RC-can't get out of 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

xxxTheDonxxx

this is frustrating...i know this section is the easiest, but i can't get out of 17. I practice both topscore and dat achiever and get 17s for both. i read the passage, did a quick road map (about 8 min total) and the rest for scanning for answers. I run into questions where I have no idea where they are in the passage. I am missing something...help!

Members don't see this ad.

i got frustrated so i kept on practicing....i found out that with light roadmap(or none) and with heavy skimming I got up to 19 and 20. if you are in my shoes...hope this helps!

xxxTheDonxxx said:
i got frustrated so i kept on practicing....i found out that with light roadmap(or none) and with heavy skimming I got up to 19 and 20. if you are in my shoes...hope this helps!

i'm a fairly avid reader so reading comprehension was actually by far the easiest section for me... my thing is to read over the questions first rather than the passage...that allows me to know what they want me to look for...which saves time because your brain will focus in on those keywords when you skim the passages. another thing that will help is to read for fun a whole lot before you take the DAT...when you read for purely pleasure you generally read a lot faster than say if you were staring at a textbook...thus you will be already in speed-read mode when you go in for the exam, which is HIGHLY to your benefit. hope this helps someone :)

try different strategies, and see which you are most comfortable with. for me, roadmap was a waste of time. it took longer locating the keywords, and plus my handwriting made things a mess. but, for others it works very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
food4thots said:
try different strategies, and see which you are most comfortable with. for me, roadmap was a waste of time. it took longer locating the keywords, and plus my handwriting made things a mess. but, for others it works very well.
I second that!!

Roadmap was helpful to me. Not a whole lot but still.
I used to get 17-19 in the practice rc but in the real thing i got a 22. unbelievable eh! I think the added intensity of taking the real test helps a little.

I never read... and I hate reading... got an 18.... God bless you readers.
-C

I read slower, didn't take any notes and was able to answer a good number of questions w/o having to refer back to the passages.