Reading on Off-Service Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Campanella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be on an off-service rotation this month. It will be a pretty heavy rotation (ICU), and I know that I will have to read a lot to catch up with patient management. However, I don't want to get behind in what I am learning in Ob/Gyn. How do you guys balance reading during your off-service months?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to do the bulk of your reading on ICU topics. You won't be falling behind in ob/gyn, you'll be supplementing and rounding out your knowledge. If your program didn't think ICU stuff was useful for you to know as an OB you wouldn't be doing the rotation. Vent settings, acid/base physiology, shock (esp. hemorrhagic and septic), pressors, etc. may all seem less relevant to your practice, but trust me, there will be a time when you are glad you have experienced and read about it.

For OB-specific reading, aim to get through a practice bulletin per week or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely agree with 22031, read up on ICU topics it will come in handy later, especially if your program has a Gyn Onc service. Even if your program doesn't it will still help you pass Step 3.

Reactions: 1 user