RC advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1229ko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have tried just about every strategy for RC and i still can't get above a 17 on my bootcamp tests. I'm very pleased with my sciences but my RC score is really getting me down. My test is in one week so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Is English your second language? How many BC exams have you taken?

Have you tried the mapping strategy? English is my second language as well and was able to pull a 20 on the DAT. The highest I got was a 19 on BC.

You should read the first 4 questions. Then you should read the first 5 paragraphs, jotting a few words per paragraph. Then go through all the questions and answer as many as you can. Then continue reading and answering. Dont spend more than 22 minutes per passage.

I personally found it easier to do the search and destroy method. I ended up with extra time. I also marked the harder questions "statement correct, reason is not" and would save it until the end so that I could answer the easier questions. Try highlight key words from passages as you skim through so that you know where to look. I guess mapping would help also.

This is what I did, and I was able to get a 25; it might work out for you! Maybe try it out on a bootcamp practice test. Hope this helps:)
My strategy was similar to ppaa's above, and this is what I used on the real thing (only took that 1RC as you know, didn't have a strategy at that time lol) :
1) Number according to how many paragraphs you have
2) I read each paragraph quickly and summarized it in one sentence - I did this for all the paragraphs. Highlighted important stuff like names/dates/keywords
3) Attempted the questions - most of mine were in order, so I read what it was asking, looked down at my paper with my summary sentences, found the paragraph it would most likely be in, answered the question.
** I did take too long on the second passage, cause man it was so boring, so I modified my plan. But the steps above worked really well for my first two passages, and would've worked on the third had I not spent so much time on the second boring one.
3rd passage's strategy: modified S&D I guess
1) I looked at questions 1-5, wrote what they were asking down.
2) Read the paragraph until I had come upon every question. After I found an answer for a question, I wrote it down on my paper (I didn't answer it right away). Highlighted important stuff.
3) I quickly answered the first 5, boom boom boom. Went onto the next 5, did the same thing. Again, most of my questions were in order and it ended up working very well for me.
Hope it helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Is English your second language? How many BC exams have you taken?

Have you tried the mapping strategy? English is my second language as well and was able to pull a 20 on the DAT. The highest I got was a 19 on BC.

You should read the first 4 questions. Then you should read the first 5 paragraphs, jotting a few words per paragraph. Then go through all the questions and answer as many as you can. Then continue reading and answering. Dont spend more than 22 minutes per passage.
No it's not. And I took BC tests 6-10. But thanks! I'll try this

Reactions: 1 user