RCSI Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck279

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm accepting a position at RCSI for September 08, I wanna start looking into housing. I've taken a look at the suggestions, but wanna get another opinion from students currently attending RCSI, or who are going to be new this year. Mercer or Millin Court?? Or Private housing? Any opinions would be appreciated :p

Members don't see this ad.

A few ideas from a Final Year student at the RCSI:-

Many new students live at Mercer/Millin Court (two school-owned buildings attached to the school library). Of those, very few stay for a second year. I haven't lived there, so I won't give a review.

EDIT:
I've just noticed the following message on the official RCSI Accomodation website :
RCSI Accomodation website said:
Note to Graduate Entry Students: Due to your academic dates, Mercer Court is NOT deemed a suitable accommodation option for you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Two very popular options amongst those who want to be close to the city centre are:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:STm98y6C2HQDPM:http://images1.daft.ie/photos/images/shortterm/0/339/DSCF0005%28160x121%29.jpeg
Adelaide Apartments - 2mins walk from the main College campus (and the LUAS tram to the 4-year programme's campus). This usually suits those in the pre-clinical years best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

images

Smithfield
- continues the theme of apartment-living, but is closer to the main teaching hospital Beaumont (a direct bus-ride), while still in the city-centre (so, inconvenient but do-able for pre-clinical students). This is a newly re-developed area in a previously run-down neighbourhood, and boasts good pubs, eateries and convenient shops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A third option (probably reserved for 2nd and subsequent years) is to rent a house in the suburbs with a couple of classmates. This will cost significantly less (usually, the rent on a city-centre apartment, divided by 3 or 4), gives a good authentic taste of suburban Irish life, but often requires a car to get the group around. The best place to find these are on DAFT.

I hope this helps. Congrats on your acceptance and Cead Mile Failte (100,000 Welcomes) to Ireland! :luck:

I was also wondering about housing. What are the best ways to make contact with possible roomates for letting? I've been looking at the different realestate sites (including daft) and have been curious to know if it is a bad idea to consider living outside of Dublin 2 (not really sure which sector but assumed dublin 2 was RCSI's location)? Is the public transportation so convenient that if we were living further out that we could easily commute? Also, do we spend alot of time on campus in the evenings?

dchaos: Would you suggest living off campus (for example, to the graduate entry students who have lived independantly for quite sometime). Is it mostly the highschool entry who live in Mercer/Millin court?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the best ways to make contact with possible roomates for letting?
DAFT is a reasonable method (particularly if you are looking to house-share with non-medics). Alternatively, you can email the Students Union at [email protected] for a list of current students either (A) graduating and vacating their apartment or (B) looking for new house-mates.

I've been looking at the different real estate sites (including daft) and have been curious to know if it is a bad idea to consider living outside of Dublin 2 (not really sure which sector but assumed dublin 2 was RCSI's location)? Is the public transportation so convenient that if we were living further out that we could easily commute?
The city centre (post-codes 1 to 4, approx) are convenient if you plan on walking to-and-from school. Expect to pay a premium in rents. Public transport (mostly buses) is fine from further afield, but traffic can be bad in the rush-hour, so you have to plan your journey times accordingly.

Also, do we spend alot of time on campus in the evenings?
No, unless that is you prefer to study there rather than at home. Formal classes are almost always finished before 5pm.

dchaos: Would you suggest living off campus (for example, to the graduate entry students who have lived independantly for quite sometime). Is it mostly the highschool entry who live in Mercer/Millin court?

I would definitely suggest living off campus to any GEP students - it is mostly a very young crowd of "first time away from home" Malaysian students who live at Mercer.

You have two real options for your first year - live in the city (e.g. Adelaide Apartments above) and commute via LUAS daily to the GEP campus (RCSI Reservoir House @ Sandyford, a 22-minute journey), or do the reverse -- apartments and houses to rent are less expensive out in Sandyford, you are within walking distance of Dundrum (the largest mall in Europe), and parking is not an issue if you buy a car. I am perhaps biased towards this option.

hey dchaos, thanks for all the feedback so quickly! I'm entering the 6 year program from high school in september and up until now was considering living in mercer/millin court because of the close proximity, but honestly I'm not interested in being surrounded by students who are home sick or have problems living independently, as they will probably be another distraction. On the other hand, Adelaide Apartments look really nice and modern, but I'm sure you paying a huge premium for city center housing... Any suggestions?

I'm living in Mercer Court this year and to be quite honest there aren't problems with home-sick malaysians or any of the other stuff bouncing around here. I'd say maybe 1/6-7 of the people living here right now are malaysian while the rest are mainly north americans, austrailians, and westernized arabs. I'd recommend living in mercer or millin first year at least to get to know a lot of people fairly well. Unless you get a single apartment in adelaide, you'll need to find a roommate anyways and down the road when you need to move closer to the hospital you may find yourself without any roommates. The people currently living in mercer/millin now are mostly high schoolers in the 6 year program. What dchaos is advising to do (live in sandyford), I would strongly recommend against if you are a high schooler going into first year at the 6 year program. If you do want to not live in mercer/millin, at least find a place in Dublin 2 or close by in the fringes around D2.

Just my 2 cents.

TBH, my impression of Millin was "cramped, shared kitchen, dorm-like Travellodge", but I accept things may have improved since my first year visiting friends there. I also accept it may be different to live there.

What dchaos is advising to do (live in sandyford), I would strongly recommend against if you are a high schooler going into first year at the 6 year program.

I agree. I did not suggest Sandyford to anyone other than the GEP (4yr) students, as this class is the only one it would suit (location-wise) in the first year.

What did you personally do for your first year at RCSI??

Oh, wow, I never considered people would have different housing suggestions for 6 year vs. GEP students.

Where are the GEP classes held then? And how would you make sure to go and find other GEP students to live near?

Oh my apologies, I did not realize this. Living in Sandyford would make sense for first year GEP students since some of their classes would be held in that area.

I, too, am looking around for housing in Dublin. I was accepted into the september '08 GEP and planned on living on Mercer Court. However, I found out that you cannot move into Mercer until the 27th, while classes start on the 15th.

Any other entering students in my shoes: please PM me and perhaps we can exchange e-mails and work this thing out together!

I lived in Millin first year and all i wanted was for the year to be over! you have to share a little kitchenette with your hall mates (6ppl or so) and do the cooking in the basement kitchen. Some dorky little kids would steal food from our hall refrigerator which was obviously not cool.

I was already out on my own for several years before moving into millin though, so it really didn't suit me. All my friends in Mercer though had a great time (for the most part) and I would recommend this much more that millin if you're looking to live in the mercer complex. My confusion and the reason i ended up in Millin is because I thought a "double" room in Mercer meant you were sharing a room with someone, ala american dorms. Not the case. it's just a double bed in your own room. There are some rooms that have two singles, but I don't know the deal with them or how they're described.

so there you go for what it's worth just by 2 cents!

good luck

I, too, am looking around for housing in Dublin. I was accepted into the september '08 GEP and planned on living on Mercer Court. However, I found out that you cannot move into Mercer until the 27th, while classes start on the 15th.

Any other entering students in my shoes: please PM me and perhaps we can exchange e-mails and work this thing out together!

Hey i was accepted to, i am also looking for housing i was trying to decided if i should stay on res or go and get an apartment.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey i was accepted too, i am also looking for housing i was trying to decided if i should stay on res or go and get an apartment.

Honestly for 6 year students Millin is your best bet. Easily the best way to meet new ppl and make friends. Adeleide is good if you are rooming with someone (i am staying there next year with a friend)

i too am headed to rcsi come september for the gep. in my interview when i asked about accommodation i was told that most students in the gep reside at the 65-67 aungier st. residence? the information out there regarding this residence is quite limited so any tips would be very much appreciated. thanks.

i too am headed to rcsi come september for the gep. in my interview when i asked about accommodation i was told that most students in the gep reside at the 65-67 aungier st. residence? the information out there regarding this residence is quite limited so any tips would be very much appreciated. thanks.

I haven't heard of this one, but let me ask my friends in the GEP and reply back here. :)

You have two real options for your first year - live in the city (e.g. Adelaide Apartments above) and commute via LUAS daily to the GEP campus (RCSI Reservoir House @ Sandyford, a 22-minute journey), or do the reverse -- apartments and houses to rent are less expensive out in Sandyford, you are within walking distance of Dundrum (the largest mall in Europe), and parking is not an issue if you buy a car. I am perhaps biased towards this option.

In terms of a car, how useful and practical is it to have one? Did many students have one?
And does that mean it's feasible to drive (and find parking) to Stephen's Green, or would it be smart to rely on LUAS?

In terms of a car, how useful and practical is it to have one? Did many students have one?
And does that mean it's feasible to drive (and find parking) to Stephen's Green, or would it be smart to rely on LUAS?

As has been discussed in this and other threads, where you decide to "pitch your tent" depends to an extent on wheter you are a 6-year or GEP student, as 1st year classes take place on different campuses for each.

A car is undoubtably useful in terms of sight-seeing, and for travelling to-and-from hospitals all over the country in your clinical years. Among Irish, US and Canadian students, it isn't uncommon for class-mates to car-pool. Remember, though, that cars are expensive to tax and insure in Ireland.

Saying all that, parking in-and-around St. Stephen's Green is TERRIBLE, UNRELIABLE and EXPENSIVE! I can't emphasise that enough. There is a scheme run by the Students Union to offer discounted parking in the local multi-storey carpark, but these tickets are extremely limited and rationed on a "needs basis".

I am a fan of the LUAS - it can be cramped at 0830am, but it is reliable and you know (a) when the next one is coming (2-5mins) and (b) that it will take max 22mins from Sandyford (one end of the line) to RCSI (the other end). Also, RCSI has given free LUAS passes to the 1st year GEP students for the last 2 years to facilitate them travelling in from their campus to the Gross Anatomy Labs in St. Stephen's Green.

hey,
if anyone is looking to live in adelaide, please PM me asap-- i'm looking for a roomate

hey,
if anyone is looking to live in adelaide, please PM me asap-- i'm looking for a roomate

I am entering the GEP in September as well. Is there any news on housing members of the class together? Thanks!

Hi, I am from Newfoundland Canada, and I have been accepted for the 6 year program at RCSI.

However, I am worried as to whether I will enjoy living on campus (Millin/Mercer) as I have already been living away from home for 3 years. (2 years at University in OH)

Millin/MercerApt?
A.) Which one is better overall? B.) Will it be ALL people just out of high school? C.) What are the apartments like? D.) So a "double room" is just a bigger room? E.) As a junior* going into the 6 year program do you think I would enjoy an Adelaide apartment more if I can get one?
F.) Is there another young girl who would be interested in renting an Adelaide apartment with me? They look beautiful. :love:
G.) Does anyone know the costs? (I tried calling and looking at the website but it didn't help.)

Anything you can tell me would be great :)

This forum has already been very helpfull!

Thanks.

If you're looking to find classmates to share housing check out the RCSI groups on facebook (we've set up a couple for incoming GEPs and 5/6-years) and the housing board on the student services page of the college.

Hi I am looking for a girl to share a 2 bedroom apartment in a building 2 min walk from RCSI. It is a new Duplex furnished apartment with 2 double bedroom and 2 baths.
Write to me if you are interested.

Hi,

I've just been admitted into the GEP Program at RCSI, and I am looking into housing. I know that the GEP program is based mainly in Sandyford, so I was wondering what the best and/or the cheapest form of housing is for GEP students? I'm from New York, so the whole process is really daunting. I would really appreciate anyone's help!

Thank you!

I'm just finishing up my first year of the GEP program and all classes except anatomy practicals are out in Sandyford but living near the St. Stephen's Green campus is quite convenient as well. Most people in my year actually lived in the city centre and took the Luas to the Sandyford campus (it stops right outside the door). Rents in Sandyford are probably a bit cheaper and the apartments for the most part seem pretty new but it's the kind of area that shuts down at 5 o'clock. The Luas takes about 20 minutes from St. Stephen's Green to Stillorgan (where the Sandyford campus building is-Reservoir House). It's really up to your own preference where you live as both are reasonably convenient.

Most GEP make their own living arrangements. The reason that Mercer and Millin don't work is that our school year is two months longer than the 6 year program. This overlaps with these buildings switching to a youth hostel for the summer. Plus they are way more expensive than the norm for rent in Dublin.

Finding housing is a bit of pain, mostly because the market moves quickly here and most landlords will want occupancy within a week or two of signing a contract. You just can't look for places months in advance.

The best resources for finding housing are:
www.daft.ie - the local rentals/ estate listings

and to find housemates:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21301040468 - the Canadian Irish Medical Students Facebook group

http://www.rcsi.ie/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi - RCSI's accomodation Notice Board

I will be in the RCSI 5 yr program. Can you give me advice about the best place to stay? Mercer vs. apartment? I have not lived at home for ahile and I am 21. If I stayed at adelaide or another apt, would I have trouble meeting other students? I've read that staying at Mercer the first year is best for that. I would like to connect with other 5 yr students to see what they are thinking. I would appreciate feedback from current students. Thanks

Hey alexc..I just had to join in on this conversation! Hi everyone else. I was wondering the same thing about not meeting friends or being alienated because looking for other kinds of accomadation! Am looking for cheap accomadations too!

PS. I had my interview waiting on a reply from RCSI! But I have a good vibes that I getting through!

TOO OPTIMISTIC? MAYBE.

Hi Trini2dbone: When was your interview?
How old are you? Are you applying to the 5 yr?

My interview was Sunday in Hyatt Trinidad. I am 19 years. Female and yep 5 year.

Sunday 22nd March,2009. They asked simple questions about who I ive with. What I want to research. To describe the Health care and yet the other basics. (How I am paying my fees)! lol
But I was nervous every step of the process! I cried too!

I have been looking seriously at Adelaide Square and doing the math. Millin House, for what looks like fairly basic accomodation, works out to about 10300 euros per year. An Adelaide Square apt advertised on DAFT (for 12 months) is 1700 per month split between two people is 10200 and you get access to a gym and have better standard of accomodation. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what they are paying for heat and electricty in a 2 bed at Adelaide Square or similar apt? Don't need a land line as I presume I will have a cell. How much does cable run or is it included in rent usually? Any other exyras to consider in an apt like Adelaide Square?

Hi!
I have also been looking at adelaide square, lets talk more about it, it looks nice and is close to campus (I think) lets figure out cost.

Google maps shows the location of Adelaide nicely. It is a stone's throw farther than Mercer. Perhaps parents' friends can rent it by the week in the summer! I can think of people who talk of an Irish holiday. It would help defray summer cost.

could it not be sublet by summer students?

Hi all. I am finishing my first GEP year now and have created a facebook group for those of you interested in meeting and discussing Ireland/RCSI next year.

'The group is RCSI incoming GEP class of 2013'

search for RCSI incoming and it should come up

If you're not GEP, don't worry! all are welcome!

Just rented an apt in Adelaide square to start this year ( Foundation year) Have noticed they are lowering rents a bit and it is more competitive than price of Mercer Court and you sure are getting a whole lot more comfort. Price actually cheaper if you manage to sublet to foreign friends for holidays in the summer.

Hi, I'm going to be working at Beaumont Hospital for April and am looking for an apartment or a room to rent that is near the hospital or on a bus line. Any advice would be great!
Thanks!!!