BOTH Realistic 5.5 month study plan for step & level 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently figured out what specialty I want to pursue, but also realize I’m going to need a nice big jump on my boards for it to be realistic. What’s a reasonable study plan to maximize the next several months? We only get 4 weeks to study and take boards in May/early June so I’d really like to get a jump on things now. Anki? If so I’d really appreciate it if someone could walk me through which deck(s) and how to utilize it as I was not an anki guy the first two years. Been using comquest for shelf exams and have been doing surgery and IM uworld questions the last few weeks now that I don’t have a shelf this month. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty? How low is your step 1 score?

I see you’re a DO, in case you don’t already know your step 1 score will play the biggest role in determining whether you’re invited for an interview. Keep that in mind before thinking that a high step 2 will salvage a poor step 1 score. This is especially true and directly correlated with the competitiveness of the specialty.

What specialty? How low is your step 1 score?

I see you’re a DO, in case you don’t already know your step 1 score will play the biggest role in determining whether you’re invited for an interview. Keep that in mind before thinking that a high step 2 will salvage a poor step 1 score. This is especially true and directly correlated with the competitiveness of the specialty.

Classic SDN “advice”. This isn’t a what are my chances post. I simply asked for study plan advice. Thanks

Classic SDN “advice”. This isn’t a what are my chances post. I simply asked for study plan advice. Thanks

Well clearly you can’t appreciate honest constructive criticism, already a terrible indicator of your future success as a resident. As someone going through the match process, I was giving you honest, realistic advice but evidently that’s not what you’re after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well clearly you can’t appreciate honest constructive criticism, already a terrible indicator of your future success as a resident. As someone going through the match process, I was giving you honest, realistic advice but evidently that’s not what you’re after.

Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios buddy, but thank you for the constructive criticism on a post about study advice. You’re so helpful and insightful!

Not being a jerk, but do you really need a study plan??? Like what is there to plan?

It's as simple as it was for step 1. Do Uworld, watch OME, listen to Emma Holliday/Divine Intervention podcasts, do tzanki/dorian deck, maybe review a little sketchy.

Reactions: 1 user
Not being a jerk, but do you really need a study plan??? Like what is there to plan?

It's as simple as it was for step 1. Do Uworld, watch OME, listen to Emma Holliday/Divine Intervention podcasts, do tzanki/dorian deck, maybe review a little sketchy.

Honestly should’ve asked what resources and timeframe was best to use not necessarily a study plan per say. Wanted to make sure what I had in mind was sufficient is all. Appreciate it

Honestly should’ve asked what resources and timeframe was best to use not necessarily a study plan per say. Wanted to make sure what I had in mind was sufficient is all. Appreciate it

Ok. That makes more sense. Continue to study hard for comats and chugging along. We got this, man. It's honestly easier than how year 1-2 goes in a way. The info you need for school exams just isn't aligned with boards well but in 3rd year it definitely feels much more aligned between comats/boards.

Reactions: 1 user