[[RC practice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esjung

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear future and current dentists,

I am writing this thread to ask for help...! I need to practice RC. I had done all DAT resources (DAT Bootcamp, Crack the DAT, datqvualt, etc.), but I need MORE and MORE something that I can practice (read and solve problems) online. I am reading articles, but I need to practice my strategies. Should buy and try GRE or MCAT reading section? Do you know any online source that is similar to DAT RC and will prepare me for RC section?

please, HELP.

Members don't see this ad.

I am writing this thread to ask for help...! I need to practice RC. I had done all DAT resources (DAT Bootcamp, Crack the DAT, datqvualt, etc.), but I need MORE and MORE something that I can practice (read and solve problems) online. I am reading articles, but I need to practice my strategies. Should buy and try GRE or MCAT reading section? Do you know any online source that is similar to DAT RC and will prepare me for RC section?

please, HELP.

I don't understand why no one has responded to your post....

If you need something where you can actually see if you've understood the passage correctly, it wouldn't hurt to buy the reading/English portion of the GRE or MCAT, although IMO those will be much more challenging than the DAT RC.

If you need something a little easier to get a grip on some solid foundation (i.e. main idea, author's point of view, T/F, diction, etc.) I'd most strongly recommend SAT/ACT prep books and work on the critical reading sections there, since the difficulty is actually very similar to what's on the DAT (although the DAT will have more science/psychology/anthro topics).

I'd also read the news, CONSTANTLY. Be aware of what's out there, for example, do you know what's going on in Turkey right now?

Also, Scientific American has some good articles that are easy to read and not too sciencey for the mainstream audience. Read those, and come up with your own questions and try to predict what the DAT may ask you if the article was actually on your exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand why no one has responded to your post....

If you need something where you can actually see if you've understood the passage correctly, it wouldn't hurt to buy the reading/English portion of the GRE or MCAT, although IMO those will be much more challenging than the DAT RC.

If you need something a little easier to get a grip on some solid foundation (i.e. main idea, author's point of view, T/F, diction, etc.) I'd most strongly recommend SAT/ACT prep books and work on the critical reading sections there, since the difficulty is actually very similar to what's on the DAT (although the DAT will have more science/psychology/anthro topics).

I'd also read the news, CONSTANTLY. Be aware of what's out there, for example, do you know what's going on in Turkey right now?

Also, Scientific American has some good articles that are easy to read and not too sciencey for the mainstream audience. Read those, and come up with your own questions and try to predict what the DAT may ask you if the article was actually on your exam.
Sorry but how would knowing what is going on in worldly matters help you on the DAT, do they have passages correlating to that source of matter. Just wondering have yet to take my dat, but avid reader of can etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry but how would knowing what is going on in worldly matters help you on the DAT, do they have passages correlating to that source of matter. Just wondering have yet to take my dat, but avid reader of can etc.
lol, it's always good to know what's going on in the world. Not related to DAT, but if you were to get an interview, they want to know that you understand a little something about the real world. Always good to read established text... just my observation but seems like English is not your first language?

lol, it's always good to know what's going on in the world. Not related to DAT, but if you were to get an interview, they want to know that you understand a little something about the real world. Always good to read established text... just my observation but seems like English is not your first language?
Make sure to read the catcher in the rye before any interview

Reactions: 1 user

please, HELP.

I honestly wouldn't freak out unless you really don't understand anything you read from the practice materials. I remember thinking I was going to fail this section hard core because I didn't do so well with Kaplan and achiever, but my passages on the DAT were a lot easier (shorter too). I used the search and destroy, which worked for me. They have that highlighting thing now, which helped me a lot as well! Don't panic and pick a method that works for you.

It's too easy
Well BC is crazy hard too! And the real DAT isn't that hard at all.
I recommend doing both BC and Genius if you need additional practice. my highest BC was 18 and and my highest Genius was 20 and I got 21 on the real DAT. I believe I wouldn't have gotten that 21 if I didn't do all 10 practice exams from Genius and BC.

I recommend doing both BC and Genius if you need additional practice. my highest BC was 18 and and my highest Genius was 20 and I got 21 on the real DAT. I believe I wouldn't have gotten that 21 if I didn't do all 10 practice exams from Genius and BC.
What was your method?

BC is crazy hard. I would love for my DAT to be as easy as Genius

Hey, I took the DAT 7/20/2016, I scored 21 in RC. There is a highlight feature on the real DAT. USE IT! It helped me out so much. If you come across a name, highlight it. If you come across a number, highlight it. An important fact that seems to stand out to you, highlight it. It helped me remember where things were in the passage so that I could go back and find the answer if I couldn't remember what I read, which was most of it. I felt like the highlighting was taking up a lot of time but I finished the RC section with about 5 mins to go back and review. It is so much easier to scroll through the passage with names and important words highlighted as apposed to paragraphs of black type on white background.

Hey, I took the DAT 7/20/2016, I scored 21 in RC. There is a highlight feature on the real DAT. USE IT! It helped me out so much. If you come across a name, highlight it. If you come across a number, highlight it. An important fact that seems to stand out to you, highlight it. It helped me remember where things were in the passage so that I could go back and find the answer if I couldn't remember what I read, which was most of it. I felt like the highlighting was taking up a lot of time but I finished the RC section with about 5 mins to go back and review. It is so much easier to scroll through the passage with names and important words highlighted as apposed to paragraphs of black type on white background.
That didn't work on my test drive but I am sure it will work on my real test. Can you describe how you highlight and and do the strikethrough feature. Also does your mouse scroll wheel work for reading? It didn't on my test drive

That didn't work on my test drive but I am sure it will work on my real test. Can you describe how you highlight and and do the strikethrough feature. Also does your mouse scroll wheel work for reading? It didn't on my test drive
So to highlight, you hold left click and select text you want to highlight. Once you let go of the left button, a little highlight button appears at the end of the selected text. Click the icon and it highligths. Right click the highlighted text and either another button appears at the end of the text to remove highlight or the right click will just remove it, can't remember because I hardly removed highlight.

The strike through feature was handy too. Just right click on the choice you want to strikethrough and it will be done. Right click again and the strikethrough disappears. Also, if you select the answer that you did the strikethrough, it will fill the bubble and remove the strikethrough.

The scroll wheel only moved the screen if answer choices were out of view. I believe I had to use the slide bar on the side to move through the article. The test also would not show "Next" button until you scrolled to the bottom of the screen to make sure you see all available answers.

So to highlight, you hold left click and select text you want to highlight. Once you let go of the left button, a little highlight button appears at the end of the selected text. Click the icon and it highligths. Right click the highlighted text and either another button appears at the end of the text to remove highlight or the right click will just remove it, can't remember because I hardly removed highlight.

The strike through feature was handy too. Just right click on the choice you want to strikethrough and it will be done. Right click again and the strikethrough disappears. Also, if you select the answer that you did the strikethrough, it will fill the bubble and remove the strikethrough.

The scroll wheel only moved the screen if answer choices were out of view. I believe I had to use the slide bar on the side to move through the article. The test also would not show "Next" button until you scrolled to the bottom of the screen to make sure you see all available answers.
Ok thanks. Was it intuitive for the highlighting or did the actual tutorial before the DAT show you how to use it

I took the dat yesterday and got a 23 on RC section. It honestly was about 10x easier than bc. The questions were so easy to understand and it was simple to pick out the answers out of the text. All in order too. I finished with 8 minutes lefts and went back through and made a couple of changes. I only did 2 practice tests on bc

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone recommend Crack RC if bootcamp is overkill? I'm trying to look for more resources since I'm struggling with BC.

Out of everything you used which do you feel was the most representative of the test?