This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shushu12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied for DPT programs and I got an interview with CSI and Mercy (didn’t get into CSI - was a horrible interview experience). But idk if I should re-take some classes to increase my GPA. Here are my stats:
cGPA - 3.27 BS in psych (graduating this May)
pGPA - 3.36

Classes -
Bio 1 C+ (should I retake?)
Bio 2 A-
Chem 1 A
Chem 2 C+ (should I retake?)
Physics 1 A
Physics 2 A-
GRE
150 V - 154 Q - 4.5

Everything else my volunteer hours ~300
Did different settings outpatient/inpatient and I have leadership skills like president of club and diverse background

Idk what to do if I should re-take bio and chem and hopefully get A’s in both. This is my last semester and my chem 2 prof screwed the entire class over - I didn’t deserve a C+ in that class and my worry is because that was in my junior year the programs are confused as to why I got such a bad grade vs the C+ in bio was my sophomore year. Anyways I need advice should I retake those classes or just retake bio?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should retake any prerequisites under a "B" if you don't get an acceptance this year.
What were your A&P grades? Retake if not an "A".

Retake at CC if possible this spring or summer so you can still re-apply this fall.

Reactions: 1 user
Persionally, I would try to retake both and apply to schools that take top grade/last 60 since it will help increase both your pre-req and cumulative if they only look at last 60 or your best grade. Otherwise, it never hurts to retake the GRE. Breaking 160 on even one section of the test will help off-set a “lower” GPA. It also never hurts to get additional experience.

My GPA is pretty set in stone personally with all of the credits I’ve taken so my focus is on improving the GRE and gaining more experience in any setting I haven’t seen. Just my thoughts. :) I have similar stats and am waitlisted at Northwestern currently, working on improving for next round of applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to CSI and got rejected with a 3.8 gpa for overall and pre-req. Only problem for my rejection for my low GRE scores 146/151/4.0. They emphasizes on the GRE. At least in the 70th percentile for both. Their interview process was also a headache! CSI does not require BIO 1 or 2 so I would personally retake Chem 2 and redo GRE. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, you should retake any prerequisites under a "B" if you don't get an acceptance this year.
What were your A&P grades? Retake if not an "A".

Retake at CC if possible this spring or summer so you can still re-apply this fall.
A&P was A-

I also applied to CSI and got rejected with a 3.8 gpa for overall and pre-req. Only problem for my rejection for my low GRE scores 146/151/4.0. They emphasizes on the GRE. At least in the 70th percentile for both. Their interview process was also a headache! CSI does not require BIO 1 or 2 so I would personally retake Chem 2 and redo GRE. Good luck.

I feel like my GRE scores aren’t too bad I wouldn’t want to do worse, if anything. I might retake chem 2 and bio but I don’t want to feel like there’s no point

Persionally, I would try to retake both and apply to schools that take top grade/last 60 since it will help increase both your pre-req and cumulative if they only look at last 60 or your best grade. Otherwise, it never hurts to retake the GRE. Breaking 160 on even one section of the test will help off-set a “lower” GPA. It also never hurts to get additional experience.

My GPA is pretty set in stone personally with all of the credits I’ve taken so my focus is on improving the GRE and gaining more experience in any setting I haven’t seen. Just my thoughts. :) I have similar stats and am waitlisted at Northwestern currently, working on improving for next round of applications.
If I can break 160 that would be amazing haha, would definitely need to study hard. But good luck to you and thank you!!

To be honest, your stats are totally fine! To give you a little background, I received a C in chemistry 1 (A in lab), a C in chemistry 2 (B in lab) a C in organic chemistry 1 (A in 2 credit lab) and a B in organic chemistry 2. My GRE scores were average, my undergraduate cumulative is 3.5 and my pre-req is 3.6-3.8 because besides the chemistry I have A’s in everything else so they can clearly see I’m not a chemistry person, but I can manage to get An A in every bio course including neuroscience, A&P etc. I applied to 10 schools and received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances and (still have 2 more interviews to go to). moral of the story, don’t worry about getting a few C’s because it’s not the end of the world and my stats are proof of that. Your stats seem good and don’t let the few C+ discourage you because your other stats make up for it! Keep your head high and everything will be okay! If you have any questions please feel free to let me know! Also, your GRE scores are better than mine. I have a 149/149/4.0. Don’t worry about those!

If I can break 160 that would be amazing haha, would definitely need to study hard. But good luck to you and thank you!!

I’m sure you’ll do great and get into the school you’re meant to go to! I’m not sure I can break 160 either... just a little goal of mine. :) Good luck to you as well!

Yes retake but take them at a community college where it may be easier and not as stressful as a state university. then apply to schools that accept the better grade

To be honest, your stats are totally fine! To give you a little background, I received a C in chemistry 1 (A in lab), a C in chemistry 2 (B in lab) a C in organic chemistry 1 (A in 2 credit lab) and a B in organic chemistry 2. My GRE scores were average, my undergraduate cumulative is 3.5 and my pre-req is 3.6-3.8 because besides the chemistry I have A’s in everything else so they can clearly see I’m not a chemistry person, but I can manage to get An A in every bio course including neuroscience, A&P etc. I applied to 10 schools and received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances and (still have 2 more interviews to go to). moral of the story, don’t worry about getting a few C’s because it’s not the end of the world and my stats are proof of that. Your stats seem good and don’t let the few C+ discourage you because your other stats make up for it! Keep your head high and everything will be okay! If you have any questions please feel free to let me know! Also, your GRE scores are better than mine. I have a 149/149/4.0. Don’t worry about those!
Wow thats great congrats to you! Where did you apply if you dont mind me asking? Do you think I should at least retake bio at least bc if i think about it i didnt do great in lab - my freshman year was a mess I got a C I believe, but Chem 2 lab i got a B.Im worried it will ruin my chances

Yes retake but take them at a community college where it may be easier and not as stressful as a state university. then apply to schools that accept the better grade
you think that would look bad because I go to a private university

Members don't see this ad :)
i got into csi with right under a 3.3 overall. my science grades were pretty good except i had a c+ in physics 1. gre was 152 151 4.0 so nothing special either. im not sure how i got the initial interview but i definitely got in because of the interview, which was weird but went well. what was your interview day like?

in regards to retaking classes, i'd definitely retake at least one of those c+'s, not necessarily both. and gre is fine i wouldnt bother!

you think that would look bad because I go to a private university
Not at all. You will find that schools dont care AT ALL about the school you go to. Which sometimes is really unfair since schools differ in how competitive they are. They just look at the GPA. Prestige is just a concept made up by schools to get more money

Reactions: 1 user
i got into csi with right under a 3.3 overall. my science grades were pretty good except i had a c+ in physics 1. gre was 152 151 4.0 so nothing special either. im not sure how i got the initial interview but i definitely got in because of the interview, which was weird but went well. what was your interview day like?

in regards to retaking classes, i'd definitely retake at least one of those c+'s, not necessarily both. and gre is fine i wouldnt bother!

Wow! I did that horrible on the interview day then, sweating the entire writing section hah. Congrats!

Not at all. You will find that schools dont care AT ALL about the school you go to. Which sometimes is really unfair since schools differ in how competitive they are. They just look at the GPA. Prestige is just a concept made up by schools to get more money
my school is definitely really tough and weed out, so i hope i can work something out

So I applied for DPT programs and I got an interview with CSI and Mercy (didn’t get into CSI - was a horrible interview experience). But idk if I should re-take some classes to increase my GPA. Here are my stats:
cGPA - 3.27 BS in psych (graduating this May)
pGPA - 3.36

Classes -
Bio 1 C+ (should I retake?)
Bio 2 A-
Chem 1 A
Chem 2 C+ (should I retake?)
Physics 1 A
Physics 2 A-
GRE
150 V - 154 Q - 4.5

Everything else my volunteer hours ~300
Did different settings outpatient/inpatient and I have leadership skills like president of club and diverse background

Idk what to do if I should re-take bio and chem and hopefully get A’s in both. This is my last semester and my chem 2 prof screwed the entire class over - I didn’t deserve a C+ in that class and my worry is because that was in my junior year the programs are confused as to why I got such a bad grade vs the C+ in bio was my sophomore year. Anyways I need advice should I retake those classes or just retake bio?

Personally I think you could get into PT school with these grades, it just may be different schools than those you’re applying to. I also have a couple of C’s in my prereqs and have gotten 2 acceptances so far, so it is possible. However if you don’t get in anywhere this cycle, retaking one or both of those classes may be your best option to show improvement before applying again.

To be honest, your stats are totally fine! To give you a little background, I received a C in chemistry 1 (A in lab), a C in chemistry 2 (B in lab) a C in organic chemistry 1 (A in 2 credit lab) and a B in organic chemistry 2. My GRE scores were average, my undergraduate cumulative is 3.5 and my pre-req is 3.6-3.8 because besides the chemistry I have A’s in everything else so they can clearly see I’m not a chemistry person, but I can manage to get An A in every bio course including neuroscience, A&P etc. I applied to 10 schools and received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances and (still have 2 more interviews to go to). moral of the story, don’t worry about getting a few C’s because it’s not the end of the world and my stats are proof of that. Your stats seem good and don’t let the few C+ discourage you because your other stats make up for it! Keep your head high and everything will be okay! If you have any questions please feel free to let me know!
Wow thats great congrats to you! Where did you apply if you dont mind me asking? Do you think I should at least retake bio at least bc if i think about it i didnt do great in lab - my freshman year was a mess I got a C I believe, but Chem 2 lab i got a B.Im worried it will ruin my chances
Absolutely! Here are my stats and the schools I applied to below:
Major: Biology pre-professional
cGPA: 3.5
Last 60 GPA: 3.8
pGPA:
3.65(Usciences)
3.65 Temple
3.66 St. Augustine
3.60 AT Still
3.59 Plymouth State
3.71 Midwestern-Glendale
3.59 Emory & Henry
3.61 University of Lynchburg
3.50 MCPHS

GRE:149/149Verbal and Math 4.0 Writing.

Observation hours:
200 completed 100 pending outpatient geriatrics (worked as a PT aide/volunteer)
50 completed outpatient ped's

total=350 hours in two settings.

Applied: USciences, Temple St.Augstine (California), AT Still, Plymouth State, Midwestern-Glendale, Emory&Henry, Lynchburg, MCPHS Franklin Pierce(NH),University of Mary, University of New England

Interviews: University of Mary, University of Sciences, University of New England, Plymouth State, St. Augustine (San Marcos) (declined), Emory and Henry (declined my interview)
Accepted: Usciences, University of Lynchburg
Declined: Temple.
Waitlisted: Midwestern-Glendale(interview waitlist) MCPHS (interview waitlist-missing 1 pre req) university of mary(top 10 on waitlist, will remove myself), University of New England

pGPA:
3.65(Usciences)
3.65 Temple
3.66 St. Augustine
3.60 AT Still
3.59 Plymouth State
3.71 Midwestern-Glendale
3.59 Emory & Henry
3.50 MCPHS

Observation hours:

Applied: USciences, Temple St.Augstine (California), AT Still, Plymouth State, Midwestern-Glendale, Emory&Henry, Lynchburg, MCPHS Franklin Pierce(NH),University of Mary, University of New England

Interviews: University of Mary, University of Sciences, University of New England, Plymouth State, St. Augustine (San Marcos) (declined), Emory and Henry (declined my interview)
Waitlisted: Midwestern-Glendale(interview waitlist) MCPHS (interview waitlist-missing 1 pre req) university of mary(top 10 on waitlist, will remove myself), University of New England

Hey sorry I know this is unrelated to this thread but when did you hear from Plymouth State for an interview?? They are one of my top choices and I know they don't review apps until the 15th. Are you going to attend the interview? Thanks!

pGPA:
3.65(Usciences)
3.65 Temple
3.66 St. Augustine
3.60 AT Still
3.59 Plymouth State
3.71 Midwestern-Glendale
3.59 Emory & Henry
3.50 MCPHS

Observation hours:

Wow that’s awesome I hope you go to your dream school, I haven’t applied to any of those

Wow that’s awesome I hope you go to your dream school, I haven’t applied to any of those
Thank you and I hope the same for you as well! Everything will work out, I promise! Don’t worry about getting a few C’s because it’s not the end of the world! Your grades are fine, and GRE scores are great as well. Best of luck to you! If you need anything, I’m always here!!

Hey sorry I know this is unrelated to this thread but when did you hear from Plymouth State for an interview?? They are one of my top choices and I know they don't review apps until the 15th. Are you going to attend the interview? Thanks!
Hey no worries! I actually received my interview invite on the 15th (yesterday). As for my interview, I’m not entirely sure whether I will attend because I’m going into my last semester of undergraduate and I have classes on Friday and interviews are only held on Fridays. I’ll keep you updated though! I really hope that you get an interview invite since Plymouth is your top choice!! It’s a great program that they have I just wish it wasn’t on a Friday :(.

Hi there, can you please explain what CSI's interview process was like? Thanks so much.