Reality check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey skippy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for some opinions/advice. I am an osteopath in an allopathic peds program and want to switch to an anesthesia residency. I don't know how realistic it is. My COMLEX score are 450 and 500 for Step 1 & 2 (that is about average for step 1 and a little above for step 2) and I passed CS. I will be finishing up my peds year and I have a good letter from my PD. I also have an IM prelim year set up now with the hopes of moving into a CA-1 spot (if something opens) for 2010. I don't have a lot of experience and I have wondered if it would be better for me to try looking for other ways to get experience (research, ect.) in a program and hopefully a foot in the door instead of going with the IM prelim year.

Also with my average scores do I realistically have a shot one way or the other? Thanks in advance for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping for some opinions/advice. I am an osteopath in an allopathic peds program and want to switch to an anesthesia residency. I don't know how realistic it is. My COMLEX score are 450 and 500 for Step 1 & 2 (that is about average for step 1 and a little above for step 2) and I passed CS. I will be finishing up my peds year and I have a good letter from my PD. I also have an IM prelim year set up now with the hopes of moving into a CA-1 spot (if something opens) for 2010. I don't have a lot of experience and I have wondered if it would be better for me to try looking for other ways to get experience (research, ect.) in a program and hopefully a foot in the door instead of going with the IM prelim year.

Also with my average scores do I realistically have a shot one way or the other? Thanks in advance for the input.

Are you sure that your COMLEX scores are average and above average respectively?

Members don't see this ad :)
More challenging, but not impossible. Your best bet is your home program where you are doing your pedi residency (if they have an anesthesiology residency there). Get to know them. Best of luck.

They do have an anesthesia program where I am now and I have wondered if it would be a bad idea to leave (take the IM prelim spot even thought it would take care of a year and make me elagible for a CA-1 spot). I have talked with the program here and they know I am interested. One of their biggest hold ups was my lack of anesthesia experience.

I have been torn between trying to find some way in here (which would take an extra year of research or some sort of involvement) or if i would have a chance of getting in somewhere else.

Thanks for the in put GB. Sounds like it would be good for me to examine things here before going anywhere.

That's a good idea! My peds PD is going to let me take a 2 week rotation and spend it in anesthesia. I have some vacation time that is coming up and I asked about spending that time gassing but the anesthesia dept can't accommodate the time.

What year are you in residency? If you're an R2 I would tough it out one more year. Applying to anesthesiology programs when already peds boarded (or BE) would be to your favor, I think. Also, it gives you better job options if it takes an extra year to find a program. You could probably find a gig as a pedi hospitalist. You'll at least have decent hours.

If you're an intern, maybe not worth it. Clearly not if you find a program that will take you right away.

I'm an R1 so it does make it tough. I am really thinking the best way to get in is to get some research this year and get to know as many people in the program as I can. I feel like I am burning a year...but I guess it wont be a burn if it takes me where I want to go!?

What year are you in residency? If you're an R2 I would tough it out one more year. Applying to anesthesiology programs when already peds boarded (or BE) would be to your favor, I think. Also, it gives you better job options if it takes an extra year to find a program. You could probably find a gig as a pedi hospitalist. You'll at least have decent hours.

If you're an intern, maybe not worth it. Clearly not if you find a program that will take you right away.

I agree. A fully boarded pediatrician brings a lot more to the table than someone who did an internship in pedi. A board certification by an ABMS board will help erase worries about below average COMLEX scores. If you complete the residency, anesthesiology may not be quite as competitive at that time either. But by all means, if you can get a spot right away, take it.