Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on 4 waitlists and my undergrad advisor has suggested that I get ready to reapply this year, but I wanted to get some additional opinions.

I graduated in June 2020. My cGPA was 3.88, sGPA 3.85. My MCAT was 516, however my sciences were 126 C/P and 127 BB, while I got 132 P/S and 131 CARS.
I have ~1000 hrs research, ~1800 hrs clinical experience (which will continue to increase...I work as a technician at a residential psychiatric treatment center). My volunteer hours are admittedly mostly based in on-campus activities rather than going out into the wider community with the exception of helping out at a foodbank this year, and based on how I categorize things on AMCAS are up to ~1200 hrs.

I applied to 21 schools:
-all 6 CA state schools (I'm a CA resident, rejected pre-II at all 6)
-Kaiser- a wild card - pre-II R
-3 "reaches": Pitt (II, waitlist), Icahn (pre-II R), Case Western (pre-II R),
-11 mid-level: Rochester (II, waitlist), Jefferson/SKMC (II, waitlist), SLU (II, waitlist), Georgetown (II, R), USC/Keck(pre-II R), Tufts(pre-II R), NYMC(pre-II R), Albany (silent R), MCW (pre-II R), Drexel (hold), Temple (pre-II R)

I know a lot of schools and adcoms say the biggest mistake reapplicants make is applying again too soon before they've had time to make meaningful changes to their app, so my question here is whether the clinical experience I've gained at my job all year is enough of a development, or if I should wait another year.

The biggest difference in my application 2nd time around is the clinical experience. When I submitted my primary I didn't have my current job yet and only had about 200 clinical hours. I was able to talk about my job in my secondaries and interviews, but now I actually have a substantial number of hours there that would be included as one of my most meaningful activities on my primary app. And I'll be able to speak more to it and more clearly articulate how it has affected my interest in medicine after a full year of working there. Reviewing my PS and my secondaries there's also definitely some essays I can redo to make more compelling and to tell a more consistent story throughout my app.

If you've read this far thank you for taking the time, and I'd appreciate any feedback you have on whether it would be reasonable to reapply right away and/or changes/additions I should make to my school list.
I think going from 200 to 1800 clinical hours is a huge change. Try to cram some food banking hours this month, and I think it would be fair to reapply. In particular, places that preII rejected you may give you a closer look since they clearly rejected you based on low hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.