RE: CC fellowship opening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am american board certified internist and geriatrician and interested to do CC fellowship. Is there any one know any open slot for 2009? also should I need to do 2 year fellowship or 1 year (b/o one year in geriatric medicine fellowship)
Regards

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to apply through the ERAS match and it is a two year fellowship no matter what your background is. You can go onto FREIDA online to search for programs in either critical care or pulmonary/critical care. There are about twice to three times as many combined programs as just critical care alone and are an additional year (total 3 years). Sometimes critical care programs will do pre-match to their own residents but this varies and isn't always the case. Good luck.

P.S. You may be late for the 2010 match because applications were downloaded December 1, 2008.

If you are already BC in an IM subspecialty like ID, Nephro, Cards... you can to 1 year of CC fellowship to get the "added qualification".. thats how its done as combined with Pulmonary Disease.

I dont know if geriatrics qualifies for this (Pathway A)

Heres the link
http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/imss/ccm.aspx

Hi,
I am american board certified internist and geriatrician and interested to do CC fellowship. Is there any one know any open slot for 2009? also should I need to do 2 year fellowship or 1 year (b/o one year in geriatric medicine fellowship)
Regards

Not all programs will post an opening in their program. If so, I think Find-A-Resident is a website that posts openings. You could do it the old-fashioned way, print out the list from Freida, and start calling each program. It is time consuming, but at least you would find out directly from the program if ther eis an opening or not.

Regarding 1 or 2 year fellowship, not all programs state on their website if they offer the 1 year option. Another reason to call or email.

Finally, many programs in CCM do not particpate in the Match. I thought it made the application process much easier, and there was no waiting in involved.

Good luck!