RCSI vs UCD Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hassano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I looked for similar threads but they were all outdated so i thought id ask some questions for those of you who are in Ireland or either one of the schools right now.

What are the major differences? Is RCSI really worth the extra 15k in euros? Whats the match rate for people coming back? Is it higher for one of the schools over the other?
Does RCSI still have the university feel even though its strictly a med. school?
Does RCSI have good facilities for student (good lounge, gym, sports facilities, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone from either schools care to comment?

In terms of matching all Irish schools are essentially the same. What I found is that staff/faculty at each of the individual schools claim their students are successful and match into North America without any problems but in reality most of the students select the least desired/competitive slots because they know they don't have a shot in hell for the top or above average specialties.

In terms of popularity I think UCD is most popular amongst the North Americans because its cheaper, its in Dublin which is a major city and not an unknown little town, its quite diverse, and their curriculum is pretty good and intensive on par with a lot of Canadian schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of matching all Irish schools are essentially the same. What I found is that staff/faculty at each of the individual schools claim their students are successful and match into North America without any problems but in reality most of the students select the least desired/competitive slots because they know they don't have a shot in hell for the top or above average specialties.

In terms of popularity I think UCD is most popular amongst the North Americans because its cheaper, its in Dublin which is a major city and not an unknown little town, its quite diverse, and their curriculum is pretty good and intensive on par with a lot of Canadian schools.

thank you, thats good to know!

Not really.

The majority of students do not self-select the least desired/competitive residency programs. They apply and match into competitive residencies more often than not. There's also a misconception on what specialties are difficult to obtain.

UCD is not the most popular. RCSI is the most popular and most well-known.

UCD is not cheaper than the other schools (other than RCSI).

Curriculum is not like a Canadian medical school in terms of content or intensity.

As far as content and intensity of the curriculum in Irish schools, what is it like? compared Canadian, American school?

And just wondering, are you a student at RCSI or UCD?

Im also wondering about something that was originally mentioned in the first post.
How are RCSI's facilities? I read a bit about gyms and workout facilities some places, but nothing in detail.
Are they run-down, or are the gyms well kept? Are they open to all RCSI students all the time? (for basketball or any other sports)

The majority of students do not self-select the least desired/competitive residency programs. They apply and match into competitive residencies more often than not. There's also a misconception on what specialties are difficult to obtain.

UCD is not the most popular. RCSI is the most popular and most well-known.

UCD is not cheaper than the other schools (other than RCSI).

Curriculum is not like a Canadian medical school in terms of content or intensity.

that is good to hear, thank you!

I probably should rephrase this...RCSI isn't any more well known amongst Americans or Canadians than any of the other Irish schools. The Irish locals will have great things to say about all of these Irish schools (the national schools have a great rep apparently) but we all know their opinion doesn't matter...its all about what the Americans/Canadians think and RCSI isn't any more well known or reputable than UCD. North Americans know the difference between Harvard versus Penn State...but if you mention UCD versus RCSI you'll get the same blank stare.

Most American/Canadian schools who get accepted to either RCSI or UCD end up opting for UCD since it's cheaper...the difference you could use to cover your yearly living expenses. None of the Irish schools have a curriculum precisely on par with the Canadian curriculum but UCD is as close as they come. I should reiterate again...if you can get into a North American school by all means stick to that plan.

I meant to post this to everyone awhile back but completely forgot till now :rolleyes:

The Irish students over here usually use this forum, so Id say give it a look over and ask them some questions... They are usually quite helpful and would have a better understanding of differences between schools etc...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

There is also a good one here if interested as well,
http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/forum.php#irish-medical-schools

You'll be finding all your future classmates here, since Irish students dont usually come till SDN (till say USMLE time). But they dont start receiving offers till later this summer...

Happy hunting :)

In terms of intensity, it all depends on what program you are in. for example, the 5 year program at rcsi is not intensive. On the other hand, the gep program moves very fast. I am not sure how the curriculum back in Canada is run but I can clarify that being a GEP at rcsi isnt easy.