Reapp Next Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whereit'sat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This cycle didn't go that well for me. I have higher than a 3.75 s and cGPA also a 514 MCAT (132/124/130/128). 400 hours of clinical and 150 non-clinical hours. In no particular order here's what I think went wrong:

1. Not that great/bad Letters
2. No significant research
3. Couldn't articulate why medicine well enough
4. Low-ish volunteering hours

I want to remedy this by retaking the MCAT and also doing some post-grad work. I was thinking maybe a clinical job/research at a university and take a couple of hard science classes there. I also was looking into masters programs that would give me research opportunities and new science LOR opportunities. Because my GPA is already high, an SMP is not worth it, right? Do I have the right reasons to pursue a masters (ie not fix my GPA just get new letters/research/volunteering)?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? What are your ECs ? Any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?
Which schools did you apply to ? Any interviews or wait list ?

It looks like you know exactly what went wrong with your application. A 514 MCAT is good, and definitely doesn't warrant a retake unless you think you can score something like a 520. You definitely do not need an SMP. I also wouldn't recommend a masters, and would recommend you try to find a position doing research, especially one where you would be able to get a few publications. This would also allow for you to get a LOR from your PI. Try to fit in some volunteer hours while doing this.

Finally, completely redo your personal statement. Keep the core reason for wanting to go into medicine consistent, but rewrite everything else. While it's hard to write a PS that makes you shine above all other applicants, a poor PS will sink you. This is probably the easiest part of your application to fix, as long as you put in the work to get it reviewed by peers.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors