Rcsi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzpot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one applied to RCSI GEP 2006? Is the competition tough!

Members don't see this ad.

i am offered a place on the rcsi 6 yr medical programme and have Accepted the offer. anyone here was offered too? i thought it be kinda fun to make friends here, before we start school in october.

And the offer to rcsi is only for entry in 2006. right? is there any way they will allow students to defer one study year?

Has anyone ever been rejected after the RCSI interview?
I have one coming up, just wondering about the success rates for getting an offer after an interview!!! (6 year programme, that is)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to know also...

Before I went to the interview, I was told by Atl Bridge that it was mainly a formality and that I had nothing to worry about. That being said, neither of the people who interviewed with me are in my class (which doesn't necessarily mean anything) and I have heard of people being rejected post-interview.

Here are the some things to keep in mind during the interview, ie, here's what Cliona or AJ or whoever else you have for the interview want to know about.

1) Motivation (try to say something a little more profound than, "I want to help sick people)
2) Extra-curriculars, esp Sports, now I play no sports so that didn't hurt me too much but if you do, talk it up. Good ones are: rugby (men's), field hockey (women), basketball (women), equestrian, sailing. (essentially anything posh, which leads me to)
3) Money. Don't beat them over the head with it, but make sure they know you have more than enough to pay for the 5/6 years when they ask (and they will ask), also, just be aware that Dublin is very expensive (especially compared to somewhere like Toronto) and don't be afraid to mention, if appropriate, that you have siblings considering medicine as well!
4) The Curriculum. It shows you know something about the School and are interested in it. eg, you're very interested in Neurology/Neurosurgery and you've heard that RCSI is attached to the country's main Neuro hospital.
5) You're normal! Although it may be your entire life, the interview may not be the best time to bust out your extensive Victorian stamp collection.

Remember that although you may feel intimidated by these people (and often they do give off that aura in the interview room) most of them are very amiable people (they're Irish for god's sake!). So try to have a good time in the short span that you have in there.

Good luck.

dirtymac42 said:
Before I went to the interview, I was told by Atl Bridge that it was mainly a formality and that I had nothing to worry about. That being said, neither of the people who interviewed with me are in my class (which doesn't necessarily mean anything) and I have heard of people being rejected post-interview.

Here are the some things to keep in mind during the interview, ie, here's what Cliona or AJ or whoever else you have for the interview want to know about.

1) Motivation (try to say something a little more profound than, "I want to help sick people)
2) Extra-curriculars, esp Sports, now I play no sports so that didn't hurt me too much but if you do, talk it up. Good ones are: rugby (men's), field hockey (women), basketball (women), equestrian, sailing. (essentially anything posh, which leads me to)
3) Money. Don't beat them over the head with it, but make sure they know you have more than enough to pay for the 5/6 years when they ask (and they will ask), also, just be aware that Dublin is very expensive (especially compared to somewhere like Toronto) and don't be afraid to mention, if appropriate, that you have siblings considering medicine as well!
4) The Curriculum. It shows you know something about the School and are interested in it. eg, you're very interested in Neurology/Neurosurgery and you've heard that RCSI is attached to the country's main Neuro hospital.
5) You're normal! Although it may be your entire life, the interview may not be the best time to bust out your extensive Victorian stamp collection.

Remember that although you may feel intimidated by these people (and often they do give off that aura in the interview room) most of them are very amiable people (they're Irish for god's sake!). So try to have a good time in the short span that you have in there.

Good luck.

Thanks a ton dirtymac! This forum isn't exactly the most active and I suppose it's because people are tired of replying to the same questions over and over again. So thanks for the great tips.

I've been reading up in various forums about RCSI interviews and they don't seem to be too bad... as long as you know what you're doing it sounds fine. I guess it's time for me to read up on its curriculum! So far all I know is that pre-med year involves learning about "physical, chemical and biological processes in the body". Heh. :oops:

Good luck to everyone!

dirtymac42 said:

Good luck.

Here is a list of the desirable characteristics that RCSI looks for in their applicants during interviews:
1) Money;
2) Money;
3) Money;
4) Money;
5) Money;
6) Money;
7) Money;
8) Money;
9) Money; and finally,
10) More money.

Jammer said:
Here is a list of the desirable characteristics that RCSI looks for in their applicants during interviews:
1) Money;
2) Money;
3) Money;
4) Money;
5) Money;
6) Money;
7) Money;
8) Money;
9) Money; and finally,
10) More money.

hey Jammer, is it okay if you just stop bashing RCSI for once? Or could you tell us a bit about your personal experience(s) with RCSi that's made you so upset with the college? That would be appreciated, thanks.

arcticmonkeys said:
Thanks a ton dirtymac! This forum isn't exactly the most active and I suppose it's because people are tired of replying to the same questions over and over again. So thanks for the great tips.

I've been reading up in various forums about RCSI interviews and they don't seem to be too bad... as long as you know what you're doing it sounds fine. I guess it's time for me to read up on its curriculum! So far all I know is that pre-med year involves learning about "physical, chemical and biological processes in the body". Heh. :oops:

Good luck to everyone!

Hey I would appreciate if you could tell me where you have been reading up on RCSI interviews since mine is coming up in a few days! :)

arcticmonkeys said:
hey Jammer, is it okay if you just stop bashing RCSI for once? Or could you tell us a bit about your personal experience(s) with RCSi that's made you so upset with the college? That would be appreciated, thanks.

Just look back at some my previous posts. When you read them, just remember that they are just the tip of the iceberg.

arcticmonkeys said:
He's not bashing it - he's helping you out. The only important question you need to answer is "how are you planning on paying for your education". I'm not bashing RCSI - that's just a fact. Take from it whatever you want.

By the way, the correct answer is, "blah blah blah blah blah, but if that doesn't work out, my parents have loads of money and will help me."

Good luck at the interview!!

Sage880 said:
He's not bashing it - he's helping you out. The only important question you need to answer is "how are you planning on paying for your education". I'm not bashing RCSI - that's just a fact. Take from it whatever you want.

By the way, the correct answer is, "blah blah blah blah blah, but if that doesn't work out, my parents have loads of money and will help me."

Good luck at the interview!!

Thanks Sage and Jammer! I don't know, it's really hard to determine how life is in Ireland or how the school is when I'm half way across the world...it is a risk going overseas but I also see a lot of different opinions (as in everything). Some seem to be fine and love it, others not so much. Some might not get the residence they want while others try real hard and are successful. I suppose in a way it's different from N.American medical schools where, once you're in you're basically guaranteed a good education and first choice in whatever, as opposed to N.Americans in Ireland - yes, studying medicine - but slightly disadvantaged I guess...

I don't know what I'm going on about, but uh... =D

I really dont understand what the fuss is about
I am an international student in the states at a ivy league school

I just visited rcsi and yes, it is expensive.... is it worth the money? hard to say

so I guess its alright for the US to charge international students lots of tuition and its not alright for Ireland to do the same to international students?

Jammer and sage, I am sorry if you are carrying lots of debt, but at least on my "acceptance of place" form, the price was bolded.

Members don't see this ad :)
okisdwed said:

I just visited rcsi and yes, it is expensive.... is it worth the money? hard to say

so I guess its alright for the US to charge international students lots of tuition and its not alright for Ireland to do the same to international students?

Jammer and sage, I am sorry if you are carrying lots of debt, but at least on my "acceptance of place" form, the price was bolded.

When you visited RCSI, did you bother to open your eyes even once???

If you attend an Ivy League school and have visited RCSI, then you will probably realize that there is a big difference in what you get for your money when you compare them with RCSI. Also, your Ivy League diploma will get you a lot of name recognition internationally, both within and outside of the medical profession, opening up job opportunities.

My criticism is about poor value for money. More importantly, in the least, RCSI should be more responsive to the international students that are footing the bills for everyone else. This is a question of relatives, not absolutes.

Jammer said:
When you visited RCSI, did you bother to open your eyes even once???

If you attend an Ivy League school and have visited RCSI, then you will probably realize that there is a big difference in what you get for your money when you compare them with RCSI. Also, your Ivy League diploma will get you a lot of name recognition internationally, both within and outside of the medical profession, opening up job opportunities.

My criticism is about poor value for money. More importantly, in the least, RCSI should be more responsive to the international students that are footing the bills for everyone else. This is a question of relatives, not absolutes.

my ivy league school didn't give a rats @$$ about me, my freshman yr roomate told me that my race deserves to die

and guess what, I am footed everyone's bill for 4 years. I think it's cool to see Americans now becoming internationals..... footing bills for everyone, getting ignored or stupid comments thrown at

okisdwed said:
my ivy league school didn't give a rats @$$ about me, my freshman yr roomate told me that my race deserves to die

and guess what, I am footed everyone's bill for 4 years. I think it's cool to see Americans now becoming internationals..... footing bills for everyone, getting ignored or stupid comments thrown at

oops, I have footed not I am footed

okisdwed said:

I don't go to RCSI but I know people who do. I don't think anything bad about them as a school (in terms of education). I don't even care that they charge more then the other Irish schools for the same product - they're private, they can do what they want.

My only complaint is that I think they skew statistics and prey on the fears of a very anxious group of people (pre-meds thinking of going to school away from home) to get them to come to RCSI. My only problem with them is their use of scare tatics. They promise you the world if you go to their school (100% match! Rotations at the Mayo clinic!) and make it seem that you don't have a choice really - you need to go to RCSI.

And I can't argue this because it's just an opinion, but I don't think that the extra 10K Euro a year gets passed on to the students. People think that RCSI posters are kicking a dead horse bashing RCSI but my reason for periodically posting my opinions is to hopefully help other international students choose Trinity, UCD, UCC, or UCG instead and save a lot of money. Trust me, if RCSI was so great all the crazy rich Irish kids in med (who have gone to a private school all their life) would be going there as well but they don't!

Sage880 said:
I don't go to RCSI but I know people who do. I don't think anything bad about them as a school (in terms of education). I don't even care that they charge more then the other Irish schools for the same product - they're private, they can do what they want.

My only complaint is that I think they skew statistics and prey on the fears of a very anxious group of people (pre-meds thinking of going to school away from home) to get them to come to RCSI. My only problem with them is their use of scare tatics. They promise you the world if you go to their school (100% match! Rotations at the Mayo clinic!) and make it seem that you don't have a choice really - you need to go to RCSI.

And I can't argue this because it's just an opinion, but I don't think that the extra 10K Euro a year gets passed on to the students. People think that RCSI posters are kicking a dead horse bashing RCSI but my reason for periodically posting my opinions is to hopefully help other international students choose Trinity, UCD, UCC, or UCG instead and save a lot of money. Trust me, if RCSI was so great all the crazy rich Irish kids in med (who have gone to a private school all their life) would be going there as well but they don't!

my ivy league education is also not as worthwhile as, for example, UCR-UCLA medical program

I had to rely on princeton review for everything.

Just to let you know, in case you don't know already, education is expensive

okisdwed said:
Just to let you know, in case you don't know already, education is expensive
Did you even read my post? I'm not complaining about the money. True, you can get the same education for 66% of the RCSI fees at any other Irish school but my main point was how I didn't like that the school lies and preys on fears and hopes of anxious pre-meds.

You seem obsessed about the money. Quick question - why go to an "ivy league school" if you don't feel you're getting the value out of what you're paying for it? Why not attend somewhere else?

Let's be honest, if someone had offers from RCSI and Trinity, they'd go to Trinity. More established university, greater diversity (not just medics) and cheaper. Thing is, RCSI have the tendency to take in more students with lower academic levels, whereas Trinity is a trillion times harder to get into, thus students go to RCSI. I'd love to go to Trinity, however i know that i stand a much better chance at RCSI, which is still an admirable school.

zeyad said:
Let's be honest, if someone had offers from RCSI and Trinity, they'd go to Trinity. More established university, greater diversity (not just medics) and cheaper. Thing is, RCSI have the tendency to take in more students with lower academic levels, whereas Trinity is a trillion times harder to get into, thus students go to RCSI. I'd love to go to Trinity, however i know that i stand a much better chance at RCSI, which is still an admirable school.
Yes, good point. And all being said, the level of education you receive at RCSI is certainly not lower then anywhere else in the country. You should not feel bad about going to RCSI as the medical schools in Ireland are suprisingly consistant in what they teach.

Sage880 said:
Yes, good point. And all being said, the level of education you receive at RCSI is certainly not lower then anywhere else in the country. You should not feel bad about going to RCSI as the medical schools in Ireland are suprisingly consistant in what they teach.

so what is the fuss about

it's not about money, it's just the lack of choice

Yeah, I agree. If you don't get in anywhere else then RCSI is still a medical school. Glad your interview went well.

Honestly its not any better going to UCD or trinity over RCSI. They are all pretty damn equal in terms of education. What gets me worked up is that people who are in Trinity or UCD on these forums bash RCSI way too much. Face it we are all going to be IMGs when we graduate and in essence we are all buying our way into a medschool in Ireland so lets just leave it at that
(I know i shouldn't be saying this since i am going to ireland myself)

There is no point in saying its a "trillion" times harder to get into Trinity. ITS not. If it is such an accomplishment to get into Trinity then why not apply to medschools in North America in the first place? :rolleyes: If you have the money, its almost guaranteed you'll be going to a medschool in Ireland ;) Unless you are really terrible at writing a half decent essay. :laugh:

Phew my rant is done and i needed to get that off my chest.

I don't think it's Trinity/UCD students bashing RCSI or what not. The most bashing on these forums I've seen are from RCSI students themselves, believe it or not. I think the idea that Trinity is harder to get into applies mainly for leaving cert students (native Irish), as Trinity used to require the most number of points. However, I think that has equalized now and all schools now require about the same number of points. But this doesn't apply to international students. RCSI may take in more international students because their proportion of international:irish students is not the same as the other universities. None of the schools are better educationally than the others, and each has its pros and cons at both pre-clinical and clinical levels.