This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myMDdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently I found out that some medical schools require pre-requisite courses to be taken within five years and other schools are open to older courses but like to see recent coursework.

I graduated in 2013 and have been working as a clinical research coordinator for the past two years. My oldest course will be 8 years from the time of application in 2017 and my "youngest" pre-requisite course will be 4 years old.

I plan on taking 4 upper level classes in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters while working part-time but I was wondering whether it would simply be better to repeat those lower level courses while going to school full-time.

I'm really not sure what to do. What has been your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious as well. I started my degree in 2009 and then graduated in 2015 due to family concerns. But I figured it will be fine to apply and hopefully be in medical school for the Fall 2018 semester. Now I feel I might be in the same situation which is concerning. Maybe do a post-bac, which seems tedious since I just graduated last year. Retaking pre-reqs is even more terrifying, so much work. But I figured, if I score high on the MCAT it would be possible without going through all that hassle.

Hi everyone!

Recently I found out that some medical schools require pre-requisite courses to be taken within five years and other schools are open to older courses but like to see recent coursework.

I graduated in 2013 and have been working as a clinical research coordinator for the past two years. My oldest course will be 8 years from the time of application in 2017 and my "youngest" pre-requisite course will be 4 years old.

I plan on taking 4 upper level classes in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters while working part-time but I was wondering whether it would simply be better to repeat those lower level courses while going to school full-time.

I'm really not sure what to do. What has been your experience?

Some schools specifically say required courses must be newer than 5 or 7 years. MD programs seem more sensitive than DO, so check on the schools you want to apply.