Rate My Progress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sortie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This specifically isn't a WAMC thread since I haven't applied to any schools yet nor taken the DAT (I will this upcoming spring). I just wanted to ask if my progress looks okay or if I need to do more. Below are my stats, thank you for your help:

(Certain names have been redacted)
I am currently a first semester junior.

School/ Academic Activities:

· Healthcare Ethics and Issues Association at my university- Co-Founder and Social Media Manager (March 2018- Present). I help post news articles on our Facebook page and moderate the page's discussions. We have about 15 members. At our actual meetings, we discuss contemporary healthcare issues, and sometimes debate about them. (Academic EC, leadership)

· Undergraduate Research Assistant (August 2018- Present)- We are studying salivary gland cancers using techniques such as western blotting and immunofluorescence. This research is taking place at SIU School of Dental Medicine, the school I want to go to. (Research)

· Target Corporation Sales Floor Team Member and New Team Member Trainer (May 2017- Present)- I make sure the sales floor is fully stocked with items, help guests when needed, and keep the store clean. I also train new Team Members in how to work at Target, how to help guests, use company equipment, and how to keep merchandise presentable. I work about 15 hours a week. (Job)

Shadowing:

1. Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon- 29 hours
2. General Dentist - 7 hours
3. Orthodontist- 24 hours
4. General Dentist- 19 hours
5. 2 General Dentists in the same office- 23 hours (One of the dentists was a professor at SIU Dental School, I am thinking about asking him for a LOR. He is also the dentist I go to so I don't just know him from shadowing.)

Total Hours Shadowed: 102 Hours

Volunteering:
· I helped campaign for someone that was running for County Board Member during the primaries. He won in the primaries and won unopposed in the general election. 6 hours.

Total Hours Volunteering: 6 Hours

GPA:
CGPA: 3.729
SGPA= 3.44
Misc.: My father went to SIU Dental School, so I am a legacy applicant, but I don't know how important that is for dental school. I am also a student at SIU currently, an Illinois resident, and U.S. citizen.
---
Honestly the only school I want to go to is SIU School of Dental Medicine. I haven't really researched many other schools, so I still need to do that.
---
Concerns:
  • My volunteering hours are definitely thin.
  • I got a "B" in Art History, Intro to Psychology, and I may get a "B" in Reasoning & Argumentation (An intro philosophy class).
  • I'm not really close to any professors for a LOR, except the professor at the dental school that is supervising the research, but I never had a class with this professor.
---
This is all I can think of, but please tear this apart wherever you can. If there are any areas I can improve, any areas left out, or any areas that are okay, I'm all ears. Thank you for all of your help and I'm sorry if the formatting was a little off through out.

Members don't see this ad.

"I got a "B" in Art History, Intro to Psychology, and I may get a "B" in Reasoning & Argumentation (An intro philosophy class)"

Chill bro. I got a C in anatomy and C in pre-calculus lol

You are doing great apart from volunteering. I'd aim for 300 hours volunteering and 200 hours of shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
Really work on your volunteering by aiming for 100+ hours.

I would also maybe do a few (~50-ish) more hours with a general dentist, but your total shadowing hours seem solid.

Start going to office hours for professors so that you can build a relationship for LORs.

Finally, your extracurriculars look good, and good for you to be working as well. I think you’re on the right track!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really work on your volunteering by aiming for 100+ hours.

I would also maybe do a few (~50-ish) more hours with a general dentist, but your total shadowing hours seem solid.

Start going to office hours for professors so that you can build a relationship for LORs.

Finally, your extracurriculars look good, and good for you to be working as well. I think you’re on the right track!
I agree with DSchoolBust

Focus your shadowing on General Dentistry. While being familiar with specialties is important, that is not really your focus at this time.