reality of critical care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finding out that I really enjoy CC. I haven't even started residency yet, but I could see myself doing it.

For the pimps out in practice, how realistic would it be, to want to split your time between the ICU and the OR?

Is this possible at all or should I just resign myself to the fact that my employment opportunities will be limited if I decide to go the CC route and expect to be involved with the ICU on a regular basis?

By the way, I am done with interviews too and I definitely found my #1 out there. I just hope they liked me enough to even rank me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this as well.

How feasible is it to set up a mixed practice of OR and CC? Or for that matter, how about a mixed pain/OR or other subspecialty/general OR practice?

This may have been vaguely touched upon somewhere in old threads, but I don't think it was specifically or directly addressed...

thanks

keeping in mind i am only an MS-IV, i will take a stab at this, based on what i have seen in practice, and what attendings have told me.

seems like most attendings doing CC do split their time between the ICU and OR. The ones i have worked with do 1-2 weeks per month in the ICU, the rest in the OR. Sometimes it's every 4th or 5th week in the ICU. This depends on who runs the ICU. It might be Dr. Gas running the show this week, then Dr. Trauma Surgeon next week, and repeat.

i have less experience with interventional pain, but from what a fellow and a few interviewers have told me, most like to be in the OR 1-3 days per week, the rest in the office, with this varying between individuals. it is probably more of a "make your own schedule" situation at that point.

as far as employment opportunities, it is my understanding that you will not be limited, but to the contrary you will have more opportunities once you are boarded in CC or pain.

just my generic "think i know what i'm talking about" answer, but i'd be surprised if i'm too far off from the truth.

please correct me, anyone who knows better.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am an MS2 who was a PA in the ICU for many years before medschool. my interests too lie in anesthesia/CCM. i also know a few physicians who are doing it. there is some variability in what you will be able to do (depending on the hospital and practice you join), but you should be able to seek out what you want without too much trouble. even in the army you can split your hours between the two if you are dual certified. i think anesthesia is a great way to get into CCM as it gives you a unique set of job skills compared to the IM guys and it gives some job security in the future. also, its a great way to keep variety in your career which will keep you sharp and energetic. the two fields complement each othe very well and each one makes you better in the other. the only downside if there is one is that you have to keep up to date in two fields which could require some extra time, well spent though. IM is taking over CCM more b/c financially the anesthesiologist may take a little pay cut for the CCM hours. this doesnt detur me though. bottom line, get board certified in both and you should be able to find what you want. good luck.