Rc who took it this month!! I believe there is a mistake in the exam

optmania

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have just taken my OAT on the 23rd of Dec. and I got a 200 on the RC section but above 300 in all my other sections. Reading was suppose to bring up my score. A 200??? That basically means I did not even answer the section. Even the schools are as suprised as me. They told me they have never seen a 200 in a section. I also know people that have taken the exam and scored about as low as me in RC. I believe there is something wrong with my exam. Even prometric wrote up a report for me. They are now re grading my exam. Has anyone had my same experience.? because I was SHOCKED. I had taken my DATS and scored a a 19 (which is above average) in RC. Has anyone taken the OATS in the past couple of weeks and had the same problem in the RC???? You should also have your exam re graded..

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I have just taken my OAT on the 23rd of Dec. and I got a 200 on the RC section but above 300 in all my other sections. Reading was suppose to bring up my score. A 200??? That basically means I did not even answer the section. Even the schools are as suprised as me. They told me they have never seen a 200 in a section. I also know people that have taken the exam and scored about as low as me in RC. I believe there is something wrong with my exam. Even prometric wrote up a report for me. They are now re grading my exam. Has anyone had my same experience.? because I was SHOCKED. I had taken my DATS and scored a a 19 (which is above average) in RC. Has anyone taken the OATS in the past couple of weeks and had the same problem in the RC???? You should also have your exam re graded..
I took the OAT ON 24 OF Dec, and got 280 , all the other section were above 300, what reading pasages were in your exam, my passeges were about prions, the second about Lazer, and the last one was about lizards and crocodiles.

I took it yesterday and got a 260. One passage was about american alligator and DPR's and the other one was about building bridges and how it all started in ancient history. The other one was about addiction to heroin and cocaine in mices (receptors and inhibitors)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it yesterday and got a 260. One passage was about american alligator and DPR's and the other one was about building bridges and how it all started in ancient history. The other one was about addiction to heroin and cocaine in mices (receptors and inhibitors)

Those are the exact passages I had.

lol The alligator one took up a lot of my time, then the heroin and cocaine one was pretty easy, and the last one was extremely boring. I think my poor management of time was what killed me. I really hope PCO and NOVA overlook my poor RC score =( with a 3.05 gpa and AA: 320 TS: 350 and shadowing experience with optometrist will be good enough?

Hi all :) - I am wondering why many people seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension? I'm taking the test in 2 weeks and am thinking I can do something in advance? Is it mainly the time factor? the nerves? If there are any tips whatsover, please let me know! Thanks :D

Had the same passages in September.

lol The alligator one took up a lot of my time, then the heroin and cocaine one was pretty easy, and the last one was extremely boring. I think my poor management of time was what killed me. I really hope PCO and NOVA overlook my poor RC score =( with a 3.05 gpa and AA: 320 TS: 350 and shadowing experience with optometrist will be good enough?

That's funny. I thought the alligator one was really easy, the heroin and cocaine passage was more difficult. If you saw me taking the exam, you would have seen me banging my head against the screen while reading the bridge passage. It was so boring I was entertaining the idea of laying on the floor to take a nap.

Hi all :) - I am wondering why many people seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension? I'm taking the test in 2 weeks and am thinking I can do something in advance? Is it mainly the time factor? the nerves? If there are any tips whatsover, please let me know! Thanks :D

I took the OAT in December and scored a 360 on the RC. I think the most important thing is reading actively so you understand what you're reading. Compared to the Kaplan RC samples I found the passages on the OAT to be more engaging so it made the reading easier. Passages from Kaplan were just convoluted...In any case, good luck!

The DPR wasn't too bad but took me 30 minutes to do! I didn't even read the drug one completely; I thought it was the hardest. I totally loved the bridge one. I was excited reading it. I saw a documentary on platoon bridges by the army corp of engineers two years ago. Cmon, it's so interesting how these people designed makeshift bridges in such short time to help transport squadrons and increase war mobility. And it's gotta structurally secured, and it needs to be movable as to let the waterways be accessible by watercraft.

And if it's a nice cheap bridge, you can use in for civil projects.

Also the battle of chi bi in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms utilized the same concept. Zhuge Liang summoned the wind!! Down with Wei!!!! *plays electric guitar to the game over music of dynasty warriors 3*.

Besides... it was easy.

I took the OAT ON 24 OF Dec, and got 280 , all the other section were above 300, what reading pasages were in your exam, my passeges were about prions, the second about Lazer, and the last one was about lizards and crocodiles.

Mine was about the prions, lazer, and lizards. They are regrading my exam. I think you guys should too. Cause I know I did not score a 200 its like getting nothing right. If I would have guessed straight down I would have got a 210 at least. So if you feel the same I would just call them also and have them re grade it.

Thanks bobbio! Relief to hear that at least they'll be interesting to read (hopefully). I think the biggest problem I'll have is not running out of time :rolleyes:

I think the biggest problem I'll have is not running out of time :rolleyes:

OMG this is the type of mistake you can't afford to make in reading comprehension! Unless you want to run out of time, I think you mean the biggest problem you'll have is running out of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel for ya, optm. i would definitely freak out with that rc score. i am curious to know what happened. keep us updated. i took mine within the past 3 weeks. the rc was the worst i've ever done, but with all my scores >320 i don't want a re-grade or take the OAT again.

i feel for ya, optm. i would definitely freak out with that rc score. i am curious to know what happened. keep us updated. i took mine within the past 3 weeks. the rc was the worst i've ever done, but with all my scores >320 i don't want a re-grade or take the OAT again.
what is your score on rc

I took OAT on the 22nd of December and I got TS360 AA 330 and RC 220.
I was also very shocked about my reading score.
How did you request for re grading?

I took OAT on the 22nd of December and I got TS360 AA 330 and RC 220.
I was also very shocked about my reading score.
How did you request for re grading?
What topics of passeges did your RC exam cover?

How do u get it rescored? I took mine Nov. 1st and my RC was 240. I had the crocs and bridges. I agree with the others that I think something was wrong. I know I didn't do well, but I totally feel I didn't do THAT bad.

What topics of passeges did your RC exam cover?
I had same passages as thanotoriousfob had.
Alligator, cocaine and bridge one.
Do you guys think there might be some mistakes with those certain
passages of RC?

I had same passages as thanotoriousfob had.
Alligator, cocaine and bridge one.
Do you guys think there might be some mistakes with those certain
passages of RC?

What do you mean by mistakes? You got a 320 which isn't bad.

Go on the Opted.org and get the number and call them its like registering and then ask them to regrade they will then they will tell you to put it in writing either by fax or by mail. I spoke to a guy name Nick. It takes for to six weeks for grading. Good luck guys I hope all this is resolved!!
What do you mean by mistakes? You got a 320 which isn't bad.

How do u get it rescored? I took mine Nov. 1st and my RC was 240. I had the crocs and bridges. I agree with the others that I think something was wrong. I know I didn't do well, but I totally feel I didn't do THAT bad.
I got the same passages on First trial of OAT and I got 240.

I had the same passages as optmania, wrote OAT on dec 7th, and got a 370 on RC...

I got the same passages at Optmania and scored 310 so I think there is something wrong. I will look into regrading it. The score was very surprising to me. Never scored anything like that in the practice.

That is weird, they really don't change the OAT much..unless they have just two versions. I took the OAT in Dec 2007 and scored a 260 RC and I had those dreadful passages about the pontoons, rat experimenting, and alligators or something. It was by far the lowest scoring of all my sections. Hmm....could be a gliche in the matrix.

Hmmm....

Shouldn't people NOT be talking about the subjects of RC passages? Even if you are only discussing topics?

Just sayin'! :rolleyes:

Hmmm....

Shouldn't people NOT be talking about the subjects of RC passages? Even if you are only discussing topics?

Just sayin'! :rolleyes:

I don't think discussing the types of passages covered on the exam breaches any type ethical code. Prep courses discuss old passages, and knowing the topic doesn't really help future test takers answer the questions. Even if the passages are the same, there is a large bank of questions used for the exams.

To the original poster... keep us updated on this. Because even with random guessing, you would think your score would be higher than a 200. If it does end up being a mistake, I would be livid if I were you.

Last edited:
I took the OAT last week and scored 330 on Reading Comp. I had the same passages (alligator, mice and substance abuse, bridges). This is not my first time taking the OAT though and I scored a 300 last time I took it. 2 out of the 3 passages were the same though.. so I think that helped because I kind of remembered where certain parts of the passages were already located. I'm def. not asking for a re-grade bc I'm satisfied with my reading comp. score but for those of you who are, good luck!!

Did you get any response back from them yet?

Like I said before, I got 240 my first time on RC so i was shocked and felt something was wrong. I was considering getting it rescored, but since I was gonna take it again I didn't.

Today I finally retook it and my RC went from 240 (2.6 percentile) to 350 (63.7 percentile). The reason for my posting this is because I still stand behind my first hunch that something is a bit fishy with the RC section.

It could be partially due to the fact that I prepared a bit more this time around and/or that one of the passages my second time was a repeat, but I think some other strange things are going on with the mysterious low scores people have been getting.

Hopefully, things turn out for the better for those who were getting killed by RC.

I thought I did really poorly on the RC section (thought I should have gotten ~250) but ended up getting a good score.

I will not be asking for a regrade!

I thought I did really poorly on the RC section (thought I should have gotten ~250) but ended up getting a good score.

I will not be asking for a regrade!

I bet that makes all of them feel better :laugh:

About the percentiles... I agree that they do seem off considering RC seems to be the downfall for many, many people. Obviously there are lots of quick readers out there to compensate.

so did you get it regraded?

Did you get it regraded?

Anyone with a low score get it regraded? Is it worth to get it regrade or just retake the test?

Did you get it regraded?

Anyone with a low score get it regraded? Is it worth to get it regrade or just retake the test?

When I asked to regrade my rc score first time, they said it's free and will take 3-5 business days then few days later they called me and said suddenly their policy about regrade has been changed. they charged me $50 and i had to submit some form downloaded from their web. And it will even take 6-8 weeks:mad: I am still waiting their response since I submitted.

6-8 weeks? That's BS considering what is on the line. The 50 dollar fee I agree with, and I know it must take some time to investigate the matter.

But asking you to wait 2 months could mean schools pass over your application. Good luck Joon, hope it all works out for you.

I'd like to know did u regrade your exam? ?? what's your new score?

I have taken the OAT twice and reading section has been my biggest downfall.
I spoke to a few schools and they encourage me to take it a 3rd due to my verbal score :(

Originally I had the boring passage with the bridges... I got a 220; I was shocked and did not know I could get it re-score.
In May, I took the test and I end up with a 270 in verbal... I was still shocked... it is horrible becuz the verbal section seems easy but I must be getting the wrong answers... i just don't get it.

I would reschedule ASAP to take the test

PCO told me their is no shame in taking the test a 3rd time... so a 2nd time won't be the end of the world... good luck!

Has anyone gotten their exam regraded to find there was actually something wrong with it? I believe there are problems also as the RC scores I received were nothing like I expected based on my practice exams. Please let me/us know if there was something done for you regarding bogus exam scores. Thanks.

i got a 280 in reading comp, i dont think there was a grading error, but i was wondering what you guys, with the lower scores, did.

i know 280 is horrible! and all my other scores were >320, i even got a 400 in ochem! so should i retake or see what my chances are?