Re-Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

Hi, does anyone have any advice for re-applicant? any change or improvement that can help us to increase the chance of getting accepted besides increasing the mcat score?

thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

I keep on hearing that you should NOT recycle your AMCAS statement.

Why not use your origional personal statement, how much could that change by?

Members don't see this ad :)
Never re-use your personal statement! If a medical school is going to consider you a second time for admission, you should have improved your application. The personal statement is a great place to discuss what you have done to improve. If a med school sees the same app two years in a row, why should they admit you the second time around?

Good call, Tigger.

------------------
Kimberly R.
Class of 2004, I hope!
"Every individual matters.
Every individual has a role to play.
Every individual makes a difference."
-Jane Goodall

Should you mention you're re-applying to medical school on your personal statement? plus the reason that why you're re-applying?

thanks

Don't mention that you're a reapplicant in the AMCAS statement. Your goal w/ this essay is to make it as compelling as possible and hinting at what characterisitcs make you such a great candidate. You will have plenty of chances to expand on reapplication in the secondary essays, if you wish. As for advice, I agree w/ other posters. Do not recycle your statement. Hopefully, since your last application, you've done something interesting that you can use to explain your story. My other piece of advice, other than increasing your stats, is to pursue activities in the medical and nonmedical areas that you enjoy and can talk about with enthusiasm. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that during your year off, you have to do research, work in a lab, and volunteer at a hospital, if that's not what you want to do. Set yourself apart as much as possible by doing something unusual and interesting to you.
Hope this helps.

thanks to you all. the info were very valuable. i'm considering shadowing a doctor in a private family practice. how do i approach him/her?
thanks