Re-applying while on waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MerryMaryMerry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wait-listed at a few schools. I'm making serious plans to re-apply regardless. How does this work?
Would I have to withdraw my app from the specific schools before I re-apply?

Or should I remain on the wait-list at those schools to maximize chances of acceptance?
Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

When I reapplied I still was in couple of waitlist, and there was no problem at all. Actually, I recommend you to only reapply to those schools where you have been waitlisted and completely change the rest of the list (they already gave you a rejection why give them more money?). Unless your application is tremendously improved, of course.
FYI, out of the 4 schools that waitlisted me the first cycle, 2 gave me an interview in the second cycle.

Let me know if you more questions about reapplying, although I hope you get accepted out of some of those waitlists ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, you can and should re-apply while still remaining on the wait list. In fact, schools will often specifically tell you to do so (saying something along the lines of "you might get in but if we're your only option right now then go ahead and get everything needed for reapplication prepared").

Members don't see this ad :)
You can remain on the waitlist and prepare to reapply. Since you're waiting to hear back, you can use this time to assess your application and see if any areas need strengthening, and try to strengthen them if possible. Then if you're still on the waitlist come early June, go ahead and submit your AMCAS. That way if you don't get in, then you'll be an early applicant for the next cycle. Proceed with the application cycle until you get off the waitlist or continue onward if you aren't accepted by August.

Keep in mind that you should make sure you've addressed any weaknesses you may have on your application, and even consider waiting until next cycle if necessary to strengthen your app.