Re-taking the MCAT while applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

man221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to ask if how things work if i decide to retake the MCAT while applying (I got a 506 the first time).
If I send in my primary applications on June 1st with the existing score I have and indicate that I don't plan on retaking the exam but eventually do register for it, would they be able to see that I registered for it?
Also, can I send in all the primary applications of my intended colleges initially and complete the secondaries of the colleges I'm sure of and then only complete other secondaries once i receive my newer score?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I just wanted to ask if how things work if i decide to retake the MCAT while applying (I got a 506 the first time). If I send in my primary applications on June 1st with the existing score I have and indicate that I don't plan on retaking the exam but eventually do register for it, would they be able to see that I registered for it?

Yes, but schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score before they evaluate your app.

Also, can I send in all the primary applications of my intended colleges initially and complete the secondaries of the colleges I'm sure of and then only complete other secondaries once i receive my newer score? Thanks!

Sure, you can do whatever you want. BUT, why apply to several schools without knowing if you're competitive? Why waste the application fee, if you aren't sure? Sounds like you're rushing the process. Get your score back and then apply, or submit to ONE school until you get your score.

I'm a resident of D.C. and there are literally only like 3 schools in my state. I think I should just apply then with what I have and study in the meantime. If I see an improvement in my score I would take the exam again and then maybe apply late for other schools. What do you guys think?