Read This thread was locked, why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
linking to the threat in a sticky is probably fine. We should find some old pamphlets from the civil war too. Join the Army as a surgeon and saw off a leg - the faster the better! Or be an Army anesthesiologist - learn a secondary use for a table leg and a leather belt!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
He also forbade people from using a knife to heal, so WTF did he know?

Sad that I didn't "know" about this until you mentioned it and I looked it up. At least the full translation is "I will not use the knife, even upon those suffering from stones, but I will leave this to those who are trained in this craft."

Maybe the Hippocratic Oath should be renamed the GMO oath.

Sad that I didn't "know" about this until you mentioned it and I looked it up. At least the full translation is "I will not use the knife, even upon those suffering from stones, but I will leave this to those who are trained in this craft."

Maybe the Hippocratic Oath should be renamed the GMO oath.
It don't apply to me, that's all I'm sayin'

Actually, no idea why its showing as closed. There isn't a mod action listed on it. That's strange, because it should automatically log when a mod or admin takes an action. Perhaps the OP closed it?

I'll reopen until we can get some clarity on what's up with it.
The Army Medicine Facebook group tribe got very in a huff about that thread and I suspect OP got spooked.

There was a lot of "he's a coward, say it to my face" vibe. Unless the OP was a terminal O6 or something, I can understand why they may have thought better to close it.

If one gets stuck at a malignant MTF, venting on social media makes you feel a little better. One has to remain anonymous to avoid real peril, if still subject to the ucmj. They can always charge you with art 133 or 134.

Well...yes it can be hard. There are COs who would not take favorably to a a thoughtful, honest post and could respond poorly. I worked with one who eventually made the news (CAPT Holly Graf) but not before she’d destroyed dozens of fine American’s careers.
I worked for her (kinda) in between her CO rides. Everyone knew and no action was taken until they’d given her another ship. Holly Graf - Wikipedia
Holy **** she has a Wikipedia page...

Remember, if you are attached to an operational command, you have no right to refuse mast.

Toxic leaders get promoted because “results”
‘I’m House’ — inside the case of the commander in flip-flops who got canned

It’s not just line officers. The MC has its share of toxicity too.
Medical Treatment Facility Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty aboard Mercy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2008-10-01-0809300417-story,amp.html
We even had a SG who faked his cv. Neither he not the “university” could find his PhD thesis when asked. He claimed a masters that he didn’t finish and a JD from a diploma mill. You’d trust that guy?

But, in general, MC bad behavior doesn’t make the news because we have far fewer command billets. I witnessed a fair bit of lower level retaliation. For example, an orthopod who filed an IG complaint, was immediately PCS’d overseas, filed another IG complaint for retaliation, tried to separate and was held over beyond his obligation until he withdrew the allegations.

My take is to stay anonymous as much as possible but only post what you believe to be true.

Last edited:
Well...yes it can be hard. There are COs who would not take favorably to a a thoughtful, honest post and could respond poorly. I worked with one who eventually made the news (CAPT Holly Graf) but not before she’d destroyed dozens of fine American’s careers.
I worked for her (kinda) in between her CO rides. Everyone knew and no action was taken until they’d given her another ship. Holly Graf - Wikipedia
Holy **** she has a Wikipedia page...

Remember, if you are attached to an operational command, you have no right to refuse mast.

Toxic leaders get promoted because “results”
‘I’m House’ — inside the case of the commander in flip-flops who got canned

It’s not just line officers. The MC has its share of toxicity too.
Medical Treatment Facility Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty aboard Mercy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2008-10-01-0809300417-story,amp.html
We even had a SG who faked his cv. Neither he not the “university” could find his PhD thesis when asked. He claimed a masters that he didn’t finish and a JD from a diploma mill. You’d trust that guy?

But, in general, MC bad behavior doesn’t make the news because we have far fewer command billets. I witnessed a fair bit of lower level retaliation. For example, an orthopod who filed an IG complaint, was immediately PCS’d overseas, filed another IG complaint for retaliation, tried to separate and was held over beyond his obligation until he withdrew the allegations.

My take is to stay anonymous as much as possible but only post what you believe to be true.

Examples of poor leadership does not justify insubordination. If there are unjust leaders treating their subordinates with malignancy then there are processes in place for proper reporting, routing and review. If there are instructions/laws/policies in place that have been reviewed by our elected administrative or appointed officials with which we do not agree, there are avenues to advocate for change. Venting on a public forum is not allowed. You give up that freedom of speech when you sign on the dotted line.

I do not know the details of this IG complaint. I'd be interested to know the back story.

Yup. That’s why folks who decide to share need to stay anonymous. They lack faith in those processes and have decided to be a direct to consumer whistleblower. It’s the free press in action. If that’s not what you want, don’t participate on an anonymous message board.

I don’t actually know what the original IG complaint was about. All I know is that it was followed by unexpected overseas orders for supposedly unrelated reasons and a subsequent second complaint for retaliation. The second complaint was handled so slowly that it delayed his separation. At some point his credentials were jeopardized as well. That’s all the detail I remember (and ever knew I think)

Last edited: