RC / QR speed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have 3 weeks until my DAT

For RC: reading all the way through takes too long for me but pure S&D leaves me a little lost when answering questions. Any other strategies?

QR: Takes a long time to finish. Some applied word problems are tricky but planning to keep re-doing Math Destroyer & Bootcamp QR to improve on those. I didn't feel like Chads QR helped much.. seems like math is just practice.

currently struggling with finishing both the RC & QR sections on time [get me 15s on Bootcamp exams :/] - any tips to improve my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly the only real way to improve speed (which seems to be your issue in both sections) is continued practice, every day. There's no shortcut around it IMO, RC strategies that don't involve reading the entire passage will almost always put you at a disadvantage in the reading section because they make tone/inference questions a lot more challenging.

How often are you practicing these sections on a daily basis?

Honestly the only real way to improve speed (which seems to be your issue in both sections) is continued practice, every day. There's no shortcut around it IMO, RC strategies that don't involve reading the entire passage will almost always put you at a disadvantage in the reading section because they make tone/inference questions a lot more challenging.

How often are you practicing these sections on a daily basis?

definitely feel I need to put in more consistent practice - sometimes I miss QR/RC days because of focus on the sciences.

definitely feel I need to put in more consistent practice - sometimes I miss QR/RC days because of focus on the sciences.

Try to do QR/RC every morning if you can, even if it's only for 20-30 minutes per subject. Over time the practice definitely helps and you'll see improvements (you have 3 weeks, so there's a decent amount of time to improve). I would do QR/RC/PAT practice every morning before starting the sciences and I think it was very beneficial in keeping me sharp for those sections.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to do QR/RC every morning if you can, even if it's only for 20-30 minutes per subject. Over time the practice definitely helps and you'll see improvements (you have 3 weeks, so there's a decent amount of time to improve). I would do QR/RC/PAT practice every morning before starting the sciences and I think it was very beneficial in keeping me sharp for those sections.

This is good advice.. I hold those three until night due to sciences and sometimes I don't do one or get really low scores on RC

Try using the Acceleread app to increase your reading speed. It helps me tremendously in RC portion. I had to finish the whole essay to understand and answer questions (all other method did not work for me)
As math, trying exposing yourself with lots of variety questions (BC is great, I did only 3 QR tests before the real test and I encountered some similar problems from BC, Destroyers wasnt so useful for me, i stopped after first 40 questions) cuz I feel they literally can ask you anything. in the test, skipping the hard question (choose any answer and mark it) if you think it will take you long in the test, and move on to the next one.
Good luck

I've been using BC for qr I will continue to use it and push myself thank you!! Less than 3 weeks!!

idk if this is helpful or not, but I wish I had practiced marking questions I wasn't sure how to proceed with or knew would take me a long time to work through and quickly moving on. I know I missed a couple easy questions at the end b/c I ran out of time working on harder questions.
I found Chad's explanations on how to do "now and later" problems (you know, if Emily is half of June's age now, but in five years she will be only three years younger... etc) and "work/time" problems saved me a lot of time. Yes, you can work through those type algebraically, but he shows some quicker ways to solve them.

Try using the Acceleread app to increase your reading speed. It helps me tremendously in RC portion. I had to finish the whole essay to understand and answer questions (all other method did not work for me)
As math, trying exposing yourself with lots of variety questions (BC is great, I did only 3 QR tests before the real test and I encountered some similar problems from BC, Destroyers wasnt so useful for me, i stopped after first 40 questions) cuz I feel they literally can ask you anything. in the test, skipping the hard question (choose any answer and mark it) if you think it will take you long in the test, and move on to the next one.
Good luck
What did you score in RC and QR?

What did you score in RC and QR?

Hi! I scored 18 on RC, not the best to other pp, but this score would truly make or break my test (I constantly scored lower than 15 on practice RC tests before i found Acceleread app, & also English isn't my native language). And I got 21 on QR.