Reaching out for advice as a nursing student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rk01

Reaction score
First post here and while looking around I have seen posts similiar, but I am wanting to reach out for advice anyways. I am a student nurse in an associate nursing program. My grades are on the low side as I did not put much effort in my prerequisites and have aimed to "just pass" up untill now where I have started to think about trying my hand at med school. Before clinicals and working as a tech and a few shadow hours I had limited experience in the health care field and what Physicians do but now with insight on what they do I have fallen in love. I am planned to graduate in May of this year with a ADN but the area I am seeking advice is which path to take. From my understanding I could either transfer to a premed program and complete the remaining classes I need for the MCAT or I could complete a online RN-BSN (would take roughly a year) and then apply to a post bac, special masters or a DIY. Which path would be the best option?

My stats: cGPA 3.05, sGPA 2.98 (without nursing classes as I don't believe they are counted as science cources)

I am 100% alright with applying to DO programs as well

my end goal would be either emergency med but I do love the world of microbio and have thought about infectious disease as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an expert by any means, but to my understanding almost all schools want you to have completed a traditional 4-year bachelor's before applying to medical school. I'm not sure how they would view doing a bridge RN-BSN program. If you are majoring in nursing at a larger institution and could transfer to another major, I think that may work to your benefit as you will be taking non-professional school science classes that should give you a chance to boost your sGPA and show your academic abilities in a rigorous environment. I would also reach out to schools of interest and see if they can offer any insights (as well as wait for some more knowledgeable replies in the thread :) )

Not an expert by any means, but to my understanding almost all schools want you to have completed a traditional 4-year bachelor's before applying to medical school. I'm not sure how they would view doing a bridge RN-BSN program. If you are majoring in nursing at a larger institution and could transfer to another major, I think that may work to your benefit as you will be taking non-professional school science classes that should give you a chance to boost your sGPA and show your academic abilities in a rigorous environment. I would also reach out to schools of interest and see if they can offer any insights (as well as wait for some more knowledgeable replies in the thread :) )
Thank you for your input! I am currently at a small community college but they do have very strong ties with some of the universities in my area. I should probably reach out to them soon as they all have pre health/pre medical programs as well thank you for suggesting that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input! I am currently at a small community college but they do have very strong ties with some of the universities in my area. I should probably reach out to them soon as they all have pre health/pre medical programs as well thank you for suggesting that!
Talk to your CC counselors if they know anything about advising students for medicine vs. nursing. You probably could check the transfer student offices at the 4-year programs you are looking for to see if they can also help as well. The experts you get when you transfer (CC and university) are vital to setting yourself up for success. If you really don't want to go down the nursing route, you should not consider the RN-to-BSN tracks. Note you may have to take science-rigorous (not the courses recommended for nursing students but those for biology majors) premed prerequisites once you reach the university (which is fine).

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t continue with nursing education unless you plan to work as a nurse. If your goal is to be a physician, transfer to a 4-year school and take your prerequisites. You will also need volunteer hours and clinical exposure, so it is likely that you will do at least one gap year. Your associate degree in nursing should help you to get a clinical job during your gap year.

Reactions: 3 users
I will reach out to my advisors soon to check with them. If they do not I will reach out to the programs I am looking at as well. I would like to work as a nurse for a little bit (during years in premed) but would like to transition to a physician as I like what they do more but still do enjoy nursing and getting my RN will also help me financially due to having a weaker financial background while in school but my ADN will be able to do that. I currently have around 400 RN clinical hours through school and around 1200 hours working as a CNA/student nurse tech. Volunteer hours are all non clinical and roughly have 200ish, I do not have a exact number for that but could calculate it. Most of it is helping with special needs/foster kids camps in summers, helping with clothes and shower drives for the homeless, and many hours volunteering with my Church.

I will reach out to my advisors soon to check with them. If they do not I will reach out to the programs I am looking at as well. I would like to work as a nurse for a little bit (during years in premed) but would like to transition to a physician as I like what they do more but still do enjoy nursing and getting my RN will also help me financially due to having a weaker financial background while in school but my ADN will be able to do that. I currently have around 400 RN clinical hours through school and around 1200 hours working as a CNA/student nurse tech. Volunteer hours are all non clinical and roughly have 200ish, I do not have a exact number for that but could calculate it. Most of it is helping with special needs/foster kids camps in summers, helping with clothes and shower drives for the homeless, and many hours volunteering with my Church.
Edit: to answer your original question, don't do a BSN, just transfer and do the premed classes. But you need to be sure you want to be a doctor first, and there's no shame in working with your associate's for a bit to find that out.

It sounds like you have the right heart for this.

Like others have said, if you want to be a doctor, you should focus on that. I also had to work my way through college, so I get where you're coming from, but on top of working a job, you're going to be expected to make straight As in your (HARD) prereqs, shadow, volunteer, do research, have some sort of clinical experience (nursing would count), and be in leadership of some kind. I worked just as many hours as a premed as I do now as a med student. It's crazy to do all that stuff and still get good grades.

Also, search the forums for "Goro's guide to reinvention." If you already have a degree, and your GPA is a 3.0, that thread has some advice that may help you.

Edit: to answer your original question, don't do a BSN, just transfer and do the premed classes. But you need to be sure you want to be a doctor first, and there's no shame in working with your associate's for a bit to find that out.

It sounds like you have the right heart for this.

Like others have said, if you want to be a doctor, you should focus on that. I also had to work my way through college, so I get where you're coming from, but on top of working a job, you're going to be expected to make straight As in your (HARD) prereqs, shadow, volunteer, do research, have some sort of clinical experience (nursing would count), and be in leadership of some kind. I worked just as many hours as a premed as I do now as a med student. It's crazy to do all that stuff and still get good grades.

Also, search the forums for "Goro's guide to reinvention." If you already have a degree, and your GPA is a 3.0, that thread has some advice that may help you.
Thank you for your input! I will be sure to check out goros guide, I have heard of it but haven't had the chance to actually look at it. One other question I do have is how would I gain research experience and what would count as research?

Research isn’t essential. Grades, MCAT, and your volunteer work are much more important.

Reactions: 4 users