Reading list for Neurology enthusiast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted981412

Hi, I'm applying to medical school, so my apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. I studied Neuroscience, and fell in love with it. Although I hear Neurology is not so hotly desired,I would love to learn more about the field that I think I could see myself in. Did you like any books (fiction/non-fiction) that you'd like to share with a prospie?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm applying to medical school, so my apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. I studied Neuroscience, and fell in love with it. Although I hear Neurology is not so hotly desired,I would love to learn more about the field that I think I could see myself in. Did you like any books (fiction/non-fiction) that you'd like to share with a prospie?

Phantoms in the Brain by VS ramachandran is a good book that I liked early in Med school that got me interested in neuroscience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Im also a premed but
Madness and memory by Stanley Prusiner re/prion diseases. Super fascinating

Anything by Oliver Sacks. Any science fiction/fantasy. Keep reading what you love.

Reactions: 1 user
So many great books about neurology! I majored in comparative literature; am now a neurologist and teach literature + medicine to premeds and med students, so this question is right up my alley.

Some of my favorites:
- Brain on Fire by Susannah Calahan
- anything by Oliver Sacks
- anything by Lisa Genova (a neuroscientist who writes novels about neurological illnesses; I particularly like Inside the O'Briens, about a family with Huntington disease)
- stealth neurology in 19th century novels: best description of Parkinson disease I've ever seen is in Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. Ditto locked-in syndrome with Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo

Happy reading!