reality check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgarg3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go to medical school and you're doing an MBA, everyone in the god foresaken campus thinks you're doing it for the money. Doesn't matter if you're genuinely interested in health care policy/ management. I went to this lecture, it was known that I was an MD/MBA, and the general sense is that you're doing it for the money-nothing else. Sorry I'm just really annoyed right now and I decided to vent.. Hopefully this has only happened to me..

rgarg3

Members don't see this ad.

rgarg3 said:
If you go to medical school and you're doing an MBA, everyone in the god foresaken campus thinks you're doing it for the money. Doesn't matter if you're genuinely interested in health care policy/ management. I went to this lecture, it was known that I was an MD/MBA, and the general sense is that you're doing it for the money-nothing else. Sorry I'm just really annoyed right now and I decided to vent.. Hopefully this has only happened to me..

rgarg3

I suspect there are (ignorant) people who believe that about either degree independently, let alone combined. I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what other people think.

Law2Doc said:
I suspect there are (ignorant) people who believe that about either degree independently, let alone combined. I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what other people think.

gotta love ignance :) It just became a running joke with people around me that they thought I was only in it for the $$$. I was always happy to talk with people about my real interests to dispel any myths. Other than that, don't take it personally. Whenever you stradle two worlds as you are, you'll see one side complaining about the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's as if people think an MBA can't make enough money on its own, and a person would subject himself to years of rigor and debt in medical school to get a little extra boost and financial safety cushion. It's horrid as an undergrad, where naive premeds and even advisors are rampant. I worry about how potential recommenders will perceive me. The head premed advisor, a PhD, can never seem to grasp my desire to use business acumen to advance medicine; she never fails to suggest MD/PhD or PhD alone as an option, since I don't show the "traditional" premed mentality. As for talking to people about real interests, it's pretty difficult battling nearly everyone I meet and having them still walk away only half convinced.

>> I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what other people think.
Ideally yes but if they are higher-ups that may affect you then it causes worry

That's pretty funny coming from somebody w/ a Trump avatar. Is that supposed to be irony? I always get a laugh when I hear MBAs or MBA wannabes complain about how they get no respect... MBAs practically run America, what more do you want?

Shredder said:
It's as if people think an MBA can't make enough money on its own, and a person would subject himself to years of rigor and debt in medical school to get a little extra boost and financial safety cushion. It's horrid as an undergrad, where naive premeds and even advisors are rampant. I worry about how potential recommenders will perceive me. The head premed advisor, a PhD, can never seem to grasp my desire to use business acumen to advance medicine; she never fails to suggest MD/PhD or PhD alone as an option, since I don't show the "traditional" premed mentality. As for talking to people about real interests, it's pretty difficult battling nearly everyone I meet and having them still walk away only half convinced.

>> I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what other people think.
Ideally yes but if they are higher-ups that may affect you then it causes worry

Just let them talk. Eventually, they will be pulling hair out of their head trying to start their own practice while we will be cruising.

CanuckRazorback said:
Just let them talk. Eventually, they will be pulling hair out of their head trying to start their own practice while we will be cruising.

I'd say that too. Except I have an undergrad in business and it is simply applied common sense. That's all. You don't need an MBA to run a practice.

heeter said:
I'd say that too. Except I have an undergrad in business and it is simply applied common sense. That's all. You don't need an MBA to run a practice.

I agree you don't need an MBA. I didn't have a business background so that's why I went for the MBA. With a business undergrad, it would be an overkill to get the MBA unless you want to go into hospital admin.

CanuckRazorback said:
I agree you don't need an MBA. I didn't have a business background so that's why I went for the MBA. With a business undergrad, it would be an overkill to get the MBA unless you want to go into hospital admin.
to enter vc, pharma, or biotech as an exec you would need the mba to get your foot in the door, or face an uphill struggle to prove yourself

about running the country--George W. Bush, Harvard MBA

CanuckRazorback said:

People who get an MBA don't do it just to open their own medical practice. I agree that most people who run businesses don't have an MBA, or even any business training and do fine. Without a business education, you would need to hire accountants, consultants, etc for the things you didn't know and could do fine. However I have one caveat -- I have known many people running their practices into the ground because of making bonehead management, operations, tax planning or accounting mistakes, so certainly there is some benefit to knowing some of the basic things taught in business schools or at least being sensitive to the things one doesn't know.
I agree with the subsequent poster as well who indicated that, if we are not talking about opening a small medical practice, MBA's are frequently necessary for VCs, pharmaceutical or biotech industry positions, consulting, and hospital management or administrative positions. I would also note that in many health related business industry positions (especially in major pharmaceutical industry companies), the MBA has become a requirement for advancement beyond a certain level.

Hospitals are either public or private. In either case they should be run efficiently. Hence, the benefit of an MBA. You don't necessarily have to use the MBA directly with your MD either. Perhaps, you might want to start a business in something slightly or completely unrelated.