RC Help! Take DAT in 3 weeks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VinnyGram

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

So I have been preparing myself to take the DAT for about 3 months now and I will take it in about 3 weeks! (May 30th) I have been doing great on practice questions, tests, learning from mistakes, etc. and have scored a 21 on two full tests but really want to do better. Where I struggle is RC. I have been reading about half of the article, then answering which questions I can, using search and destroy to answer the rest. This strategy sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depending on the type of passage that I get. Recently, I have been running out of time and truly struggling to finish due to the difficulty of RC Bootcamp's tests (6-10). The passages are just so long/hard to comprehend, and there are so many application questions, its just overwhelming to the point where I can't finish on time without pausing the timer. I was wondering if anyone who took the DAT had any advice about this, if I should change anything? And is the RC on the actual DAT easier in comparison to the monstrous passages with very difficult questions in Bootcamp?

Members don't see this ad.

RC is easier than Bootcamp, not the reading itself, but the questions are easier.
My advice is not to worry about it. Don't even take tests anymore. Just keep on reading articles or novels every day for an hour and that's it.
Give the hardest article +25 minute, the second one 20 minutes and run through the last one in search and destroy.
That's what I did and I got 21. Pretty proud of it since English is not my first language!

Don't stress it, you'll do fine so long you keep on reading articles or a chapter or two from a novel every day and don't spend more than 35 minutes on one essay on the real test. ( honestly, I used to read webtoon 2 hours everyday, I am a slacker and I like to read nice stuff lol, I even read webtoon on my break before RC- Webtoons are online free manga on webtoon site or app)

If you want more practice that is more search and destroys. RCQVAULT is like that.
Or Crack the dat, their RC is more in between not pretty hard, but not pretty easy.

FYI: I never scored more than 17 on RC Bootcamp, it always stressed me and made me feel miserable.

Once I took Kaplan and got my first 23 on RC, I felt I can do it! I felt I got this. So, yeah try to do an easier test to feel confident again, trust me it will help!

Because at the end of the day, we all can read, it's the stress and fear of not catching up is what paralyze us!

I was scoring consistently between a 19-21 on BootCamp RC. I scored a 26 on the actual and strictly used search and destroy. I never got anything close to that score on BC

Boot Camp is very tough on reading, just continue to practice and work on answering as best you can and work on your time management, if you're spending too much time on a question and can't find the answer, move on and come back

RC is easier than Bootcamp, not the reading itself, but the questions are easier.
My advice is not to worry about it. Don't even take tests anymore. Just keep on reading articles or novels every day for an hour and that's it.
Give the hardest article +25 minute, the second one 20 minutes and run through the last one in search and destroy.
That's what I did and I got 21. Pretty proud of it since English is not my first language!

Don't stress it, you'll do fine so long you keep on reading articles or a chapter or two from a novel every day and don't spend more than 35 minutes on one essay on the real test. ( honestly, I used to read webtoon 2 hours everyday, I am a slacker and I like to read nice stuff lol, I even read webtoon on my break before RC- Webtoons are online free manga on webtoon site or app)

If you want more practice that is more search and destroys. RCQVAULT is like that.
Or Crack the dat, their RC is more in between not pretty hard, but not pretty easy.

FYI: I never scored more than 17 on RC Bootcamp, it always stressed me and made me feel miserable.

Once I took Kaplan and got my first 23 on RC, I felt I can do it! I felt I got this. So, yeah try to do an easier test to feel confident again, trust me it will help!

Because at the end of the day, we all can read, it's the stress and fear of not catching up is what paralyze us!
That's awesome, thank you very much I appreciate it! Congrats on your score!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was scoring consistently between a 19-21 on BootCamp RC. I scored a 26 on the actual and strictly used search and destroy. I never got anything close to that score on BC

Boot Camp is very tough on reading, just continue to practice and work on answering as best you can and work on your time management, if you're spending too much time on a question and can't find the answer, move on and come back
Great that makes me feel better thank you! Congrats on your score, that's amazing!

Reactions: 1 users
19s-21s on Bootcamp and got a 23 on the real RC. I used search and destroy only. Passages were more interesting for me which I think helped but this varies, and the questions were easier too.

Based on what people have said in the past, Bootcamp's RC is the least representative (as you can see peoples numbers are all over the place compared to their bootcamp scores). You're more likely to find better tests on CracktheDAT or DATqvault