Re-Applying to Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisGurleysOnFire

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I can't seem to find a good answer on this, but what is the thought on how re-applicants are viewed for fellowship (ie failed to match then reapply the following year)? I know it will depend on what they make of the time they spent until applying again, but are they inherently at a disadvantage? Appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I can't seem to find a good answer on this, but what is the thought on how re-applicants are viewed for fellowship (ie failed to match then reapply the following year)? I know it will depend on what they make of the time they spent until applying again, but are they inherently at a disadvantage?

I would think certainly not at a disadvantage. We all know folk who've applied multiple times for things and gotten them on their 2nd or 3rd attempts. Sure, they can look at what you've done in the interim time, why not? If it's good stuff, flex it. And did you only apply to top tier programs? Remember: if at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

It depends what you mean by "disadvantage".

Fellowship programs won't care that you graduated last year. Lots of people decide to take a gap year or two for all sorts of reasons -- their partner needs to finish their school / residency / job and can't move, they want to pay off some loans, they want to do a research or a chief year, or they want to do some locums work and travel. Or, as in your case, they applied and didn't get a spot. Most fellowships won't care at all.

But, just like the biggest risk factor for having an MI is prior having an MI, a big risk factor for not matching is not matching. If you didn't match in this last season, you need to re-evaluate your options. Try to fix whatever hole there was in your app, pick different programs, and try again. But I expect you'd find that the overall match rate of those who re-apply is lower than first time applicants -- simply because the re-applicants are probably less competitive overall (hence why they are re-applying).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think certainly not at a disadvantage. We all know folk who've applied multiple times for things and gotten them on their 2nd or 3rd attempts. Sure, they can look at what you've done in the interim time, why not? If it's good stuff, flex it. And did you only apply to top tier programs? Remember: if at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Thank you! That's good to know. I wonder if there is an ERAS function to filter applicants who have previously participated in the Match?

I applied pretty broadly, but perhaps could be even more broad next year

It depends what you mean by "disadvantage".

Fellowship programs won't care that you graduated last year. Lots of people decide to take a gap year or two for all sorts of reasons -- their partner needs to finish their school / residency / job and can't move, they want to pay off some loans, they want to do a research or a chief year, or they want to do some locums work and travel. Or, as in your case, they applied and didn't get a spot. Most fellowships won't care at all.

But, just like the biggest risk factor for having an MI is prior having an MI, a big risk factor for not matching is not matching. If you didn't match in this last season, you need to re-evaluate your options. Try to fix whatever hole there was in your app, pick different programs, and try again. But I expect you'd find that the overall match rate of those who re-apply is lower than first time applicants -- simply because the re-applicants are probably less competitive overall (hence why they are re-applying).

Very helpful to think about! Encouraging to know that I can start off with a "clean slate" when re-applying next year and work on fixing any issues with my application.

You are right-- those who have to re-apply have to do so for a reason which likely skews why re-applicants might have a lower match rate.