Re-taking MCAT in July good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayquaza25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I could really use some advice as to how to handle my situation best.

I took the MCAT in january received my score of 503 my GPA is a 3.78 I am a student-athlete with a good amount of extra-curriculars on my application. My question is should I apply to MD programs with my current GPA or continue with my retake scheduled for July 24th (score release is August 23rd). In a non-cocky way, I know 100% sure that I can score much better on the MCAT on my retake, my worry is that I would be very late with my application submission. My plan is to have all my application in ready-to-submit form before my MCAT and then send the app in once the scores are received and I have a good idea of the schools I have a good chance to getting into. I would send one application in without the MCAT to get my application verified so it would speed up the process a little. Any sort of advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re 100% sure your retake will be higher than I assume you’ve been studying, so if course you should retake. A July MCAT isn’t “very late”. You could prewrite several secondaries while you await your score and plan to have them all in early Sept.

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re 100% sure your retake will be higher than I assume you’ve been studying, so if course you should retake. A July MCAT isn’t “very late”. You could prewrite several secondaries while you await your score and plan to have them all in early Sept.
I really appreciate that! Yes, I have been studying and am taking some supplemental courses currently that have bettered my skills in areas. I would rather give it my best effort late

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I could really use some advice as to how to handle my situation best.

I took the MCAT in january received my score of 503 my GPA is a 3.78 I am a student-athlete with a good amount of extra-curriculars on my application. My question is should I apply to MD programs with my current GPA or continue with my retake scheduled for July 24th (score release is August 23rd). In a non-cocky way, I know 100% sure that I can score much better on the MCAT on my retake, my worry is that I would be very late with my application submission. My plan is to have all my application in ready-to-submit form before my MCAT and then send the app in once the scores are received and I have a good idea of the schools I have a good chance to getting into. I would send one application in without the MCAT to get my application verified so it would speed up the process a little. Any sort of advice is greatly appreciated.

Unless you are an URM definitely retake MCAT if you even want a shot at MDs. July isn't that late, I know plenty of people who applied later than July with strong stats that recieved plenty of interviews. Or you can apply as is to DO schools and you'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are an URM definitely retake MCAT if you even want a shot at MDs. July isn't that late, I know plenty of people who applied later than July with strong stats that recieved plenty of interviews. Or you can apply as is to DO schools and you'll get in somewhere.
You don't remember any of those people's MCAT scores do you, or at least ballpark of the score