RCSI-Medical University of Bahrain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalpath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone........................just wondering if any one out there had an interviw for the RCSI-MUB programme...............if so did the interview take place in Bahrain or Dublin.........and how did it go
did anyone get any offers for the 5 or 6 year programme..................
they opened it to EU applicants also i believe, but the word is not many applied ..................
does anyone know if applicants form the middle east are favoured...................

thanks all...............

Members don't see this ad.

I think the expansion of Irish medical schools to less-developed areas of the world is a very good idea. They can attract the top most-worthy students from these less-privileged areas and let them obtain a high quality medical education. In order to secure a "good future" for these students they have to make sure that the schools are recognized or licensed as an EU medical school (which I'm not sure is the case). It would be nice to offer graduates the chance to train/practice in either their home country or Ireland, so that they can continue high-quality postgraduate training yet give back to their homeland. One big issue is cost, and governments need to recognize the necessity of supporting such students. Also, I hope the schools aren't doing this just for financial reasons...

200% that its financial reasons... especially for RCSI.... bahrain and dubai... some rich people living around that area...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is, if those in Bahrain and Dubai are interested in practicing generally in their home countries... Bahrain and Dubai are very very wealthy areas, and very expensive areas. And KL is a rather financially secure city too. I wouldn't imagine it would be very cheap to attend! Although any of those places would be way cool in a resorty kind of way!

well ppl, i am a student in the RCSI -MUB .
This is the third year for this uni in bahrain and as i can see we have got lots of students.
we have lots of overseas students for example : Saudi- Qatar- UAE - Kuwait - Ggypt- Syria - Lebanon- Jordan -iraq - Palestine- India - Pakistan - Thailand- China - Germany - Iran - UK - Italy- USA - Canada - Yemen.
A real internatioinal uni :)

mm, answering ur qs (( finalpath )) well, i am not so sure, but as i heard from a friend which is canadian , she did her interview in Canadan, even another british student did her interview in London, so i guess u can do urs in Dublin ..
I hope it answers ur qs, though my reply was a bit late but i guess that the supervisors should tell u about the place .

Anyways, if anyone needed to know more about the place and the uni, i am ready to answer :)

oh and btw, Bahrain is not so expensive, i mean if u needed a place to live near uni it might cost about 500-450 BD which equals 1200-1100 US dollars .. i don't think that will be expensive in comparision to the feez u have to pay to the uni itself ( 30, 000 Dollars ) , right?

Till now we are still in the temporary campus, hopefully in 2008 we are going to move to new one. :)
So, i guess the prices are going to be cheaper :cool:

Hi Guys,
Im thinking of applying to RCSI bahrain as a graduate. Anyone a student here, are there many students from U.K and Ireland here, what it like to live here?!! Please fill me in!!

Hi,

I've applied to RCSI MUB and I just wanted to ask a number of things:

1. Will graduates of RCSI MUB be able to practice in Ireland or do they need to sit the local exam?

2. How satisfied are you with the teaching method and style?

3. What is the average cost of accomadtion per month?

4. Do RCSI MUB students get many oppurtunities in the exchange programmes?

5. How many students get the scholarship?

If anybody will be able to help me out i would highly appreciate it!!

Thanks!:D

Ok...lets see , i will answer as best i can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I've applied to RCSI MUB and I just wanted to ask a number of things:

1. Will graduates of RCSI MUB be able to practice in Ireland or do they need to sit the local exam?

2. How satisfied are you with the teaching method and style?

3. What is the average cost of accomadtion per month?

4. Do RCSI MUB students get many oppurtunities in the exchange programmes?

5. How many students get the scholarship?

If anybody will be able to help me out i would highly appreciate it!!

Thanks!:D

Hi Shabz,
I am currently a Student at RCSI-MUB,
So I will answer your questions as best I can............

1. As for graduates of here being able to practice in Ireland?, ..........the fine details of this are being worked out, if RCSI succeeds in getting RCSI-MUB, recognised under the National University Of Ireland, like Penang Medical College, which is the only college located outside of Ireland at the moment recognised as an NUI college, it sure will make things easier. For example this year 4 graduates of Penang Medical College got internship places in Ireland, and they did not have to sit the Irish version of the PLAB.
If it does become recognised under NUI, it may depend on the passport you hold, as to if you are able to get an internship place in Ireland, as now they are supposes to give first option to EU citizens, regardless of which EU country they graduate from, once they are a citizen of the EU. As for long term practice in Ireland there will be no difficulty form a Medical Degree point, the difficulty may arise with which passport you hold.

2. The teaching here from my experience is really good, and staff also come from Dublin to teach here. The new hi -tech Campus is due to open in
September 2008 and the new King Hamad teaching hospital is due to open at the same time, this hospital will be fully managed and run by RCSI.

3. Cost of accommodation varies quite alot. For example next to the college, there is a complex called Sunlightplaza, where 2 bedroom apartments cost 500BD a month, that’s approx 1000 euros, This includes all bills such as water and electricity. Except for drinking water which has to be purchased in 5 gallon containers. Other apartment blocks cost anything from 500BD to 720BD for 2 bedroom units.

4. Opportunity for exchange programmes? Well the college is currently planning to have a programme where students from here can go to the RCSI campus in Dublin and do a semester there in the pre-clinical and clinical years. This will be availabe to a certain number of students each semester, depending on how many students apply from Dublin to come here and form here to Dublin.Opportunites to apply for summer research in Dublin and here in Bahrain is open to all students, and opportunities to apply for summer electives at Colleges in the US where RCSI has agreements and close working relationships with will be open to students here on the same basis as students in Dublin. At present there is 3 medical years at the college, foundation year, 1st medical year and 2nd medical year , also there is a 1st year nursing class.

As for the scholarship? Each year the college offers 1 full fee scholarship.......
A lot of the Bahraini students here at the college are on government funded scholarships........

Hope this helps Shabaz,

This is the third year for this uni in bahrain and as i can see we have got lots of students.
we have lots of overseas students for example : Saudi- Qatar- UAE - Kuwait - Ggypt- Syria - Lebanon- Jordan -iraq - Palestine- India - Pakistan - Thailand- China - Germany - Iran - UK - Italy- USA - Canada - Yemen.

mm, answering ur qs (( finalpath )) well, i am not so sure, but as i heard from a friend which is canadian , she did her interview in Canadan, even another british student did her interview in London, so i guess u can do urs in Dublin ..
I hope it answers ur qs, though my reply was a bit late but i guess that the supervisors should tell u about the place .

Anyways, if anyone needed to know more about the place and the uni, i am ready to answer :)

Thanks for info! I have my interview in Toronto, Canada in May and I have lots of questions to ask. Well, I asked ABP about recognition and practice back in my home country and they said, it si world wide recognized and i can do my residency in Canada, or US. Also correct me if i am wrong, is'nt the fees some where between 32000 US dollars per year and acommodation is available near the campus. Also the new campus is opening in Munnaqq moving from the capital city of Manama. Please give me more info!
thanks

I think the expansion of Irish medical schools to less-developed areas of the world is a very good idea. They can attract the top most-worthy students from these less-privileged areas and let them obtain a high quality medical education. In order to secure a "good future" for these students they have to make sure that the schools are recognized or licensed as an EU medical school (which I'm not sure is the case). It would be nice to offer graduates the chance to train/practice in either their home country or Ireland, so that they can continue high-quality postgraduate training yet give back to their homeland. One big issue is cost, and governments need to recognize the necessity of supporting such students. Also, I hope the schools aren't doing this just for financial reasons...

I think ur mistaken when u say less developed countries. as a matter of fact Bahrain is one of the most developed cities in the world and 4th in the middle east. Also the students both from the US and Canada are being interviewed for the seats available in Bahrain. As per ABP the school is recognized all over the world and students can come back and practice in their home coutnries.

I'm from Canada and am interviewing in toronto for RCSI-MUB as well.

I am not too familiar with the country. What is the country like? Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of.

As well, my fiance is an American, would he be able to work/live there. Does anyone have any information about how hard it would be obtain a work visa?

Hey Redsand, I am 17, I got in for an interview as well, this country is extremely safe they have capital punishment so no one ever tries to mess up. As for the city its extremely modern I heard it was like the 4th most modern city out of the GCC countries which makes kind like a western city. The facilities there are all brand new including the hospital which is ran by RCSI. In a way you could say its better then RCSI Dublin in Facilties wise only because its new. I dont know alot about work opportunies for your fiance but I am sure there has to be something! hope it helped :) :)

Hey, I live in Qatar.. which is a 20 minute plane ride away! Bahrain is a very calm, relaxed country, albeit very small. It is fairly modern, but its not like a western country like the previous poster stated. Its new campus is astonishing too!

Thanks for your replies! The new campus does look amazing!

Just wondering...do any americans live in Bahrain or Qatar?

Just to clarify, that the new campus is due to open in september 2008, this will be the 1st phase of the development,
also due to open in september 2008 is the new King Hamad hospital, it will be located next to the RCSI-MUB campus,
a detailed plan and pictures of the new campus can be seen on the RCSI-MUB website, www.rcsi-mub.com

As to the question about if there are any Americans living in Bahrain, i would say there is quite alot. The American's have a large naval base in Bahrain, and it is home to the 5th fleet, most naval operations here in the gulf are operated out of here. So there are alot of Americans based at the base.
Other Americans, work in the Financial Services Center here in Bahrain, which is a really big employer.

hope this helps............

I'm from Canada and am interviewing in toronto for RCSI-MUB as well.

I am not too familiar with the country. What is the country like? Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of.

As well, my fiance is an American, would he be able to work/live there. Does anyone have any information about how hard it would be obtain a work visa?

When is ur interview and from which province are you going? Mine is May 19

its on may 20 and I'm coming from BC

Thank you! you as well~!

I think they're all at the marriott..makes it more convenient for them.

Hi!
Could your kindself give me some ideas about this uni and its accreditation in Canada and US. Can we do residency in Canada?

Till now we are still in the temporary campus, hopefully in 2008 we are going to move to new one. :)
So, i guess the prices are going to be cheaper :cool:

Hey!
I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask during the interview, any questions based on campus and awareness about school and country, any ethical questions. Please let me know,
thanks

I was just wondering if anyone is going to RCSI-MUB this september. Any acceptances post-interview in Toronto?

Hi Shabz,
I am currently a Student at RCSI-MUB,
So I will answer your questions as best I can............

1. As for graduates of here being able to practice in Ireland?, ..........the fine details of this are being worked out, if RCSI succeeds in getting RCSI-MUB, recognised under the National University Of Ireland, like Penang Medical College, which is the only college located outside of Ireland at the moment recognised as an NUI college, it sure will make things easier. For example this year 4 graduates of Penang Medical College got internship places in Ireland, and they did not have to sit the Irish version of the PLAB.
If it does become recognised under NUI, it may depend on the passport you hold, as to if you are able to get an internship place in Ireland, as now they are supposes to give first option to EU citizens, regardless of which EU country they graduate from, once they are a citizen of the EU. As for long term practice in Ireland there will be no difficulty form a Medical Degree point, the difficulty may arise with which passport you hold.

2. The teaching here from my experience is really good, and staff also come from Dublin to teach here. The new hi -tech Campus is due to open in
September 2008 and the new King Hamad teaching hospital is due to open at the same time, this hospital will be fully managed and run by RCSI.

3. Cost of accommodation varies quite alot. For example next to the college, there is a complex called Sunlightplaza, where 2 bedroom apartments cost 500BD a month, that’s approx 1000 euros, This includes all bills such as water and electricity. Except for drinking water which has to be purchased in 5 gallon containers. Other apartment blocks cost anything from 500BD to 720BD for 2 bedroom units.

4. Opportunity for exchange programmes? Well the college is currently planning to have a programme where students from here can go to the RCSI campus in Dublin and do a semester there in the pre-clinical and clinical years. This will be availabe to a certain number of students each semester, depending on how many students apply from Dublin to come here and form here to Dublin.Opportunites to apply for summer research in Dublin and here in Bahrain is open to all students, and opportunities to apply for summer electives at Colleges in the US where RCSI has agreements and close working relationships with will be open to students here on the same basis as students in Dublin. At present there is 3 medical years at the college, foundation year, 1st medical year and 2nd medical year , also there is a 1st year nursing class.

As for the scholarship? Each year the college offers 1 full fee scholarship.......
A lot of the Bahraini students here at the college are on government funded scholarships........

Hope this helps Shabaz,

THANK YOU FINAL PATH.. THAT HELPED ALOT!!

Hey!
I was wondering if you could kindly send me or direct me to where i can get the outlines for the courses in the foundation year and junior cycle.. I need two courses that are equivalent to course in US/Canada.

hey, i went to the toronto interview at the marriot too. Has anyone gotten admission?

hey, i went to the toronto interview at the marriot too. Has anyone gotten admission?

Hi, i went to the toronto interviews in May and was recently accepted into RCSI-MUB.

Hey!
I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask during the interview, any questions based on campus and awareness about school and country, any ethical questions. Please let me know,
thanks

LOL.. NOt at all! Sure they won't bs asking u that! The were easy seriously! Well i can't remember wht they were exactly, but there were stuff like: wht are ur favourite subjects in high school?
why u chose medicine? >> the famous one!
how did u use to study in high school?
and stuff like that!

Anyways, new students, welcome to the RCSI-MUB =)
Hope it will meet ur expectations! Best of luck!

Anyways, new students, welcome to the RCSI-MUB =)
Hope it will meet ur expectations! Best of luck!

Hey,
i was wondering how is the work situation for students, are there jobs availale for students???

Hey,
i was wondering how is the work situation for students, are there jobs availale for students???

U are lookin for a job?!
mm, well, i guess that is hard kinda! dunno seriously, give it a try and search, but most probably u won't find one that easily! Anyhow, u wanna work? u serious? Man!! there's no time to breath and u wanna work? Trust me loads of lec are on hold!

U are lookin for a job?!
mm, well, i guess that is hard kinda! dunno seriously, give it a try and search, but most probably u won't find one that easily! Anyhow, u wanna work? u serious? Man!! there's no time to breath and u wanna work? Trust me loads of lec are on hold!

I meant during summer and not during school year, and i know first hand just doing bcem degree, it was hard to work and now definitely not during med school. anywayz thanks for reply.

Hi, i went to the toronto interviews in May and was recently accepted into RCSI-MUB.

I would like to welcome you to to RCSI-MUB also, i hope you are goona enjoy your time here :)
Do you know if there are any other North Americans going to be starting here this year?
Its good that the student profile is getting more diverse.

Hi. I will be coming to Bahrain this year in the 5 year program and I was wondering if anyone knew of any Irish graduates whom have succeeded in getting residencies in Canada? Also, what worries me is that being a non-EU citizen, if it's difficult for us (even though graduating from an Irish school) to get residency/internship in Ireland or UK, aside from US, what other places are left for us to be eligible for for residencies?

Also, what I am confused about is that if RCSI-MUB in not recognized under the Irish university yet, then why is it called RCSI? are we getting an Irish degree? or Bahrain degree? what jurisdiction are we under?

Hey everyone!

My name is Hiba Rashid and I am a student from Doha, Qatar who has just completed her International Baccalaureate Diploama. Well I'll be joining RCSI-MUB this september in the 5 year course. However, I have the exact same concerns as Shells. And also Im looking for an apartment and a room-mate to share it with. I'll be leaving home for the first time ever, and I dont know a soul in Bahrain, so naturally I'm kinda nervous:confused:, lol so I would prefer I find a place very close to the university, at walking-distance possibly?. Could anybody please tell me the names of different apartment buildings near RCSI-MUB, so I can look up their phone numbers and contact them?. Is there any kind of real estate agency I should speak to?, If so could I possibly have their contact information. And lastly, I'm looking for a female room-mate as well, if anyones still looking for a place or room-mate then please do e-mail me! ([email protected]). Any other information or advise that i could receive on this matter, will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

OH and also.....does anyone know whether there will be student accomodation next year on the new campus in muharraq??!, I sure hope they do....:rolleyes:

Hey Hibzy, I am aslo new to Bahrain...ive never heard of the country until I got accepted...anyhow, we should meet up someitme in the first week or so of the orientation and maybe we can both be lost together hahah...ok no seriously, I can send u an email and u can email me ur number and ill call once im there.....im leavin here on Sept. 14 (frm canada)......let me know

Shells

hahaha yeah totally, I'd love to meet u there!:D

Hi,

Curious if any students at RCSI-MUB are non-traditional?

i.e. 'older' :D ... any students in their 30s? 40s? etc...

Thanks very much.

Shaun

Hi,

Curious if any students at RCSI-MUB are non-traditional?

i.e. 'older' :D ... any students in their 30s? 40s? etc...

Thanks very much.

Shaun

Well as for non traditional students at RCSI-MUB there sure is,

as for the 30s and 40s age group there are only a few in that age bracket in medicine and nursing,

in the medicine years there are many students in the age bracket mid to late 20's, who have come here with degrees, masters and some which much experience in research, this year has seen much increase in this type of student,

so yea the college is really open to students in these age brackets, so if you are interested talk with them, and see if the college can meet your needs

interestingly they will be granting the MD degree and not the traditional RCSI M.B., B.Ch., BAO. Was this a play to appease the North American students? As far as I'm aware.. most of the other med schools in the middle east grant the MBBS or MBBCH.

http://www.rcsi-mub.com/default.asp?action=article&ID=178

The Degree being granted is not an MD degree as stated on the website, which does need to be updated,it will be the MB Bch BAO dregree, being granted as RCSI as an institution in its own right ( this in time may become an NUI Degree ) and in addition the the Licentiates of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (LIRCSI) and the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (LIRCPI).

The one thing in the process of being worked out is, will the Degree awarded be a National University Degree (NUI) as is in the case of Penang Medical College. Until this issue is worked out the policy will be to reward the degree form RCSI as an institution in its own right.

I think the expansion of Irish medical schools to less-developed areas of the world is a very good idea.

Oh hon, you're highly mistaken- Bahrain is a far cry from being less-developed.

Oh hon, you're highly mistaken- Bahrain is a far cry from being less-developed.

True words Mayouches...........Bahrain is developing rapidly and so is the RCSI-MUB university........all going well the new Campus is set to open in September 2008,..........which will come a great resource ,as the college now has 4 medical years and 2 nursing years......