundraising related and then you’d bring them in and play with the patients? I think for this area, you want to be out of a hospital or clinic environment and working with those struggling in other aspects of their lives. Think homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, or helping foster youth.

Oakland is big on service due to their mission, so it was great you got an interview, but I can see that being one reason you were waitlisted. USC also cares about that. Practice interview skills just in case and double check your essays. Perhaps something small amongst those held you back.

Again, hopefully you get an acceptance soon. But here are suggestions for the school list:

Mount Sinai
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
USC
UCR if in Inland Empire, UCD if in Northern/Central CA
Kaiser
Hofstra
Boston U
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
California University
Oakland University William Beaumont
New York Medical College
Albany
Georgetown
George Washington University
Tufts
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Creighton
Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Western Michigan
USF
Hackensack
Colorado
VCU
EVMS
Drexel
TCU
Nova MD

DO: Try these

Western
All the Touros
PCOM
LECOM
AZCOM (watch the tuition)
KCOM
DMU
NYIT
Marian
The gaming was similar in concept to NBA cares! We connected adolescents in several hospitals with some famous gaming professionals and coordinated matches for them. Mostly done remote and through voice chats etc. We did some fundraising through community tournaments as well. Overall, was a super fun way to brighten up some of our patients' stays and change the stigma behind gaming. Also, thank you very much for the school list! I will definitely be checking these schools out.

work in mexico and peru don't count and could hurt because so many people are so naughty abroad.

it could still happen this year but honestly you're a kinda boring asian kid in cali with good stats and weakish ECs.
Could you explain how work in Mexico does not count? I'm not doing procedures or anything out of scope obviously. Typical scribing/ triaging/shadowing under the supervision of a physician and getting pretty deeply involved with an underserved community over a long period of time with an org affiliated with a med school. I get that Peru can come off as voluntourism for sure though. Thanks!

I think because you are not involved with healthcare under the American system. Your work in Mexico does have a bigger impact and won’t be viewed skeptically like the week long trip to Peru. And the exercise program for those with disabilities and the cath lab should show you understand healthcare in other settings.

Reactions: 1 users
I will give you credit that maintaining a community garden in Mexico is unusual. Under what organization?

Bringing gaming to patients... what is the societal need? It's entrepreneurship and unusual, but I am trying to map this to community service. If I have trouble, many other screeners/faculty did.

That said, I hope you get an A from what you do have. You have a little theme with taking some risks and being a little unconventional with some activities, and this is not always something that helps in the process. Hopefully one of the schools that did interview you sees that as a strength.
I don't feel comfortable naming the org directly but we are a small nonprofit that works out of Baja California, provides community projects to the community, trains community health workers, does some public health research, etc.

We got the idea to form the organization because when volunteering at the hospitals we met some of the patients who enjoyed the same video games as us. The community for the game was pretty robust and we were met with positive feedback so we made it into an organization that networked with children's hospitals and professional gamers to create these once-in-a-lifetime matches for these patients.

Thank you for the help!

Reactions: 1 user