This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diverdude93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am planning on applying during the upcoming 2019-2020 cycle. I applied during the 2017-2018 cycle and received 2 interviews which turned into waitlists and then rejections. Here is my initial application stats:

Undergrad - Biology Major, Hispanic Studies Minor

cGPA - 3.52
sGPA - 3.3
both have strong upward trend

MCAT - taken twice

July 2016 - 505 (127, 126, 125, 127)
May 2017 - 512 (127, 128, 127, 130)

Extracurriculars - (with hours)

Men's Swim and Dive team - 4 years in college, Co-captain junior/senior year, voted Co-MVP (1000 hours)
Student Athlete Advisory Committee - 3 years in college, Vice-President senior year (160 hours)
Global Medical Brigades - 3 years, Vice-President senior year (775 hours)
General Biology Lab Teaching Assistant - 3 years, boss wrote good LOR (420 hours)
Hospital Volunteer - general, during summers during college (270 hours)
Volunteer Clinical Translator at free clinic in college town (30 hours)
Physician Shadowing - with orthopedic anesthesiologist (10 hours) and rural ER doctor (70 hours)
Lifeguarding - during summers in college (1100 hours)

During the 2017-2018 cycle, I was in an SMP as well. After the cycle, I decided to take a year off to bolster my application. I am volunteering, did a research internship, and am currently scribing. Here are the ADDITIONS to the above for my 2019-2020 application:

Volunteering - soup kitchen (30 hours) AND one-on-one ESL tutoring with an American immigrant (will have 150 hours when I apply).
Research internship - worked in my SMP director's lab studying glioblastoma (800 hours)
Scribing - in a primary care office for adults on Medicare in an underserved community (will have 1300 hours when I apply)
SMP - 3.83 GPA

I am wondering what my chances are for the coming cycle given these improvements? I plan on applying broadly to allopathic programs, part of my mistake last time was only applying to about 10 allopathic schools (yes I am now aware how foolish that was). If you have suggestions on where to apply as well I am happy to hear them!

I am currently just scribing and volunteering with my ESL position, but I am wondering as well if there is anything I should do additionally between now and June? Besides working hard on writing my application of course. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, your SMP GPA is more impressive if it is one of the premier ones such as Georgetown where they take classes alongside the medical students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, your SMP GPA is more impressive if it is one of the premier ones such as Georgetown where they take classes alongside the medical students.

Current state of residence is MO but considering switching to IL where I reside currently. SMP was Loyola MSMP

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your state public schools
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
St.Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St.Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also add the new TCU school as well. They're a texas school participating in AMCAS, no preference for TX residents as of now

If you like the DO route, I would do CCOM in IL as well. I got accepted there with about the same stats, slightly higher GPA slightly lower MCAT, but the biggest thing is apply as soon as the cycle opens. If you have already submitted your application for 2019-2020 cycle you are on the right track, if not you need to get on it.

Also if you get waitlisted again (with your stats I'm sure you'll get accepted but just in case) make every possible effort to update your application from that point on. It really does help.

Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St.Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

so far this cycle: interviewed at 4, accepted to 2, declined 1 II from this list - thank you so much for your suggestions! didn't ultimately apply DO but I think it was good advice

Also add the new TCU school as well. They're a texas school participating in AMCAS, no preference for TX residents as of now
applied to this school based on your advice, am now post-II WL - but no matter what happens I wanna say thanks for suggesting I include this! It really is a very unique and cool school