Reading sleep studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chonal Atresia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone that may know the answer -

I am a board-certified army otolaryngologist planning on taking the '09 sleep medicine exam this November. My question is this - If I am fortunate enough to pass the exam and become board-certified, is there any avenue available to "contract" yourself out to sleep center(s)tointerpret their studies? I am interested in making some extra $ while I'm paying back my obligation and was curious if any sleep docs currently perform this service. Thanks for any advice and guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the lab. Some labs may let you read studies on the patients you send in. I have seen arrangements where the reader bills for the professional component and I have seen arrangements where the labs pays a reading fee but they bill the global charge.

I don't think an independent lab will let you read just because you ask nicely.

If it is a hospital based lab, you may have more leverage to try to get on the reading panel, particularly if refer a bunch of patients or do a lot of surgery at that institution.