Re-take classes or take new, upper-level courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaDannon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my GPA is a little low for some of the programs I want to get into. It is about 3.4, which isn't bad. I got B's in the chemistry sequence and physics. If I wanted to boost my gpa, should I go back and retake these and get A's? Or does it look stupid to re-take a class that I got a B in?

Also, could I take some upper level courses instead ? It seems sort of stupid to go back and crush some general level classes.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Contact a handful of your target schools and see what they say. Grade replacement is handled differently everywhere.

If you're trying to boost your prereq GPA, then I think it's worth retaking classes. However, if you're trying to boost your overall GPA, then I think it looks better to take different courses, and especially upper division if you have that option, because you'll be learning something new and expanding your knowledge. I agree with HouseDPT that it would be great to contact your programs and see how they consider retakes which option they would value more.

In my opinion I think it's best to retake classes if your Pre-req GPA is in question bc it is much easier to change that. However it's not so easy to change you cGPA, I just had 9 credits of A's of summer semester and it only boosted my GPA0.03
Also I don't think most programs care too much about upper level unrelated courses, programs can only spend so much time evaluating one persons App