RCSI to TRINITY OR UCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShotCalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard do you think it would be for someone who will complete their foundation year at RCSI to transfer to UCD or Trinity for their first year. Is it possible? This is mainly beacuse of the Tuition fee.

What do you think would be the procedure and do u think I'd annoy some people (namely RCSI staff) along the way?

Do you personally think this is a good move?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't think you will be able to transfer, unless you have a very very good reason. (money isn't going to cut it). Once you're committed to a school, you're generally committed. Of course, you can try...but I don't think you'll meet with much success...or sympathy. The argument will be that you have already started medical education, so there is no need to switch places. And that you should have thought of your finances before even applying for RCSI, you knew what you were getting into and accepted it.

I would say it is worth a try. It can't harm you. And plus, if it don't work out, it will be a learning experience - you know?

I don't know the exact difference between their curriculum and ours. But I am sure they would want to see documentation of completion and maybe course work. I would contact trinity and ask - they might require you to have certain marks, etc etc.

On the contrary, Ireland is a very conservative place when it comes to things like studying and practising medicine. Hence, I would suspect that 'leor' isn't too far off when she said it would be difficult. But, hey! it's worth a shot, if the money is that much of an issue. RCSI is a great college though, and the people you come into contact with have tons of experience and great affiliation with US schools - so that's always a plus if you are thinking to go back to the states!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is uncommon.

But oh for the spanophilia [love of the rare].

It happened to a girl who graduated with me [my grad year was 2003].

An Irish 1st year girl moved from RCSI to UCD for her 2nd year onwards.

Major caveat was that the med student was a UCD prof's daughter.

Best wishes,
roo

roo said:
It is uncommon.

But oh for the spanophilia [love of the rare].

It happened to a girl who graduated with me [my grad year was 2003].

An Irish 1st year girl moved from RCSI to UCD for her 2nd year onwards.

Major caveat was that the med student was a UCD prof's daughter.

Best wishes,
roo

The major difference is that she's Irish, so she's not paying fees, therefore it's no major loss to RCSI. They'll be much less willing to let the cash cows... sorry, international students ;) transfer I'll bet.