RCSI or NUIG??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dust me selecta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone :)

ive just been offered a place in the 6 yr medical programs in both NUIG and RCSI. im not sure which one to accept. so i was just wondering if someone, anyone really, could kindly tell me the pros and cons of each uni to help me decide. ive been reading threads in this forum and whilst there are heaps about RCSI, there is hardly anything on NUIG. why is that?

and also, my first preferance was initially RCSI because i kno ppl there but after reading lots of bad stuff about the school, im sorta leaning towards galway.

thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

dust me selecta said:

ive just been offered a place in the 6 yr medical programs in both NUIG and RCSI. im not sure which one to accept. so i was just wondering if someone, anyone really, could kindly tell me the pros and cons of each uni to help me decide. ive been reading threads in this forum and whilst there are heaps about RCSI, there is hardly anything on NUIG. why is that?

and also, my first preferance was initially RCSI because i kno ppl there but after reading lots of bad stuff about the school, im sorta leaning towards galway.

thanks a lot.

Hello there,
I think the reason you/we rarely hear about NIUG being discussed is because NUIG accepts very small amount of International students (or maybe only NA student ?) each year.....I was told by Mr. Keenan (AB Prgrm) about his earlier.
If you browse through the AB Prgrm website, you will find that NUIG is not listed there, however, students are still more than welcome to apply.
I guess you must be pretty lucky & /good to actually got into NUIG!! Well done! :)

dust me selecta said:

thanks a lot.

Go to NUIG. The main con is you're not living in Dublin, but I'd consider that a plus. I was never much of a fan of Dublin. Galway itself is a very small city but this works to its advantage as it creates a real student atmosphere; they make up a sizeable portion of the population. There are lots of festivals on throughout the year plus you're less than an hour's drive away from Connemara, the most beautiful part of Ireland. Another con is the west coast is very, very wet. :(

RCSI on the other hand is practically an international medical school for people that aren't good enough to get in anywhere else. You'll be stuck with foreign students and won't really get as much of an experience of Ireland as you would if you attended a real university i.e. NUIG. It's a lot more expensive to attend than Galway (also factor in the cost of living in Dublin) and the education you'll be provided with will be the same, or only marginally better.

Honestly, it's a no-brainer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! My two cents... I'm an exchange student here at NUIG and I have to say I was pretty bummed out in the beginning (for about two seconds) that I wasn't in Dublin. But there's really nothing in Dublin that can't be experienced in London or some other big city.

Galway is the heart of the Irish-speaking part of Ireland and the scenery around here is CRAZY! Wherever you are in Galway, you're like 10 minutes from Galway Bay (the Atlantic) and just for that, I'd come out here. I've been to Dublin a couple of times (including St Paddys Day weekend) but Galway is really wonderful. Plus you have the Aran Islands which is where we'll be going this weekend (if the weather is as gorgeous as it was today).

Congratulations on your acceptances - and good luck with your decision! :luck:

NUIG has a beautiful campus!

congrats, saph