Re App looking for input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wrosenkr

Reaction score
Greetings! I am hoping to get a few ounces of feedback on some parts of my re-app.

First time around: Nearing completion of a BA in philosophy and BS in chemistry.
cGPA < 3.2 and sGPA < 2.9 with very haphazard grade disattribution.
MCAT 504: 125/125/128/126
EC’s: RA, shadowing, 8 months of chemistry research between two projects but no publications on either.

Re-app: BA/BS completed, presently one year finished in a 2 year masters program in biochemistry and molecular biology.
grad-GPA: 3.75: coursework included General biochemistry, gene expression, and protein structure and function. Upcoming Fall 2018 coursework including Histology lecture and lab, and basic immunology (I suspect schools will want to see another semester so these classes may be relevant)
MCAT 517: 130/129/130/128
New EC: ED volunteer >100 hours presently and rising.
New set of LORs including grad faculty.

My question is this: How heavily might my undergrad gpa be considered in light of the new numbers? All available resources suggest that if my current numbers had extended over the course of an undergrad tenure, then I would have very little issue getting an interview at a reasonable number of schools. Am I a total fool for trying after one year in grad school rather than waiting to get all four semesters in the books?

To clarify, I understand the many variables at play in admissions, including elements of my app that I haven’t included here. I’m not looking for someone to tell me whether I’ll get in anywhere or not. Just looking for comments on interpretations of grad academic record versus undergrad.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Your undergrad GPA is still heavily considered despite your impressive performance in your Grad work. However, you are proving that you can handle rigorous course work and this will impress med schools. Also, I think you would be better waiting since med schools will be more impressed with a full sample size rather than 50% of it being completed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We don't much care about grad school grades (unless they are bad!), excluding SMP's.

Any chance I can ask why? I don’t doubt that these decisions are made by very intelligent individuals, I would just like to understand. Aren’t better grades in strictly more rigorous versions of undergrad science courses explicit demonstrations of competance? If someone scored a B in biochemistry 1&2 in undergrad and then an A in graduate biochem 1&2 more recently (for example), why are they looked at as B students?

Last edited:
Any chance I can ask why? I don’t doubt that these decisions are made by very intelligent individuals, I would just like to understand. Aren’t better grades in strictly more rigorous versions of undergrad science courses explicit demonstrations of competance? If someone scored a B in biochemistry 1&2 in undergrad and then an A in graduate biochem 1&2 more recently (for example), why are they looked at as B students?
Many of us have graduate degrees and have taught in graduate programs.
It is the general perception that everyone gets an A.
Graduate grades are not averaged into undergraduate because they are not comparable (and not everyone has them).
DO schools see things differently.

On the bright side, this means that there is no reason to delay your application to assure that the second year's grades appear in the primary (unless you need them for a DO application).

Many of us have graduate degrees and have taught in graduate programs.
It is the general perception that everyone gets an A.
Graduate grades are not averaged into undergraduate because they are not comparable (and not everyone has them).
DO schools see things differently.

On the bright side, this means that there is no reason to delay your application to assure that the second year's grades appear in the primary (unless you need them for a DO application).

So if I wanted to improve my gpa and/or demonstrate that I can handle medical school coursework, was I better off repeating undergraduate science coursework, rather than pursuing graduate coursework?

So if I wanted to improve my gpa and/or demonstrate that I can handle medical school coursework, was I better off repeating undergraduate science coursework, rather than pursuing graduate coursework?

You would have been better off doing an SMP since many of these are ACTUAL Med school courses

Reactions: 1 users
A sustained period of academic excellence in challenging undergrad coursework is recommended. Repeating coursework is only a good idea for cl;asses with a C- or lower where mastery of the content may be an issue.
An SMP is an alternative that can work.

That was very helpful! And quite reassuring, actually. My masters program is at a medical school and teaches at a level that they expect for up&coming medical students. Whether that is apparent on paper to any adcom may be a different story... but hopefully the LOR’s discussed that and my 517 shows unquestionable improvement.

You have a GREAT upward trend and the fact that your program is attached to a medical school is a big selling point, I'd mention it in my personal statement and spin it harder than a used car salesman in an interview. Apply broadly, I'm sure there's some MD program that would at least give an interview.