RCSI Interview Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well folks, by the end of this week, RCSI will have finished their first round of interviews. I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread where those who had interviewed with RCSI could post the results of their interview and any feedback they have about the process that may help future interviewees.

For my part, I think the interview went well. I was a bit nervous going in but I was very laid back and I soon found a rhythm. It was simply a conversation between myself and two members of the RCSI faculty. It lasted about 30 minutes. There are lots of threads out here that can give you an idea of the type of questions that are asked so there is no excuse for not being prepared. But, that being said, don't simply memorize some answers that you think they want to hear; be yourself. These people are interested in who you are and what kind of doctor you would make not who you can pretend to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Well folks, by the end of this week, RCSI will have finished their first round of interviews. I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread where those who had interviewed with RCSI could post the results of their interview and any feedback they have about the process that may help future interviewees.

For my part, I think the interview went well. I was a bit nervous going in but I was very laid back and I soon found a rhythm. It was simply a conversation between myself and two members of the RCSI faculty. It lasted about 30 minutes. There are lots of threads out here that can give you an idea of the type of questions that are asked so there is no excuse for not being prepared. But, that being said, don't simply memorize some answers that you think they want to hear; be yourself. These people are interested in who you are and what kind of doctor you would make not who you can pretend to be.

Hey Barks, glad to hear your interview went well. I also had my RCSI interview (mine was on monday the 28th of feb). I agree with what you said above. I was interviewed by one member of the RCSI faculty and found he was very nice and encouraging. I thought my interview went well . I was quite nervous to start but it got better after the first few minutes. Hopefully i will be considered for a seat! The best advice i can give to anyone with a future interview is to be yourself and remember that the interviewer(s) are not trying to grill you! The interviewer(s) are simply looking for good "character" and if you would be a good fit for the program and what kind of doctor you would make. I think they also really take into account personal suitability and thats it's not all about just having a high GPA or a really good MCAT. I really felt during the interview that they look at the whole "package" which i think is a very fair approach.

I was interviewed monday for the GEP program...now begins a very nerve racking two weeks waiting and hoping for an acceptance letter!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They had separate interview rooms for the GEP students and the 6 year applicants. One thing I noticed was how professional the GEP students were dressed.

And yes, the interview was relaxed with a few curve balls thrown in.

hey guys..i had an interview a couple of weeks ago and it went really great
i totally agree that the interview was pretty laid back and they were quite nice....i got an email from them yesterday...

conditional offer ABB in A-levels :)

i got an email from them yesterday...

conditional offer ABB in A-levels :)[/QUOTE]

What is a "conditional offer ABB in A-levels"?

Thanks

it means that i can only get into rcsi if get one A and 2 B's in my alevels

Hey Samiullz, where did you have your interview, and when?

I had it on the 22nd of Feb. It was conducted on skype. So basically I was at home.

For those of you who got "conditional offer ABB in A-levels"
where exactly are you from?
i thought acceptances were still to come :S

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview for RSCI for the 6 year program on Feb 26th in New York City, it was totally fine! It's a lot easier if you get there about half an hour early, because you get to sit and chat with Peter Nealon and Finbar O'Keeffe.

They asked when and where I'd lived in Ireland, then after i explained all that they said I was very mature for my age and seemed relaxed [they also asked why i was so relaxed]. Then, the questions were more of are you going to be able to adjust, are you going to be fine without your family here; my answers were all about how I miss living in Ireland.

They also asked about the cost (it's roughly the same if you add up undergrad + med school in the US), how I'd pay for it, what if you change your mind in those 6 years, why Ireland, how the curriculum was different from UCG, what I knew about RCSI and the curriculum, and what I could change about myself from a doctor's point of view. They gave me a scenario of a granny breathless in the hospital, what does she want in a doctor? Caring and a good communicator, which i totally didnt get.

Apparently my interview went really well, because I got an offer from RCSI :) Hope this helps!

Congrats facebookaddict!

What were your stats when you applied for the 6 year programs?? I also applied and I am Canadian and I am really hoping i can get an invitation to RCSI or UCD. Were your acceptances Fedex'd to you??

ginge, we should be getting something from rcsi this week. we had our interviews a bit later than facebookaddict.

Thanks! Well I'm a senior in high school, so i basically had my grades, good SAT/ACT scores, and a lot of extracurricular and volunteer activities on my resume. Yeah the acceptances were Fedexe'd.When I called Atlantic Bridge they said UCD took about 10 other people and RCSI had 20 seats for North Americans; there's still the second cut for those who don't accept their offers, so don't give up hope!

Hey I am in Sydney Australia...I had my interview on the 1st March. I still have not heard anything from them? Anyone else in Australia and got an offer?

Hey,

Did u hear from RCSI? I am in Sydney - Australia, I had my interview on the 1st March, have not heard from them yet.

I was interviewed monday for the GEP program...now begins a very nerve racking two weeks waiting and hoping for an acceptance letter!

Hey I am in Sydney Australia...I had my interview on the 1st March. I still have not heard anything from them? Anyone else in Australia and got an offer?

hi, how long did he tell you to wait for the result?
also what is your stat?

I interviewed on March 2nd and received an acceptance into the GEP on the 14th. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear back from interviews!

Hey Nick... I also interviewed on the 2nd... are you from Montreal?

-- Jake

I am indeed and I believe I remember you as well. You had your interview at the same time as me, correct? Did you get accepted as well?