Re-applying. How much should I change my PS and Primary App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADNEMO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So quick question for everybody. I am getting ready to re-apply in the next cycle after an abysmal showing in the last application cycle. I have improved my stats overall but my concern is the primary application and PS. I am happy with all my statements regarding my extracurricular activities on my primary application and my personal statement but I keep having people tell me that if you re-apply you have to change those parts of your applications. I have called several schools I applied to and they are pretty indifferent to my questions about this. I was wondering if any re-applicants out there who have had success could weigh in on this or any current re-apps.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told specifically by the Dean of Admissions of the one school I applied to and interviewed at to refresh it. She said that some members of the adcom could care less but that for some its a HUGE red flag when comparing previous apps with your current one. She said its okay to keep some of it but definitely try to show growth, better insight, etc. in refreshing it. Overall I received a lot of positive feedback on my PS from blunt, reliable, quality sources so re-working it isn't going to be fun, but ultimately its probably for the best.

Last edited:
I was told specifically by the Dean of Admissions of the one school I applied to and interviewed at to refresh it. She said that some members of the adcom could care less but that for some its a HUGE red flag when comparing previous apps with your current one. She said its okay to keep some of it but definitely try to show growth, better insight, etc. in refreshing it. Overall I received a lot of positive feedback on my PS from blunt, reliable, quality sources so re-working it isn't going to be fun, but ultimately its probably for the best.

Ya that is sort of the same thing I have been hearing. I spent so much time working on my app that I cant possibly think of any changes I want to make. I guess the whole growth thing makes sense. Thanks for the advise!

I would rewrite the PS. I did, and it was probably the highlight of my application. If you don't know where to start, just begin with the old one, get opinions from a writing center or other trustworthy sources on how to correct it, and gradually change it by bits and pieces (this was my strategy).

However, changing the activities section doesn't make sense unless you have either done more with your old ECs, or added new ones.