RCSI Student here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S0B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently attending the Royal College of surgeons in ireland and I am from Canada. I am in my first year and I can answer any questions you have (including admission questions)

Feel free to ask! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there :D

These are my stats, have I a fighting chance?

I'm from: New York

My country of citizenship is: USA/Republic of Ireland

Bachelor's: Psychology B.S.

At this University: State University of New York, Cortland

My GPA was: 3.4 (cum laude)

My MCAT Scores were: Not Taken. Took 1 year gen chem, 1 year gen bio, stats, calc, lots of english, neuroscience, psychopharmacology and other science courses.

Extracurricular/Awards: 400 volunteer hours at community hospital, Internship in Psychiatry @ NY Presbyterian, 2x neuroscience studies author (1 likely to be published), inducted into tri-beta bio honor society, 4x dean's list, short internship in nuclear medicine at local hospital, assisting blind professor in writing a book on cognitive linguistics and a few other things I listed on my CV, behavioral neuroscience teaching assistant

I applied to: Trinity, NUIG, RCSI, UCD (5 year programs)
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: RCSI

Last edited:
Hello there :D

These are my stats, have I a fighting chance?

I'm from: New York

My country of citizenship is: USA/Republic of Ireland

Bachelor's: Psychology B.S.

At this University: State University of New York, Cortland

My GPA was: 3.4 (cum laude)

My MCAT Scores were: Not Taken. Took 1 year gen chem, 1 year gen bio, stats, calc, lots of english, neuroscience, psychopharmacology and other science courses.

Extracurricular/Awards: 400 volunteer hours at community hospital, Internship in Psychiatry @ NY Presbyterian, 2x neuroscience studies author (1 likely to be published), inducted into tri-beta bio honor society, 4x dean's list, short internship in nuclear medicine at local hospital, assisting blind professor in writing a book on cognitive linguistics and a few other things I listed on my CV, behavioral neuroscience teaching assistant

I applied to: Trinity, NUIG, RCSI, UCD (5 year programs)
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: RCSI

Very good shot at interviews from RCSI and possibly NUIG, not sure about UCD though. Interviews for RCSI are usually given out early-mid February

Members don't see this ad :)
Deleted

Last edited:
I'm from: Ontario

My country of citizenship is: Canada

Degrees: Combined Hons. BSc Biochemistry & Molecular Biology & Biology

At this University: Dalhousie University

My GPA is: ~3.4/4.3

My MCAT Scores were: Taking MCAT in March

Extracurricular: Worked as student PA in rural hospital for a summer with direct patient contact, varsity rowing team for 4 years, about to publish research paper for honours project, conservation project in Costa Rica, ESL tutor, Peer mentor, Lifeguard

I applied to: All Ireland-GEP programs and 5 year, Northern Ontario School of Medicine
Interviews: none yet
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: NOSM

I have applied to medical schools this many times: first time

I have low GPA but how are my chances looking?

I'm from: Ontario

My country of citizenship is: Canada

Degrees: Combined Hons. BSc Biochemistry & Molecular Biology & Biology

At this University: Dalhousie University

My GPA is: ~3.4/4.3

My MCAT Scores were: Taking MCAT in March

Extracurricular: Worked as student PA in rural hospital for a summer with direct patient contact, varsity rowing team for 4 years, about to publish research paper for honours project, conservation project in Costa Rica, ESL tutor, Peer mentor, Lifeguard

I applied to: All Ireland-GEP programs and 5 year, Northern Ontario School of Medicine
Interviews: none yet
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: NOSM

I have low GPA but how are my chances looking?

You're chances are decent, I wouldnt say guaranteed but Id wait on that MCAT score and if its above 32, it will definitely improve your chances drastically. However, your biology background should give you a bit of an advantage on other candidates who are studying social sciences / arts.

Hey congrats on getting into RCSI! What program are you in? And do you have any pertinent advice for the interview?

Hey congrats on getting into RCSI! What program are you in? And do you have any pertinent advice for the interview?

I am in the 6-year program (Straight out of high school)

Best advice I can give is: Prepare your answers but dont over-prepare. The interview is more of a conversation than anything else. Smile, act natural and dont be afraid to flaunt your talents and experiences.

thankyou for offerring to help. I am a high school student with an average of 88. I got offerred an interview at RCSI next month. Any advice? what are my chances? If they do offer a place what is the conditional offer like? I am in IB program. Will they ask me to get a certain score? and are the flexible if its missed by a point or two?

thankyou for offerring to help. I am a high school student with an average of 88. I got offerred an interview at RCSI next month. Any advice? what are my chances? If they do offer a place what is the conditional offer like? I am in IB program. Will they ask me to get a certain score? and are the flexible if its missed by a point or two?

Best advice I can give is be confident and show off your experiences and talents. One thing I continually mentioned in the interview was my extensive volunteer work at the hospital. The interviewer really admired the fact that I was actively involved in the community and maintained a high average.

With an 88%, (I am assuming around a 34-36 IB score?) your chances are very good. The conditional offer for IB's is a joke, last I checked it was 28 points for IB top 6 (or 80%). These are really low scores to maintain so, I doubt they would be flexible.

how long is it before one finds out if there is an offer or not? I did lots of volunteering in medical clinics, actually worked in a pharmacy and a medical clinic and have done fund raising for the heart and stroke foundation for many years. I was head girl of residence in my boarding school and besides that did lots of activities at school. I dont have much athletics or music . Do they still consider your marks at the interview or is it that basically academically you are good enough hence got invited and now its about personality? Did they ask you how you plan to pay for school? Any specific questions they asked? What % of interviewed get offered a place?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long is it before one finds out if there is an offer or not? I did lots of volunteering in medical clinics, actually worked in a pharmacy and a medical clinic and have done fund raising for the heart and stroke foundation for many years. I was head girl of residence in my boarding school and besides that did lots of activities at school. I dont have much athletics or music . Do they still consider your marks at the interview or is it that basically academically you are good enough hence got invited and now its about personality? Did they ask you how you plan to pay for school? Any specific questions they asked? What % of interviewed get offered a place?

Basically once you get they interview, they check your social skills and make sure you would be well suited to handle a Medical curriculum and living in Ireland.

Yes, they always ask how you plan to pay for the school (its expensive as hell as you know)

I was told its around 33% chance of getting a spot after interview, could be lower though (More competition)

Hi, I'm a 43 yr old Pharma executive from Canada. I have a B+ average in both undergrad and MBA. I did not write the MCATS as RSCI does not require it. I have applied but was wondering would I have a chance to restart a new career in medicine.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a 43 yr old Pharma executive from Canada. I have a B+ average in both undergrad and MBA. I did not write the MCATS as RSCI does not require it. I have applied but was wondering would I have a chance to restart a new career in medicine.

Each application is based on its own merits, I am guessing you applied for the 5 year program? There are many mature candidates at RCSI and age is usually not a factor in determining whether a candidate is accepted (old or young, I was only 16 at the time of application). Although the 5 year program (assuming thats what you applied for) tends to be a bit more competitive because it encompasses people in high school taking higher level courses, people who have started but not completed college/university and those who have completed a degree. You should be offered an interview if all of your other stats are competitive.

I just graduated with a B.S. 3.4 GPA, no MCAT, excellent ECs (or so I've been led to believe), great letters (I assume). Applied to the 5 year program at RCSI, but did not receive an invite for interviews. Perhaps there will be a second round?

I just graduated with a B.S. 3.4 GPA, no MCAT, excellent ECs (or so I've been led to believe), great letters (I assume). Applied to the 5 year program at RCSI, but did not receive an invite for interviews. Perhaps there will be a second round?

There is more than one round. Check premed101.com forums. They do talk about Ireland there as well.

Thanks for the info, medstart. That's a confidence booster :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I am currently attending the Royal College of surgeons in ireland and I am from Canada. I am in my first year and I can answer any questions you have (including admission questions)

So kind of you! I've been wondering what my chances are like...

I'm from: Quebec

My country of citizenship is: Canada (could get Irish citizenship though, I'm 1st gen in Canada)

Degrees: BSc Physiology with an Arts Minor

At this University: McGill

My GPA is: ~3.5/4 (but was a smidge lower when I applied)

My MCAT Scores were: 31S (10/10/11)

Extracurricular: Volunteer for the past 7 years in hospitals (Veteran's, Children's hospitals in Day Surgery), competitive Irish dance for the past 15 years, Mentor at Big Brother's Big Sisters, and I won a public speaking contest last year to be chosen as Queen of St.Patrick's parade, among various others, those are my top ECs. Work experience at a summer camp, and working this summer in a research lab. Host of academic (and other) awards.

I applied to: All Ireland-GEP programs, King's and Queen's in the UK, Saba, McGill, U de Montreal, Sherbrooke, 4 Ontario schools
I got an interview at: Queen's Belfast and RSCI
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Ontario med schools and McGill :(

My first choice school is: Well it was McGill, pretty up in the air at the moment

So kind of you! I've been wondering what my chances are like...

I'm from: Quebec

My country of citizenship is: Canada (could get Irish citizenship though, I'm 1st gen in Canada)

Degrees: BSc Physiology with an Arts Minor

At this University: McGill

My GPA is: ~3.5/4 (but was a smidge lower when I applied)

My MCAT Scores were: 31S (10/10/11)

Extracurricular: Volunteer for the past 7 years in hospitals (Veteran's, Children's hospitals in Day Surgery), competitive Irish dance for the past 15 years, Mentor at Big Brother's Big Sisters, and I won a public speaking contest last year to be chosen as Queen of St.Patrick's parade, among various others, those are my top ECs. Work experience at a summer camp, and working this summer in a research lab. Host of academic (and other) awards.

I applied to: All Ireland-GEP programs, King's and Queen's in the UK, Saba, McGill, U de Montreal, Sherbrooke, 4 Ontario schools
I got an interview at: Queen's Belfast and RSCI
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Ontario med schools and McGill :(

My first choice school is: Well it was McGill, pretty up in the air at the moment

Hey, if i were to get acceptances from RCSI and Queen's Belfast, i would choose RCSI. First it is because you are irish and can get irish citizenship. That might make it easier to get an internship in Ireland? (i don't know if this is true for sure) More importantly, more Canadians go to RCSI and so it will be much easier to go through the whole CaRMS process with a group than alone with no guidance.

RCSI will have a substantial alumni base in NA whereas Queen's Belfast won't. This might help you down the road as well.

Thank you so much for offering :)
I was invited to the RCSI interview next week
Can you please recall what Qs did they ask you during your interview please?
What was the most difficult one you think it was?
and what was ur answer about
why this school?
Why choosing you?
Did you apply to other school in there?

My average in 11th grade was 87%
My biology grade was 82 this year and was so devastated with it, o you think I still have chance to get in after the interview with this low biology mark???:(
Thank you sooooo much

Thank you so much for offering :)
I was invited to the RCSI interview next week
Can you please recall what Qs did they ask you during your interview please?
What was the most difficult one you think it was?
and what was ur answer about
why this school?
Why choosing you?
Did you apply to other school in there?

My average in 11th grade was 87%
My biology grade was 82 this year and was so devastated with it, o you think I still have chance to get in after the interview with this low biology mark???:(
Thank you sooooo much

The main questions asked were in regards to my work/volunteer experience, achievements in school, ability to move to another country and live away from family, ability to handle medical curriculum at such a young age and how I was being funded to pay for RCSI.

Most difficult: Do you think you can handle med school? I was honest and said, I have put in alot of work in high school and am extremely motivated, however, I dont know because no one can truly understand what its like until they are placed in that situation. Other questions were more personally related to my own volunteer/work experience.

Well if you got an interview, it means that your academics were good. However, I did aim to achieve 90% in all of my courses, not sure if they measure grades post-interview. Best of luck!

i have just got a "video" interview invitation from RCSI. do You jave any idea about what is it? and can you give me some tips :) ( do they usually ask questions related to medicine such as latest medical issues or stuff like that)

and... can you share your personal experience (facilities that make them different)

sorry for asking too much..... thank you

Hello,

When did you receive an invitation to interview via video? When is it scheduled for?

have not heard of them doing these before. Where are you?

Hi I am a late applicant to the RCSI. I sent all my completed application to Altantic Bridge Program last week. Do RCSI invite applicants for interviews based on first-come-first-serve basis?

Thank you for your replies!

I have a friend who is interested in applying to Medical school in Ireland. I was a bit cautious about encouraging her to apply to medical school in Ireland as I do not have a lot of info on these schools.

How does the Atlantic Bridge Program work?

What percentage of students are Canadian?

What percentage of students are American?

How much is tuition per semester?

Where are clerkships done?

Do students have to set up their own clerkships?

Do students have to pass USMLE Step 1 BEFORE beginning clerkships?

Do students have to write Step 2 to get their degree?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 1 on their first try?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 2CK on their first try?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 2CS on their first try?

What percentage of students pass PLAB on their first try?

What percentage of students pass MCCEE on their first try?

Do the schools in the Atlantic Bridge Program and RCSI have match lists with the names of residents and the schools the matched to for residency for at least 3 years if so where can I find the lists?

These are important questions to get answers to before I would feel comfortable encouraging her to apply.

Thank you

I have a friend who is interested in applying to Medical school in Ireland. I was a bit cautious about encouraging her to apply to medical school in Ireland as I do not have a lot of info on these schools.

How does the Atlantic Bridge Program work?

What percentage of students are Canadian?

What percentage of students are American?

How much is tuition per semester?

Where are clerkships done?

Do students have to set up their own clerkships?

Do students have to pass USMLE Step 1 BEFORE beginning clerkships?

Do students have to write Step 2 to get their degree?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 1 on their first try?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 2CK on their first try?

What percentage of students pass USMLE Step 2CS on their first try?

What percentage of students pass PLAB on their first try?

What percentage of students pass MCCEE on their first try?

Do the schools in the Atlantic Bridge Program and RCSI have match lists with the names of residents and the schools the matched to for residency for at least 3 years if so where can I find the lists?

These are important questions to get answers to before I would feel comfortable encouraging her to apply.

Thank you

Go on the Atlantic Bridge website. These schools aren't designed for students to go do residency in Canada/US so they won't be publishing their stats.

Most of the students are Irish but a significant minority are Canadian with a smaller number of Americans.

Clerkships are done in Ireland not in the US or Canada.

Tuition you can look up on the AB website, its more expensive than Caribbean

Generally, students will match, keep in mind that a lot more people are going abroad in recent years so the match rates will FALL unless something dramatic is taken (opening up new residency spots in the US).

Its a risk, but it is no harder than getting into medical school itself. I.E., if you don't work hard, don't really want it, you won't match.

They don't take everyone, they have higher standards for entry than the Caribbean

The community will definitely be much friendlier than the Caribbean and you won't have the stigma of being a reject.

The programs are more well regarded than the Caribbean by PDs as many grads have mentioned from their interview experiences

There is no need to do the USMLE or MCCEE for anything. The program is entirely in Ireland and you can graduate without doing any NA exams.

The administration understands the reality of many NA students and is more lenient on students taking time off for interviews for matching etc etc.

If your friend decides to consider, keep in mind she will likely have to scratch anything other than FM, IM, Peds, Psych and possibly OB/GYN, Gen Surg off her list.

Is your friend Canadian citizen, American or dual?

Thanks for the response.

My friend is Canadian. Like me she has taken the long route to get into medicine and has completed two degrees. (She has completed her undergrad and masters, while I have completed two undergraduate degrees). She has written the MCAT several times and did well, but competition is stiff.

She is NOT a EU citizen therefore coming back to North America is her primary goal. Without data on residency placement in North America, info on how students perform on Medical Board Licensing exams (USMLE , MCCEE, PLAB) I will encourage her to stay on this side of the Pacific ocean. As you said "These schools aren't designed for students to go do residency in Canada/US...." Essentially there is no point for her to go to Europe if completing medical school there will not help her obtain a residency position in North America.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

My friend is Canadian. Like me she has taken the long route to get into medicine and has completed two degrees. (She has completed her undergrad and masters, while I have completed two undergraduate degrees). She has written the MCAT several times and did well, but competition is stiff.

She is NOT a EU citizen therefore coming back to North America is her primary goal. Without data on residency placement in North America, info on how students perform on Medical Board Licensing exams (USMLE , MCCEE, PLAB) I will encourage her to stay on this side of the Pacific ocean. As you said "These schools aren't designed for students to go do residency in Canada/US...." Essentially there is no point for her to go to Europe if completing medical school there will not help her obtain a residency position in North America.

Actually, RCSI is catered to international students and it is often MUCH harder to gain a residency position in Ireland as a international. Out of the 40-50 Canadians in my year who I have spoken with, 100% would like to go back to Canada to practice Medicine.

Currently there are over 1,000+ North Americans studying Medicine in Ireland.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response.

Even though the Caribbean will provide data on their matching, u have to remember that Ireland is still more reputable than the Caribbean for coming back. My point originally was to say that Irish medical schools have a strong history and are more reputable than Caribbean schools. They aren't designed for unsuccessful med school applicants which is supposed to be a good thing i.e. saying you go to an irish school doesn't automatically scream out (I was rejected from medical school like the caribbean does, more so in the US than Canada though).

However, at this point in time i would also recommend your friend stay in Canada and possibly give up on medicine and pursue something else.

There are about 300 Canadians graduating each year from Ireland with hopes of returning to Canada, there are about 50 Canadians who graduate each year from the UK, many who also want to return to Canada. There are further many more in the Caribbean, Poland, Australia and Hong Kong who want to return to Canada (i don't know these numbers but they could easily be another 400). A recent CBC article said there were 3.5k Canadians studying medicine abroad (the vast majority want to return). There are only 300 IMG spots in Canada each year, with many restricted based on province of origin, language barriers (Quebec), return of service (most provinces make you work in a rural area for 3-5 years). There is no easy way into medicine, going abroad is no shortcut, it is just another option.

If your friend isn't at or above the median for medical school acceptees at this stage, i would probably recommend not applying anymore. As you said she has completed an undergrad and a masters, she has also written the MCAT several times. Medicine is not for everyone, and going to Ireland will not guarantee you even family medicine in Canada or the US. Residency spots are closing down in the US and the US is heavily indebt. It is certainly not worth spending 4 years in medical school accumulating debt without a guarantee of a job.

Not everyone can being a doctor, wanting to be one since you were 4 doesn't mean you can.

Last edited:
I do not believe that the situation is that bad. I knew quite a few of IMG medical graduates over the years. Sooner or later they matched into Canada if they wanted. It might have taken a little longer or they might have had to work as a clinical assistant for a year or two, but eventually, they all matched.

Last edited:
I do not believe that the situation is that bad. I knew quite a few of IMG medical graduates over the years. Sooner or later they matched into Canada if they wanted. It might have taken a little longer or they might have had to work as a clinical assistant for a year or two, but eventually, they all mached.

I am probably one of the few pessimist CSA here, but i've come to a realization that its very risky. The stories we hear when applying are people who entered in 2006-2008. More and more people go to Ireland every year and Canada certainly won't be increasing IMG spots and the US is becoming more and more competitive every year with the opening of new schools like weeds. When CSAs entering this year or next year start matching in 2016-2020, the competition will be much more fierce.

The number of high school graduates in total is increasing every year. Acceptance rates at Ivy League colleges have been dropping precipitously, there are more and more applicants ever year. Columbia went from 15% in 2002 to 6% in 2012. Ontario grads will know that 90k people graduated high school in 2012, which was the first time more high school students graduated in one year than the year Ontario combined Gr. 12 and Gr. 13 together which was in 2003. With more graduating students, naturally comes more pre-meds.

The students who matched this year and in previous years studied overseas when the whole concept of Ireland was less well known, and there was less competition.

More and more Canadians will graduate every year while residency spots stagnate. the Canadian medical association predicts that by 2014-2015 the shortage of specialists in Canada will be gone and by 2018 the shortage of family medicine will be gone. Canadian medical schools have been increasing enrollment in past years to cover this rapidly shrinking shortage of physicians.

In the US, there is still a shortage of physicians however, because more medical schools are opening up, it will still be difficult for IMGs and unless the US government finds funding to increase residency spots, it will get harder to match.

There is am article in The Medical Post this week about how they are easing the requirements for IMG's. I don't believe there will be enough doctors in any field for years to come. My mother is working in Northern Ontario and they are so short it is ridiculous. You could open a family practice and before your doors open you will have a full roster. If you want medicine, and that is what you really want - just do it where and whatever way you can. You will always find a way back. If you have the right to a European passport through your parents birth right, do avail of it, Multiple passports help give you more options down the line. Never ever give up if this is what you want. Pay no mind to the nay sayers!

There is am article in The Medical Post this week about how they are easing the requirements for IMG's. I don't believe there will be enough doctors in any field for years to come. My mother is working in Northern Ontario and they are so short it is ridiculous. You could open a family practice and before your doors open you will have a full roster. If you want medicine, and that is what you really want - just do it where and whatever way you can. You will always find a way back. If you have the right to a European passport through your parents birth right, do avail of it, Multiple passports help give you more options down the line. Never ever give up if this is what you want. Pay no mind to the nay sayers!

Well said!

Do you have a link to that article, for reference?

Well said!

Do you have a link to that article, for reference?

The article is in this weeks Medical Post. It says that by the end of the year canada will make it way fairer for IMGs to compete for residencies. Basically they will do an OSCE style exam and then get weed out the ones with poor english/poor clinical skills etc. Canada seems to want to level the playing field a little. I know several RCSI grads working in residencies in Ontario even one in orthopedics. With a EU passport one can do residency in UK and use that as equivalency to move to Canada. But specific requirements need to be met. Also MCEE and LMCC has to be done. BUT residency does not have to be repeated and you can practice whilst you sit the MCEE (one year) and LMCC (several years). The exams are different from USMLE as they are very clinical with no basis sciences needed. My mom did this route some 15 years ago coming from UK med school. Also i have spoken to LMCC examiners and they say a RSCI grad would have no problems passing.

Well said. Having seen the medical system in Ontario, there will always be a need for doctors esp family doctors. Doctors are moving to a capitated/salaried model which meand they are taking on far fewer patients. This is leading to other professionals doing more...nurse practitioners, pharmacists and even PAs. But recent studies have shown that it hasnt helped much...people still want doctors. So it dosent look like in the near future there are going to be an over supply of docs. Also in Canada one can get a licence in any province then it can have equivalency to other provinces....which also makes it easier. Plus there is nothing wrong with doing a residency in a remote community because its a hard few years however you look at it so its not like you'll have too much time for fun. Knowing people helps and certainly doing electives in Canada would help.

Hey, if i were to get acceptances from RCSI and Queen's Belfast, i would choose RCSI. First it is because you are irish and can get irish citizenship. That might make it easier to get an internship in Ireland? (i don't know if this is true for sure) More importantly, more Canadians go to RCSI and so it will be much easier to go through the whole CaRMS process with a group than alone with no guidance.

RCSI will have a substantial alumni base in NA whereas Queen's Belfast won't. This might help you down the road as well.

I got into RCSI as well as UCC, and a school in the Caribbean. The Irish schools are definitely higher on my list, but I'm really struggling between these two. RCSI is much more expensive, however, Cork's GEP program is newer and it's really hard to find information.

Any insight?

Another downside is that I am still waiting to hear back from a Canadian med school - but I'll only hear about the interview in late April, which is past the deadline to deposit a few thousand Euros to secure my place at one of those 2 schools. Not to mention I don't know if or when I will hear from the other Irish med schools I applied to.

At any rate, at least I got in!

I got into RCSI as well as UCC, and a school in the Caribbean. The Irish schools are definitely higher on my list, but I'm really struggling between these two. RCSI is much more expensive, however, Cork's GEP program is newer and it's really hard to find information.

Any insight?

Another downside is that I am still waiting to hear back from a Canadian med school - but I'll only hear about the interview in late April, which is past the deadline to deposit a few thousand Euros to secure my place at one of those 2 schools. Not to mention I don't know if or when I will hear from the other Irish med schools I applied to.

RCSI!!! <3 Lol. From what I've heard it has a MUCH better reputation in Canada. I'm still waiting to hear back from a Canadian school too (U of T, argh...get your act together) but RCSI is a sure thing, so I'm paying the deposit. Even if I end up getting accepted to U of T (which will require some sort of miracle) the lost deposit will be much less than the difference in tuition so that's how I'm justifying it.

Any insight?

Make the deposit. and lose the few thousand Euros if you get in, in Canada. Don't pick the caribbean under any circumstances. I would say RCSI vs Cork, probably RCSI although your degree from Cork will be a NUI degree which means its definitely very good still.

Make the deposit. and lose the few thousand Euros if you get in, in Canada. Don't pick the caribbean under any circumstances. I would say RCSI vs Cork, probably RCSI although your degree from Cork will be a NUI degree which means its definitely very good still.

According to the Atlantic Bridge Program, UCC has the best USMLE prep out of any of the Irish schools (simulated exams and access to a question bank). I've got family in Dublin though and RCSI matches well (although they told me Cork does too), so this is going to be a really tough decision! On top of it all, I'll be getting my Irish passport so I could always stay on to do an intern year if all else fails.

UCD is sending out their acceptances TODAY, and Trinity and Galway are way behind, exepected to be sent out in the first week of April, for anyone else who is waiting on a reply.

According to the Atlantic Bridge Program, UCC has the best USMLE prep out of any of the Irish schools (simulated exams and access to a question bank). I've got family in Dublin though and RCSI matches well (although they told me Cork does too), so this is going to be a really tough decision! On top of it all, I'll be getting my Irish passport so I could always stay on to do an intern year if all else fails.

UCD is sending out their acceptances TODAY, and Trinity and Galway are way behind, exepected to be sent out in the first week of April, for anyone else who is waiting on a reply.

That's great--thanks for the info. I got an acceptance from Cork yesterday and am excited about it--it's good to hear they've got good USMLE prep and match well.

Did you call about UCD? Best wishes to those waiting for news.

Hi,
I got accepted to RCSI 6 year program and am accepting the offer.I have applied on line to book a room in Mercer accommodation.I am not sure about the boarding.I mean is there a mess for people who do not want to cook food for themselves.

Besides this,can you throw some light how the life will be for the freshers of 6 year program and tips to adapt to this place.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I got accepted to RCSI 6 year program and am accepting the offer.I have applied on line to book a room in Mercer accommodation.I am not sure about the boarding.I mean is there a mess for people who do not want to cook food for themselves.

Besides this,can you throw some light how the life will be for the freshers of 6 year program and tips to adapt to this place.

Thanks in advance

Here is a short video filmed by RCSI to show you what Mercer/Dublin is like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-mfcf-gMM

Where can you apply to mercer accommodation? I contacted the person in charge by email and he said that they were not accepting applications yet. Am I missing something here?

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Wow. If that video is accurate, it's a lot nicer now. I stayed there for a few months in 2008; but that was before RCSI took it over and refurbished it. It's actually not that unreasonably priced considering what else is available in the area and given that you need to be in Dublin in person to rent almost anything off-campus.

If you are looking off campus look for listings on daft.ie

What about a meal plan? anything like that while staying there? (for those who dont necessarily want to cook?)