RD (Registered Dietitian) + DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad Junior and I've been working as personal trainer for the past 8 months. I really want to become a PT (my main interest is to specialize in sports PT or ortho PT).

Lately I've thinking about becoming a RD (registered Dietitian) in combination with acquiring my DPT degree. I don't know anybody that has made such a combination but to me it sounds like a very marketable combo.

Do you know anybody that has made such a combination and if so, is their job or salary any different from that of other PT's?

As a PT, do you see any use or value for this combination in degrees?

Do you think it's a waste of time to become an RD in combination with DPT?

Any input will help, THANKS

P.S. I know that becoming a RD requires a 6-8 month internship and a passing score on the RD test aside from acquiring a bachelor's degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think I should add:

Currently I am a Nutritional Science Major (different from dietetics) with my current major I would have nutritional knowledge but I won't be legally allowed to prescribe or design nutritional programs for anybody.

Perusing a degree in dietetics and becoming a registered dietitian (RD) will allow me to design nutritional programs and advice/consult people about their nutritional problems or concerns. However this will require that I take 15 extra credits to graduate on time (which right now is doable but will take more effort) AND I will have to do a 6-8 month internship (which costs like $5000) after acquiring my bachelor’s degree. This means that to become an RD + DPT it will take me 4 extra years after undergrad (1 yr RD, 3 yrs DPT). As I said doing such a combination really calls my attention because it sounds very marketable, and I truly enjoy both fields, but I don’t want to do it if at the end I’m not going to receive any benefits from it.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or info on the topic??

I think you are right, it can be very marketable if you play it right.

If you want to do it, just do it. While it may be considered unconventional, you never know about the kinds of things employers are looking for. It is never a bad thing to have qualifications that range in a number of overlapping areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say if you have an interest to do PT, then do it. I was originally planning on doing the RD thing but then I realized the pay is sub-par. I don't know how well the the RD + PT is going to be marketable but some employers MIGHT be looking for that, i dont know. But what's for certain is that PT is in demand right now and you will be able to find a decent paying job regardless of a the RD

Several of us in my clinic would LOVE to have access to an RD, but the trouble is getting insurance to pay for a dietician if it isn't for someone with very select diagnoses. So if you came to our clinic with your CV, you would stand apart from the crowd. (The only thing is we just have such a PT shortage it wouldn't make a difference in this market.) I certainly see the utility, especially in wounds, bariatric care for starters doing program development. This may justify the added cost as an expert with two hats, and allow a competitive edge marketing the program. Clinical research may be another route to go to recoup training costs--demonstrate benefit and $$ may follow.
I live by the idea of do what has meaning and brings you professional satisfaction, and the money will either follow or not matter.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an undergrad Junior and I've been working as personal trainer for the past 8 months. I really want to become a PT (my main interest is to specialize in sports PT or ortho PT).

Lately I've thinking about becoming a RD (registered Dietitian) in combination with acquiring my DPT degree. I don't know anybody that has made such a combination but to me it sounds like a very marketable combo.

Do you know anybody that has made such a combination and if so, is their job or salary any different from that of other PT's?

P.S. I know that becoming a RD requires a 6-8 month internship and a passing score on the RD test aside from acquiring a bachelor's degree.
"Pipeto

Pipeto,

My reply to this post is some 6 years later, but I was hoping for a follow-up. I have found myself in the exact same position as you described in the original post. I am currently enrolled in a Food Science program, which upon graduation would make me eligible for a dietetics internship. My ultimate goal is Physical Therapy, but I went through quite a bit to put myself in a position to pursue both titles. Similar to yourself I have a passion for both fields, and I think there is a tremendous amount of overlap between the two.

Did you, or do you know of anyone, who went through with being both a RD and PT? I too feel it would be a highly marketable/desirable combination, which is why I went through the trouble...

Again, I know your post was 6 years ago, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask since I find myself in the exact same position as yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
"Pipeto

Pipeto,

My reply to this post is some 6 years later, but I was hoping for a follow-up. I have found myself in the exact same position as you described in the original post. I am currently enrolled in a Food Science program, which upon graduation would make me eligible for a dietetics internship. My ultimate goal is Physical Therapy, but I went through quite a bit to put myself in a position to pursue both titles. Similar to yourself I have a passion for both fields, and I think there is a tremendous amount of overlap between the two.

Did you, or do you know of anyone, who went through with being both a RD and PT? I too feel it would be a highly marketable/desirable combination, which is why I went through the trouble...

Again, I know your post was 6 years ago, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask since I find myself in the exact same position as yourself.

Hey I'm in the same situation with you too! I'm currently a first year DPT student and I was thinking of pursing a masters in dietetics to become an RD after PT school/residency. I feel that this combo would be marketable especially if you decide to open your own clinic. This way you can prescribe and consult using both fields. Let me know on what your opinions are.

Choose what you want to do first: DPT or RD. After you finish one program, then decide whether you want to continue to go to school. I think you might change your mind after PT school. How much schooling do you want? Do you want to take out loans the rest of your life? Yes an RD+DPT would be a unique qualification, but it's going to cost you more time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys I hate to send this way after the fact but I'm about to graduate with my BS in dietetics so I will be doing my internship next year to become an RD and applying for my dpt for the following year. I was just wondering if there is a hard transition between the fields and also if I would need to complete my GRE's prior to admission for the program? Thanks!

Choose what you want to do first: DPT or RD. After you finish one program, then decide whether you want to continue to go to school. I think you might change your mind after PT school. How much schooling do you want? Do you want to take out loans the rest of your life? Yes an RD+DPT would be a unique qualification, but it's going to cost you more time and money.

I agree. If you don't already have a bachelor's degree that allows you to become an RD, I don't see going to school and getting another degree to be worth the cost (both tuition-wise and opportunity cost of spending years more in school). Your salary is only going to be better as a PT/RD if you work both jobs (at least I imagine, which would probably mean working all hours, 60+/week). I doubt somebody hiring you to work as a PT is going to offer you significantly more money because you are an RD.

And to whoever asked the 6 year old OP with 3 posts for a follow-up...don't count on it lol

...if I would need to complete my GRE's prior to admission for the program? Thanks!

Almost all PT schools require a GRE score...there are a handful that don't, but I don't really see anyone applying for PT school without taking it.

And BTW, all the basics about the application process can be found by visiting schools websites, PTCAS and searching SDN, among other methods.