Ready to pay more taxes!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saw my paystub and confirmed the ~$200 increase. I think it's time to finally open up a Roth and max out the HSA.

So, maxing 403(b), IRA, and HSA. Someone please tell me I'll be able to retire in my 50's and not live like a pauper even with early withdrawal fees.

Members don't see this ad.

Saw my paystub and confirmed the ~$200 increase. I think it's time to finally open up a Roth and max out the HSA.

So, maxing 403(b), IRA, and HSA. Someone please tell me I'll be able to retire in my 50's and not live like a pauper even with early withdrawal fees.

No, because you can't touch that until you're in your 60s.

Also saw the pay increase.

How angry are you trump haters, still irate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry Trump is just dumb and sucks as a leader... Cuban hit the nail in the coffin about Trump. I agree about less regulation on businesses and tax cut but everything else he stands for he is just too ignorant about the issues.

Mark Cuban on Trump Administration, Future of Jobs

Also saw the pay increase.

How angry are you trump haters, still irate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't really care for the Cheeto in Chief but my weekly paycheck just shot up $60+. I can't complain.
The big losers:
- live in a state with income tax (CA)
- new homeowners with a big mortgage (CA)
- homeowners with a huge property tax (CA)
- family with a lot of kids
- single mom/dad with kids

The majority of pharmacists will see their taxes go up.

Here are the winners and losers in the GOP tax plan

Tired of winning yet?
None of that applies to me. Looks like I'm still winning.

Sorry Trump is just dumb and sucks as a leader... Cuban hit the nail in the coffin about Trump. I agree about less regulation on businesses and tax cut but everything else he stands for he is just too ignorant about the issues.

So are you actually a millionaire

Re: jobs, not sure what there is to be upset about. They're coming back, baby. Businesses are back, taxes are down. I can get behind this

EDIT: Skimming through it's not surprising; as I guessed, Cuban seems to be on about the geek love of the tech singularity. However, wake me when it gets here.

The whole purpose is to uplift mankind out of wage slavery and other ills; well, we are waiting. According to their own feverish fantasies, they could easily launch Skynet. Some even like to imagine we are in the Matrix already

In the meantime it's nice to have actual jobs and a first world society. Geeks, nice or not, have no conception of society and stand apart from it. They should not forget that a third worldized society cannot advance such technological endeavors, and in the meantime the elites were busy building Brave New World

Last edited:

Cuban is all over the place about trump and changes his mind like a female changes clothes.

Mavs are last place too. The guy can't even get basketball right.

Curious, did you sell off all your stocks when Cuban the great told us that there's 100% chance the markets would completely crash after a trump win?

Why should the rest of the country have to subsidize CA? That is there problem that their taxes are outrageous. Maybe the people living there should pressure their GOVT to lower taxes. I am glad to live in one of the other 49 states where pretty much everyone is getting a tax cut

Reactions: 1 user
Why should the rest of the country have to subsidize CA? That is there problem that their taxes are outrageous. Maybe the people living there should pressure their GOVT to lower taxes. I am glad to live in one of the other 49 states where pretty much everyone is getting a tax cut

Yeah, why did we agree to OP's original premise that a majority of pharmacists fall under this list. No pharmacist I know has a family with a lot of kids yet or is single with kids. And most haven't brought million dollar homes with exorbitant property taxes. Of course the pharmacists I know are mostly in their 20's/30's. How about everyone else? Do we have any statistics that show a majority of pharmacists falling under this list?

Members don't see this ad :)

Doesn't CA pay more into the federal government than any other state? Hardly being subsidized by the rest of the country LMAO.

This is because you are ignorant of the facts. In fact, California receives less than $1.00 from the Federal government for every dollar it sends to Washington.

Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers?
So in reality, California Subsidizes the rest of us....
966724856.jpg

Doesn't CA pay more into the federal government than any other state? Hardly being subsidized by the rest of the country LMAO.
yeah, but they were able to deduct their states outrageous taxes before they paid into the federal government and thus they had a lower federal tax rate than the rest of the country. Why should someone whole lives in Florida where there is no income tax pay the full rate and someone in cali get a deduction because their govt screws their residents over. Now everyone pays the same rate regardless of where they live.

This is because you are ignorant of the facts. In fact, California receives less than $1.00 from the Federal government for every dollar it sends to Washington.

Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers?
So in reality, California Subsidizes the rest of us....
966724856.jpg
I don't disagree with this, just that someone who make $x in cali should be taxed the same federal rate as someone who makes $x in Florida and not get an unfair tax deduction

yeah, but they were able to deduct their states outrageous taxes before they paid into the federal government and thus they had a lower federal tax rate than the rest of the country. Why should someone whole lives in Florida where there is no income tax pay the full rate and someone in cali get a deduction because their govt screws their residents over. Now everyone pays the same rate regardless of where they live.

Right, but it is still inaccurate to say that taxpayers subsidize CA. It's the opposite, in terms of revenue/paying into the federal government they subsidize the rest of the US.

Just to be perfectly transparent I live in FL and obviously I am glad to benefit from the change in the tax code. But I don't feel the need to exaggerate or misrepresent the truth. Fake News.

Well, the issue is that the US tends to practice Keynesian economics during downturns...and then instead of paying it forward in the boom times...they just cut taxes. This tax cut is irresponsible. If another deep international recession happens, the US will have little slack to give in order to boost the economy back up should that occur. If we raised taxes and paid off the nat'l debt some as the economy begins to heat up, it would be more responsible. Right now we are in a global economic expansion (it's not just the U.S....and giving credit for what is happening to only Obama or Trump isn't really being honest...but people can't help but credit the politician of their choice) and everything seems great, but a correction will happen eventually. And we need to pay it forward a bit to prepare.

WTF happened to conservatives, anyway? Like 6 years ago, it was nothing but "deficits, deficits, national debt." Now, crickets. A commitment to actual fiscal responsibility is something I admire about the conservative platform, but its nowhere to be found.

Oh well. There aren't too many of us "I'd like a rational, evidence-based mixed economy" proponents out there, sadly...

Well, the issue is that the US tends to practice Keynesian economics during downturns...and then instead of paying it forward in the boom times...they just cut taxes. This tax cut is irresponsible. If another deep international recession happens, the US will have little slack to give in order to boost the economy back up should that occur. If we raised taxes and paid off the nat'l debt some as the economy begins to heat up, it would be more responsible. Right now we are in a global economic expansion (it's not just the U.S....and giving credit for what is happening to only Obama or Trump isn't really being honest...but people can't help but credit the politician of their choice) and everything seems great, but a correction will happen eventually. And we need to pay it forward a bit to prepare.

WTF happened to conservatives, anyway? Like 6 years ago, it was nothing but "deficits, deficits, national debt." Now, crickets. A commitment to actual fiscal responsibility is something I admire about the conservative platform, but its nowhere to be found.

Oh well. There aren't too many of us "I'd like a rational, evidence-based mixed economy" proponents out there, sadly...
Why don't we pay it forward by slashing govt spending? The fed has never done anything for me, all the roads/schools/etc around me are state funded.

Because there is a third option, which is the "I don't believe in the government anymore, liberal or conservative, I don't want to engage at all."

Simply put, because there are conservatives who do not believe in the government such that they act to take what they can while there are things to take. The rational decision when you stop believing in an institution is to milk it for what it's worth while you figure out something else to do. They know that the government is not going to work out because too many special interests have done the rent seek behavior, so their defense is to loot what they can and prepare for the day of reckoning.

Because there is a third option, which is the "I don't believe in the government anymore, liberal or conservative, I don't want to engage at all."

Simply put, because there are conservatives who do not believe in the government such that they act to take what they can while there are things to take. The rational decision when you stop believing in an institution is to milk it for what it's worth while you figure out something else to do. They know that the government is not going to work out because too many special interests have done the rent seek behavior, so their defense is to loot what they can and prepare for the day of reckoning.

...right. Do they have any non-insane ideas, then?

Why don't we pay it forward by slashing govt spending? The fed has never done anything for me, all the roads/schools/etc around me are state funded.

Well, interstates are obviously exceptions...

Back in reality, the hegemony of the US dollar as well as the strength of the US military are the reason we enjoy the quality of life we do.

Notice the chronology of the Dem BS. First they swore to you that your taxes would actually go up. They also swore to you that the 1%'ers and the CEO's of these companies would just be taking all these tax cuts and buying private jets and golden bathtubs etc. Now that the exact opposite happened, they have shifted to saying the positive effects are not enough instead of they will never happen.
I agree with the unemployment numbers point though. The way they count unemployment is flawed whether for obama or any other president. Part time gigs should not count the same as full time career jobs. However, if you do want to see progress, check the numbers of manufacturing jobs produced by obama in 2016 vs trump in 2017.
Checked job growth of obama vs trump for the same period 2016 vs 2017. Trump added 170000 jobs per month versus 196000 for obama. If you have a link comparing manufacturing jobs I'd like to see it. And companies are not even passing on 10% of the savings to the employees from tax cuts but are announcing plans for stock buybacks.

Checked job growth of obama vs trump for the same period 2016 vs 2017. Trump added 170000 jobs per month versus 196000 for obama. If you have a link comparing manufacturing jobs I'd like to see it. And companies are not even passing on 10% of the savings to the employees from tax cuts but are announcing plans for stock buybacks.

I think it's like 138000 added last year compared to around 30000 lost in 2016.

Yet strangely, unemployment has gone down under Trump. Could it be, that jobs are going to our good citizens?

Crying about big companies; I agree, big companies always have to be kept in line. Trump is doing it. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

California sends way more taxes to the federal government than any other state. Seems to me they do the subsidizing.

Yet strangely, unemployment has gone down under Trump. Could it be, that jobs are going to our good citizens?

Crying about big companies; I agree, big companies always have to be kept in line. Trump is doing it. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Unemployment has been decreasing for years now not just under Trump. Not sure what you mean about "good citizens".

Unemployment has been decreasing for years now not just under Trump. Not sure what you mean about "good citizens".
If you investigate further, you'll find that those numbers were achieved by goosing the definition of unemployment. People who gave up on finding a job, weren't counted. Hilarious

Also, Trump has achieved record levels in some areas

If you investigate further, you'll find that those numbers were achieved by goosing the definition of unemployment. People who gave up on finding a job, weren't counted. Hilarious

Enlighten me with a link to this info. What has changed since Trump to office with the definition of unemployment?

I literally just finished explaining to you why those numbers are flawed. Knight on horse explains it as well

As for the manufacturing numbers

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Where are you getting 10%? Even if that's true, it is higher than the 0% that the dems swore to us the evil 1%'ers would hand out

Once the recession was over, the US has yet to have a month of job loses. It's like 80 some consecutive months.

Praise be unto Ben Bernanke.

Not really. The number they use for headlines is the U3 number. That's the number that has always been used since the beginning and is still used today. Nothing was changed or manipulated. The number you seem to want is the U6 number. Which had also always been tracked. It includes a much more broad definition of "unemployed." It is usually much higher, as one would imagine.

Last edited:
Once the recession was over, the US has yet to have a month of job loses. It's like 80 some consecutive months.

Praise be unto Ben Bernanke.

Don't think bernanke would would have added "once the recession was over" part

Point?

Should we not be happy to keep more money now then?

Sure we can, if we are short sited. These tax cuts need to stay for me to be happy at least. If in 10 years I am paying more in taxes than I am now... I won't be happy.

Do you understand states like California and New York contribute more to the overall revenue of the country than any other states. States like Kentucky and Tennessee contribute nothing to this country except freeload off the rest of us yet they pay small state tax. California is actually subsidizing everyone else (I live in no state income tax Florida btw). You're statement is completely wrong and ignorant.

Do you understand states like California and New York contribute more to the overall revenue of the country than any other states. States like Kentucky and Tennessee contribute nothing to this country except freeload off the rest of us yet they pay small state tax. California is actually subsidizing everyone else (I live in no state income tax Florida btw). You're statement is completely wrong and ignorant.
Then by all means let’s stop all of it. No federal aid to states and no deduction of state income tax. Then no one has to worry about which state is getting screwed

Then by all means let’s stop all of it. No federal aid to states and no deduction of state income tax. Then no one has to worry about which state is getting screwed

You mean people should take care of themselves? Blasphemy!!!

Last edited:
You mean people should take care of themselves? Blasphemy!!!

You are taking care of yourself by supporting a centralized authority that makes rules and enforces rules. Outside of nomadic societies made up of a very small number of people (up to about a dozen or so), you are much less likely to survive and be able to take care of yourself without a state authority. I know you're saying "lets just pay state taxes and not have federal taxes" rather than "lets not have any government at all," but by the same logic we could say "lets just pay county taxes and not have state taxes" and eventually "lets just not pay taxes." Or perhaps I don't understand your disdain for federal taxes but your support for state taxes - why is it that state taxes are acceptable but federal taxes are not?

You are taking care of yourself by supporting a centralized authority that makes rules and enforces rules. Outside of nomadic societies made up of a very small number of people (up to about a dozen or so), you are much less likely to survive and be able to take care of yourself without a state authority. I know you're saying "lets just pay state taxes and not have federal taxes" rather than "lets not have any government at all," but by the same logic we could say "lets just pay county taxes and not have state taxes" and eventually "lets just not pay taxes." Or perhaps I don't understand your disdain for federal taxes but your support for state taxes - why is it that state taxes are acceptable but federal taxes are not?
Because federal functions (army/diplomacy/scotus/etc) require federal funds but federal funds should not be used on state specific functions like a school in idaho or a state trooper in california

Because federal functions (army/diplomacy/scotus/etc) require federal funds but federal funds should not be used on state specific functions like a school in idaho or a state trooper in california

I agree with you that federal funds should be used on functions that benefit the entire union and not just a specific local community. We probably disagree about defining what functions eventually trickle up to benefit the entire union. It could make sense for federal funds to go towards the public school system in Idaho so it is better able to meet certain standards and increase the pool of quality recruits for the military.

I agree with you that federal funds should be used on functions that benefit the entire union and not just a specific local community. We probably disagree about defining what functions eventually trickle up to benefit the entire union. It could make sense for federal funds to go towards the public school system in Idaho so it is better able to meet certain standards and increase the pool of quality recruits for the military.
Haha, we would definitely disagree on the line......but the generic principle we agree so we found something;)

This phrase describes about 30% of the pharmacist workforce.
Maybe 40%.

Higher. Nobody does this job except to get paid. If you claim otherwise, you are lying. If pin jockey at the bowling alley paid the same, I'd have done that. There isn't a pharmacist in the United States that would be a pharmacist if it only paid $30,000 a year. That doesn't mean you don't take your job seriously or aren't interested in it in general. It's just that you wouldn't be doing it and you know it.

Reactions: 2 users