RCSI Foundation Year Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegetto_456

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending RCSI this fall for the 6 year program and I was wondering about the nature of the foundation year curriculum. What are the courses that students take and what textbooks do they use? Is the curriculum the same for all the schools with the 6 year program (RCSI vs UCD) ? It would be nice to know some of the courses beforehand so I can buy the textbooks or what not.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The UCD site outlines the first year as basically physics, chem, etc. Not sure if that's the same for RCSI, but I'd imagine it's similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the information everyone. How are you guys enjoying your summer in Ireland? Is it all work and no play?

Dunno. I'm applying this year. My sister lived there for a while--she said it was gorgeous. She still talks about wanting to live there permanently.

Billy Shears said:
Dunno. I'm applying this year. My sister lived there for a while--she said it was gorgeous. She still talks about wanting to live there permanently.

Thats good to hear. This will be my first time living away from my parents so I was a bit worried about adjusting to Ireland. Who knows I might get permanently attached to Ireland and never want to come back to Canada :cool: :D

BTW does anyone know the textbooks that are used in the foundation year at RCSI? :confused:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, but for the US. Are you applying to both UCD and RCSI or just the one?

Billy Shears said:
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, but for the US. Are you applying to both UCD and RCSI or just the one?

I applied to both UCD and RCSI. I was accepted into RCSI and was waitlisted at UCD. Looks I will be going to RCSI but I am hoping that I might get into UCD before I pay my tuition for RCSI. :luck:

We don't 'use' textbooks in so much as there isn't assigned reading from any particular textbooks. There's a list of about 10-20 recommended books for each subject but they are for reference and to use to filll in any blanks in the lecture notes. You can buy whatever book you like best and use it. Some people don't buy any books just borrow from the library, and other people just use the notes. It really depends on how you like learning and how good the notes are in the begining

vegetto_456 said:
I applied to both UCD and RCSI. I was accepted into RCSI and was waitlisted at UCD. Looks I will be going to RCSI but I am hoping that I might get into UCD before I pay my tuition for RCSI. :luck:

Oh, so you'll be starting this fall. Then I can borrow your notes next year. :D