rash pic...is it atheletes foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am posting this Q because I have a small problem...one is that I have had this rash on the bottom of my foot for a few months now...it'll get red and itch like hell...then it will go away for awhile...yesterday was a really bad day because it itched really bad...also little blisters would pop up, and I would have to pop them..(not as painful as it sounds, more of a relief when I do pop the blisters)...If i scrub my feet every day it's fine...but God Forbid if i forget a day. I forgot a day the day 'fore yesterday...any advice on what it is and how I can treat it? I have included a pic of the rash...sorry to bother y'all with this.........

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• footrash.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 205
hey, that is quite normal.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I plan to see a doctor about it...I just have to schedule a time...because my doctor--an HMO(Kaiser Permanente)--is about 40-50 miles away from my house....I just would like to know what it is from here so I will have done my research, and know somewhat what I am talking about with this rash...cause I have no earthly idea WHAT it is!.....

kaiser permanente is my parents HMO....go figure why the hell they have not changed yet to some place closer......:rolleyes:

Originally posted by OwlMyste
I just would like to know what it is from here so I will have done my research

I don't know if I would call getting anonymous advice from strangers on an internet forum, "research", but maybe it's just me.

It's your lucky day!

I just happen to be a podiatrist and, while it isn't really appropriate to give medical advice over the internet (especially if I've never seen you), I can give you some suggestions.

It's impossible to tell what it is without a closer look at both of your feet. I will tell you, though, that the most common condition that presents with these type of symptoms is called Tinea pedis (Athlete's Foot). In a healthy person, it is a benign (not dangerous) condition. It can usually be treated with over the counter anti-fungal creams or sprays.

I would advise this: Keep your feet as dry as you can. Make sure your shoes and socks remain dry and, if possible, change your socks once a day. It's probably a good idea to buy some sort of anti-fungal spray liquid or spray powder from the drugstore and spray directly into your shoes and socks every day. In addition, you should apply a topical antifungal cream (such as Lamisil AT) all over both of your feet (and between the toes) every day for at least 2 weeks. The directions say one week, but two weeks is a better idea. You need to wash and dry your feet beforehand for the best results. The itching and blistering should subside after about a week, but everyone has a different reaction.

Don't worry about the blistering. It's pretty common with athlete's foot. If it isn't any better after 2-3 weeks of this strategy (doing it religiously) then you might have another problem that either a podiatrist or dermatologist should look at.